News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is a vinal top instalation on a 72se too mutch to tackle myself???

Started by chargercalvin, March 06, 2008, 09:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargercalvin

i have a 72 charger se the only rust on the car was under the vinal. it was bad. i patched everything up best i could but it wont ever be strait enough to paint so i want to throw a vinal top back on it. i got a $750 estimate from the only vinal guy in my area. if a bought a pre fit vinal top could me and my buds do it ourselves??? and also how should i prep my top so that it doesn't turn into a rusty, bondo crackin mess. will a couple coats of good primer seal it? and will the little high spots and waves and dings show up through the vinal, im talkin about stuff thats not visible in primer but can be felt. and were can i buy the vinal and glue and such?? i would appreciate any advice anyone has on the matter.
-Calvin

Charger-Bodie

you could probably handle it ,but Id leave it to the pros if I were you.

they usually don't charge too terribly much for the install.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemihead

Those are easy . For that price I should start installing them .  :yesnod:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

gordo1968charger

i got mine fitted for 80 quid.could nt see the point of trying myself. :yesnod:
plus it saved time
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

chargercalvin

ok i guess i should shop around then if i can get it done for pretty cheap that sounds like the way to go
thanks

hutch

if you have the top, getting someone to put it on that knows what they are doing is not that expensing or hard to do.  Lots of used car lots know people that do custom work like that from home.   You can ask around and find someone pretty quick I think.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

bill440rt

I found that most places were charging about $300-$350 to install a top in my area (NJ). That's JUST for installation, I already had the top.
I decided to tackle it myself, on my '69. I'd imagine a '72 SE would be much easier, you don't have the sail panels to contend with.
I posted a thread on how this is done, do a simple search on this 'site & you'll find it.

Don't even ask about a headliner, my local upholstery shops didn't even want to touch it, & others quoted me prices of $400!!!  :faint:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Nacho-RT74

3rd gens are a little bit harder than a 2nd gen, but is "doable". I made it two times on mine. Tricky but still.

Need to take in mind, that the streching stuff on C pillar is backward than 2nd gens article, toward to front. You can't stretch it toward to rear because need to keep in place the vinyl area down the rear glass, that's why is imposible to stretch it toward to rear like on 2nd gens.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html