News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First gen worth checking out? UPDATE: pictures, and it's a satellite

Started by terrible one, February 22, 2008, 12:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Well the other day it was pretty nice outside so I had the "shop" wide open while I was working on my disc brake swap for the '68, and the guy delivering around the area for FedEx stops the truck on the way out of the area and comes over to shoot the shit with me. OF course, the first question was if I wanted to sell my '68, but after telling him no a story followed about his buddy having a '66 or '67 Charger but wanted a second gen. He told me he didn't know what motor was in it but that it didn't run but was complete and not in too bad of shape. Of course, you never know what that could mean by word, but he said it could be had for under $1,000, which makes me think about coming at his buddy with a few hundred in cash. Still though, I'm not at all familiar with the first gens. I got the guy's number, but is it even worth checking out? He said it was in a location about 30 miles away from me.

Oh yeah, and guess what?

I AM LOOKING TO FLIP IT!

So I'm not going to tell everyone not to jump aboard and complain about me WANTING TO MAKE MONEY SO THAT I CAN GET MY '68 ON THE ROAD, but let it be known that I could care less if you disagree with my methods of making money and finishing my project.

Thanks!

JR

Normally flippers irk me, but in this case I wouldn't blame you for doing it to make money for your 68.

The only problem I see is that first gens are a very tough car to sell. The non Mopar public just think their ugly, and the Mopar guys won't pay you much cause its "Just a first gen".

Sadly they are worth more in parts than whole once they get to that condition, but I don't think I'd sleep well at night parting ANY restorable 66-74 Charger.

If you can get it right, I'd say go for it, but don't expect it to sell overnight.

That being said, first gens are awesome. Someone out there would love to give it a good home.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

FastbackJon

Just be careful. Chances are you will end up liking the '66/'67 better and will be selling your '68 to restore the fastback. You can say whatever you want up and down, left and right about which is best if you have only owned one year, but I have found that the majority of owners (such as myself) who actually own a '66/'67 and another generation (I also have a restored '68 Charger R/T) like the '66/'67 much better. I think it is just a matter of how much more character the car has, combined with how much more rare it is.

I have also found that more people recognize my '68 R/T, but I get way more positive comments on the '66 Charger. I guess it could have something to do with my red '66 Charger being built up to actually look like a muslecar, unlike some, or maybe I should say a lot of the fastbacks you see out there with the skinny tires on 14" granny wheels.

Granted I still love all the Chargers, including '68, '69, '70, '71 at least up through '74, and would still love to get my hands on a few of them to fill out the collection, but I have my preferences and have found quite a few other owners in my situation to feel the same way.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to sell the '68, then don't buy the '66/'67.

;D

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

ITSA426

The first gen cars sort of grow on you.  We've got nine of them up and running. 

I liked them in 1966 and don't like them any less now.  They can be a challenge to restore if you don't know where to get the parts you need.

19Charger68

I used to own a cherry 66 and I loved it.  Granted, the exterior is not as sharp as the other generations, but in my mind, the entire interior was one of the nicest ever.
Bruce

ITSA426

Driving at night with those EL dash lights make the car.  In fact, I bought the car my son now has because the dash lights came on when I pulled on the parking lights, and the headlight motors extended the headlights as advertised.  Still worked last time I tried them.

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: ITSA426 on February 22, 2008, 03:58:30 PM
Driving at night with those EL dash lights make the car.  In fact, I bought the car my son now has because the dash lights came on when I pulled on the parking lights, and the headlight motors extended the headlights as advertised.  Still worked last time I tried them.
:iagree:

:2thumbs:

Paul G

Don't worry about flipping it, just do it if that is what it will take to get some extra cash to spend on your keeper project. Money is hard enough to come by. Make it wherever you can. Besides if you put that first gen up on the net the next owner may never have found it otherwise.

I flipped a Honda V65 Magna last year and used the money to buy the new Mag 500's I put on my Charger. I would not have bought them if it were not for the extra cash from the Honda. I sold that Honda to a guy on a V65 forum (where I advertised it) and he drove four hours up here to get it. I was glad to see it go to someone who was planning to restore it, not someone who would have bought it to thrash or part out. Those V65 guys were grateful I did not intend to part it out. Which would have been even more profitable, I just don't believe in doing that.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

FastbackJon

Oh yeah, and also from personal experience, I've bought a few Chargers, thinking I would just fix them up and turn around and sell them to make some profit.

I'd find one that hasn't been on the road in 20 years, buy it super cheap. I would think that if I just vacuumed it out and cleaned it up and aired up the tires and didn't spend much on it, I could make a quick buck.

So I would do that then I'd think, well if I do a little more work on it, and actually get it running, I could sell it for more. So I'd put a little money and elbow grease into it and get the electrical working, then the engine running, then the brakes done so then it was back on the road and drivable, with the plan in mind to keep the fixing up costs (overhead) low so I can maximize profit.

