News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 color choice

Started by thatildo68, February 21, 2008, 03:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatildo68

hey guys my 68 rt has paint code AA1 silver metallic were many 68 chargers painted that color with black roof and black interior?
as soon as the painfully slow restoration is complete i plan on painting it black but with matching numbers engine,trans,and rear end
maybe original color is worth thinking about, any opinions?  :Twocents:

histoy

I think the silver metallic paint with black top and interior looks awesome.   I'd paint it in the original color.

Troy

Very few cars were painted silver but I honestly don't know the exact number. I can tell you this: there are more black cars now than any other color and most weren't that way originally. Seriously, two years ago at the Nationals the first eleven 68-70 Chargers that I saw were black - but none of them started out that way. Of course, black looks awesome so why not! Silver cars do look very nice and you aren't likely to run into a twin of your car. I tend to like to keep things original if all the pieces are there so I'd paint it silver since it's numbers matching. Depending on where you live and your driving habits, driving a triple black car in the summer is NOT a pleasant experience and black gets dirty in milliseconds. A silver car will hide road grime so your car will look presentable even after a 50 mile trip to the show. What can I say, I'm lazy and can't stand the idea of hovering over my car with a California Duster all day. :D Unfortunately, I do have a factory black car too so I'll have to deal with it eventually.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69 OUR/TEA

I would have to give my opinion as this,you already have the car,it is a real R/T with matching numbers,being a true american muscle car,I would  have to say  keep original color.Although I am not a big fan of silver,alot of people really like it,the originality would override me and keep it orig.You tend to see the resto mods,pro touring,or clones and tributes done to  318 cars.On your choice of black,I could'nt agree more,that has been my all time favorite,a factory triple black 69 R/T.
  I have gone thru just what you are asking,I have a 69 R/T,B5 blue ,white top and white stripe.During the bodywork stage,there were numerous times I was on edge to change it to trip black,but the same for me,I am not a big B5 blue fan,it's O.K,but does not do for me what  a 3x black charger would do,and as many responses to that color combo showed me that alot of people liked it,must not be so bad after all.So original color  it stayed.Even after the car was painted,I still had the desire for a trip black 69,and being in the right place at the right time,back in Jan,I found and bought a triple black 69 R/T SE ,dilema solved!!!!!!
   If you really want a black charger that bad,finish this one,get another9buy a 318 car to keep the cost down) and build the way you like,color,engine,wheels,etc..... But it is your car,so however you decide,it should be whatever makes you happy regardless.Good luck.

68charger383

I think the silver with black is a really nice/sharp color combination.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Charger-Bodie

Id go with the original color on that Charger, and I am a Big time fan of Black Chargers.

It is youre car though so do what YOU want.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger2fast4u

i look at it like this it's a all matching #'s car so why not keep it the same color it came especially when it's a good looking color and kinda rare. i'd do like 69 our/tea said about buying a second one and building it to your liking  my  :Twocents:

Mike DC

For anything gray/silver, I think I would pick a modern paint color rather than use one of the original factory Mopar 1960s colors. 

There are tons of awesome gray/charcoal/silver/steel colors being invented by the OEMs these days.  They just don't stick out in our minds because the factories spray them onto the most boring plastic sedans imaginable. 

thatildo68

wow great responce to what i thought was a very basic question, a slammed down triple black 68 charger with big wheels looks
so impressive like a black panther on the prowl but like you say an all origanal matching number RT its better to keep it looking factory,
just pick a different texture of silver- cheers

Mike DC

I would also vote to skip the vinyl top and just paint the vinyl top's area with low-gloss black paint instead.  Same overall look, but it's cleaner/more modern and it's less prone to rust. 

68hardchargerrt

Quote from: thatildo68 on February 21, 2008, 03:02:35 AM
hey guys my 68 rt has paint code AA1 silver metallic were many 68 chargers painted that color with black roof and black interior?
as soon as the painfully slow restoration is complete i plan on painting it black but with matching numbers engine,trans,and rear end
maybe original color is worth thinking about, any opinions?  :Twocents:

Just wanted to drop you a line and add that I also have an original '68 R/T AA1 Silver car with the C6X Black interior.  I think it looks awesome and I very rarely have seen another in this color.  I am partial to Silver being I have had this car for sooo long, but I also think Black looks incredible covering this car.

Here are some pics so you can get an idea of what it looks like on my car.  Mine also came originally with a Black vinyl top, but it was not installed when I got the car and I chose to leave it off as I was missing the Chrome check moulding.  I think it looks cleaner and more racier on my car this way, but that is jus my opinion.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/chevellefan69/?action=view&current=100_1337.jpg

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/chevellefan69/?action=view&current=100_1338.jpg

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/chevellefan69/?action=view&current=100_1339.jpg

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you go with,
Greg.

"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

thatildo68

thanks for the photos greg some of them are back to back with the black chargers hanging on my workshop wall to inspire me on
those long nights in the garage restoring my 68, hope to put some progress picks up in few months- cheers

drodg

Quote from: histoy on February 21, 2008, 07:57:39 AM
I think the silver metallic paint with black top and interior looks awesome.   I'd paint it in the original color.

I second that.  My first true love affair with a muscle car was my uncle's brand new 1968 Charger R/T silver black top black stripe.

BB1

I'd go with Silver, it's very unique. There are to many Black Charger out there as Troy pointed out.

BB1
Delete my profile

Ghoste

For my money, silver is the best color you can have on a 2nd gen Charger.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

thatildo68

thanks fellas to do the car justice, silver with the black vinyl roof it is cheers

chargerkid01

be like me go original My charger was white with dark metalic green interior and when it is done that is what it will be again along with the original 318 automatic!!