News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head gasket thickness

Started by ITSA426, February 19, 2008, 08:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITSA426

What's the thickest head gasket I can get for a 383 build, and who makes it?

I don't need 10:1 compression and would like to avoid some of the other issues so I'd like a little milder engine.

doctorpimp

Cometic makes them in compressed thickness from .027 to .120
I bought mine from FBO :
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Cometic-MLS_Gaskets.html

Don is a great guy and he'll get you what you need  :2thumbs:
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

ITSA426

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

firefighter3931

There are more economical gasket choices if you're looking to drop the compression ratio. The Cometic MLS gaskets require a special finish on the head & deck surfaces for proper sealing not to mention that they're quite expensive....at least twice the cost of a std felpro/rol replacement gasket.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tecmopar

Ron, doesn't Fel-Pro still make the .060 and .080 gaskets for this.

firefighter3931

Quote from: tecmopar on February 21, 2008, 05:13:36 AM
Ron, doesn't Fel-Pro still make the .060 and .080 gaskets for this.

They make a .051 compressed gasket with a larger bore diameter that adds about 4cc to the chamber volume as compared to the typical 1009 .040 head gasket.

On a 383 the static compression ratio is allways low anyway unless you have a positive deck flat top piston or a dome.  ;) The true 10:1 compression factory 383 hp's had pistons that were positive deck which worked fine with the open chamber heads. The best way to dial in the desired compression ratio is to measure the piston to deck clearance, CC the chamber then pick the appropriate head gasket. In this case with a 9:1 static ratio being the goal there should be no need for a custom head gasket. One of the off the shelf gaskets should work just fine.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs