News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my new 440 build-any suggestions?

Started by andy74, March 04, 2008, 10:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

gathered all my parts, have a .030 over 440, 9.5 to 1 compression,forged flat tops,mildly ported 906 heads,decked and new valve springs installed, a used edelbrock torquer intake,750 edelbrock avs carb, comp cams xe274 h cam, new gaskets and attendant hardware- going in my 72 charger with a 2400 stall and 3.55 rear gears , how did i do? any ideas on what the horsepower i should expect? got some really good deals on parts and pieces,and am reusuing some stuff from my spare 440,so let me know what you guys think! :cheers:

andy74

firefighter3931

Looks good Andy.....but i would use a different carb.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 06, 2008, 08:59:15 PM

Ron
What carb would you use Ron? is this to small or would you recomend something different?i havent purchased the carb yet,its the only thing i have left to buy

firefighter3931

Quote from: andy74 on March 08, 2008, 08:54:32 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 06, 2008, 08:59:15 PM

Ron
What carb would you use Ron? is this to small or would you recomend something different?i havent purchased the carb yet,its the only thing i have left to buy

That cam will have some overlap and sound lopey at idle so it needs a carb with a more agressive fuel curve. It will be much easier to tune with the right carburator. The Proform carb should be "bang on" right out of the box.

Here's what i would use  :2thumbs:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRO%2D67213&N=700+4294925239+4294839063+4294919007+400405+1051506943+115&autoview=sku

Other parts :

(1) felpro 1215 intake gasket with heat crossover block off
(2) thick carb base insulating gasket
(3) a good 14x3 air cleaner assembly with a flo-thru top and drop base for hood clearance
(4) NGK XR5 spark plugs gapped at .035

> degree the cam in and install it on a 104* intake centerline

> tune the ignition curve with 18* of timing at idle and 36-38* total all in by 2600-2800 rpm and disable the vacuum advance

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

4aThrill

Dam Ron  I never heard of that carb before but it sure does look  :drool5: great housing everything kinda looks like a demon but with a holley body.  :Twocents:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 4aThrill on March 10, 2008, 04:57:38 PM
Dam Ron  I never heard of that carb before but it sure does look  :drool5: great housing everything kinda looks like a demon but with a holley body.  :Twocents:

Ya, they (Proform) are basicly a Holley HP series carb with radiused venturies, downleg boosters and billet metering blocks/baseplate without the big pricetag. They work just as good as they look !  :2thumbs:

Ron

4aThrill

andy74

i am probably going to be forced into waiting although i have the parts,may have to go in a different car,my fucking boss  :flame:locked us all out of the store and closed the other day,so i may need to sell the charger,hopefully something else works out but if i do sell,this engine will go in
my next hot rod-thanks for the help though Ron ill talk to ya soon

:brickwall: :RantExplode: :flame: :spank: :nutkick: :pullinghair: :flush: :idiot:

Streetwize

Good combo,

I actually like the Thunder AVS, in fact I swapped one on to my 427" Cobra Replica because the double pumper made it too squirrelly. I like being able to tweak the secondaries..it's a good carb that when it's tuned right really gives away very little to a Holley.
Wize

www.StreetwizePerformance.com

Challenger340

Thats Crappy to hear ANDY, I hope things work out better soon.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Dammit Andy.....so sorry to hear this news. Take care of business first and put the car on the back burner for now. Keep your head up buddy !  :2thumbs:

Ron

CFMopar

If you want you can buy proform main bodies
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRO-67100C&N=700+400405+115&autoview=sku

little cheaper if u already have an old holly kicking around.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g