News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear uspension ideas?

Started by ereru7, February 24, 2008, 09:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ereru7

70 charger going to tub it, any ideas for rear suspension?

Mefirst

How fast are you planing on driving, and do you plan to drive straight or have left/right turns in the track???

/Tom

Mike DC

If it's a real street car:

Only tub the wheelwells up to the factory subframe rails.  Relocate the leaf springs onto the rails themselves, and drive it like that.  Simple, fairly effective, and involves much less hacking than a full backhalving job.

There are grippier setups out there.
But this works for a car that exists in the real world and might actually come in contact with a pothole or a puddle another time in its life.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it's a race car, then start getting into 4-links and total backhalving jobs. 

And if you're gonna scrap everything on the chassis behind the front seats, then I would suggest at least trying to start with a rusty body shell.  The hobby has no shortage of 2nd-gen Charger bodies that need their entire rear subframes replaced. 

Challenger340

I'm with MikeDC on this one, even further maybe, unless you're well over the 600 H.P. mark.

Why are you planning any tubbing at all ? How fast are you planning on going ?

Takes a whole lotta power and tire, to overcome a properly setup SS springs/Caltrac/Tire deal, and those don't require any body butcher'in, and it's cheap.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Rolling_Thunder

We mini-tubbed a 69 Charger at the shop here before and we easily fit a 345/50/15   - - -    we kept the leaf springs and just moved them inboard - we also kept a stock tank and 3" exhaust    :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

suntech

XV Motorsports (and I) are going 335/30 x18 rear, without tubbing. You will need to massage the outer weelhouse, and roll the fenderlip, but if you have good sidesupport ( panhard or wattslink) there will be room.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Blown70

TUBBED 70,  Narrowed Dana 60,  4 link,  wishbone.  4:56 with spool.

gj69charger

69 Tubbed.Ā  Narrowed Ford 9in. 4 link.