But then once you do all that work, and actually get to drive a car that you yourself have put your effort into and "brought back to life" that has been off the road for that long, you really can't bring yourself to sell it. Not to mention you have a cool old drivable muscle car that you don't have much money into.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

dodgecharger-fan

dukeboy_318

where was it located, is it still for sell?  a 68 or 69 sateilite for a grand aint too bad if its in decent shape.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

kylem4711

thats worth more than a first gen charger
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

terrible one

Oh yeah, I'm still going to check it out. I didn't know it was worth more though. . .

The guy called me but I missed it, I'll have to get back with him. He told me he was looking to get $700 for it int he voicemail he left me, so no matter what I'm still going to check it out. I'll let the location go after I've had my rounds.

FastbackJon

Neither one will fetch a ton of money if you went all the way to do a full restoration. The Satellite would be easier to restore just because of parts availability. I'd also say the Satellite is worth less just because it is less desirable because it doesn't have the muscle car image/history like the Charger does, but you can check completed eBay listings to see for yourself.

'68/'69 Satellite
http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___W0QQMake247a0eZPlymouth9c2da50aQQModel4710b09ZSatellite1952e91bQQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_flZl2QQ_verZ4?ModelYearf0c65f14=19691722eb&ModelYearf0c65f14=19681722ea

'66/'67 Charger
http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___W0QQMake247a0eZDodge3f237b7QQModel4710b09ZCharger8f45cc1eQQGeneration890a8538Z19661967983b2aeQQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_catZ6199QQ_fxdZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_pcatsZ6191Q2c6001Q2c6000

kylem4711

Quote from: FastbackJon on February 25, 2008, 04:31:15 AM
Neither one will fetch a ton of money if you went all the way to do a full restoration. The Satellite would be easier to restore just because of parts availability. I'd also say the Satellite is worth less just because it is less desirable because it doesn't have the muscle car image/history like the Charger does, but you can check completed eBay listings to see for yourself.

'68/'69 Satellite
http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___W0QQMake247a0eZPlymouth9c2da50aQQModel4710b09ZSatellite1952e91bQQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_flZl2QQ_verZ4?ModelYearf0c65f14=19691722eb&ModelYearf0c65f14=19681722ea

'66/'67 Charger
http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks___W0QQMake247a0eZDodge3f237b7QQModel4710b09ZCharger8f45cc1eQQGeneration890a8538Z19661967983b2aeQQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_catZ6199QQ_fxdZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_pcatsZ6191Q2c6001Q2c6000

i would have to disagree with you and say that the satellite is worth more because most people think that the first gen charger is an ugly car.
not me, i think they look awesome

also, you can just try to sell it as a road runner or a gtx clone. those cars do have the muscle car history.

FastbackJon

No problem. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

:yesnod:

terrible one

Well, I finally got in contact with the guy today. I'll probably go out there to see it and take pictures tomorrow or Thursday. He said that it's a Satellite and he doesn't know what year it is but that someone told him it was a '66? I didn't even know they made Satellites that far back. I guess we'll see though!

Tilar

Yeah they made em in 66. It was the first year and looks like a belvedere.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dodgecharger-fan

41husk

I ahve bought and sold many cars, but I am really not a flipper.  I tend to put a bunch of time and money into them, have them a few years and sell them to move on to something else, and I always end up looking for another like the one I sold because I miss it :shruggy:  My wife says I'm sick :rotz: but it seems my favorite mopar is my next or my last :brickwall: Be careful flipping the car may just grow on you.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

terrible one

Do believe me, I hear you guys completely. I'm excited about the car, will get it running if I can, and then of course will want to drive it some, etc. etc. BUT my heart is with the '68 Charger, and I don't have room for another car anyways. As of right now, not even knowing what year it is or condition, I WANT this car.  :shruggy:

Mopar440+6

Aww man, TO. I WANT a 66 or 67 Satellite or Belvedere in a BAD way! :RantExplode: Thats the next project if the Charger ever gets done. I LOVE those cars...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

terrible one

Well, I made it out there today. The car definitely is either a '66 or '67. Originally white or some light yellow with white interior. All there, except back wheels, bumpers, and a door panel. Body and frame are very solid. Small block car. Ratted up, but it really is solid. No clue what it's worth. Poking and prodding it seems like $600 would do the trick. I don't think it's worth much more than that, but I'll post the pictures up later tonight and see what you guys think. The guy was real cool, is in the scrap business. Goes out and crushes thousands of cars, brings home the ones he likes. Had lots of old Mustangs, Vettes, a '66 or something GTO maybe that was GONE, early fastback Torino, Novas, etc. but he was way more into the old four wheel drive stuff, and had LOTS of it. As you can see, the Satellite sits alone in a big field that he said he cleared out. After I told him I was a Mopar fan he told me the sad stories of the Coronets, Furys, etc. that he had crushed. Another cool thing though is that he knows where a rusty '68 R/T and a base '69 are, right beside each other. Said the guy wanted $3,000 for both, but thought that was too much, but now the guy's brother owns them and wants them gone, told me that we would be in contact about them for sure, so that's probably the most exciting part of the trip. Good guy, and a good connection for sure. . . pictures up in a couple of hours!

kylem4711