News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I see that the old IROC series is up for sale

Started by TruckDriver, February 20, 2008, 10:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemi68charger

IROC is alive and well. It's called Sprint Cup................  ::)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

The70RT

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 20, 2008, 10:18:29 AM

especially with all the outsiders coming in  :-\
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ponch ®

Quote from: The70RT on February 20, 2008, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 20, 2008, 10:18:29 AM

especially with all the outsiders coming in  :-\

Oh here we go again. If you really want NASCAR to be mentioned among the elite racing series in the world, then you gotta bring in the best drivers you can get. So maybe Villeneuve and Montoya are past their prime (Montoya not so much, I guess), but they still bring in a level of skill and experience. I don't care how funny Kenny Wallace is, or how much of a great guy Ken Schraeder is, or what Sterling Marlin did 20 years ago - the fact is, they suck nowadays and are just embarrassing themselves by trying to hang on too long. Gotta make room for the new guys.

Besides..what exactly is an outsider? Seems like that definition changes all the time. Mario Andretti and AJ Foyt were "outsiders" in their time, later on it was Jeff Gordon because he was from California and didn't sound like one of the rapists in "Deliverance" when he spoke, and now it's the open wheel guys.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

The70RT

Richard Petty says an outsider is the drivers coming in from other form of racing and not growing up in the traditional stockcar background and expecting to be known in the NASCAR world. Nowadays almost anyone from other forms of racing are allowed in. When they can qualify better than those old sucky guys I guess the will have to be a spectater. It isn't like they are just letting the sucky guys race because they been there so long. I guess maybe you mean the past champions provisionals....but they only get so many and I would say that is ok since they are the cornerstones that made NASCAR what it is today.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69_500

Maybe that is why they had to put IROC up for sale. They couldn't compete with the larger version of IROC (Sprint Cup Series).

I have no problem with the foreigner nor the foreign auto makers being in NASCAR series. No problem with that at all. I do however have a problem with NASCAR being a glorified IROC series though, where everything is dictated to the crews. IE you all run the same body. You all run the same gear. You all run these brand of tires. What is the point of every team having a crew chief? Shouldn't NASCAR just tell each driver when they should pit, or how many tires they should put on?

I think that if someone can build their engine to comfortably turn 12,000 rpm and he wants to run a 4.88 rear gear then let them. Where as if somene else wants to run 8,500 rpm, and run a 3.23 rear gear then let them. To each their own.