News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going from power to manual brakes

Started by General Ryan, October 07, 2005, 12:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Ryan

How hard is this on a factory P/S car and is it worth it??

I went for a ride in one with manual brakes and it seemed to have better road feel/pedal feel and didn't differ too much from the feel of todays cars with power brakes, just need more foot power.

Also, I'm thinking of yanking my power steering as well for more feel and less slop but I'd have to get used to parking lot manuvers.

Do you think its worth it or beneficial?

beenaround

general i would pass on the brake idea.are you running disc or drums?? my brothers 69 bee had both manual steering and brakes.he hated it!!! too much of a bear to drive.

General Ryan

Ghoste

I've had B-body Mopars in both styles and I can't truthfully tell you what to do.  There are things I like and dislike about both.  I can say this, for a daily driver or even a nice regular cruiser, I prefer power brakes, power steering, and automatic.  Use the manual stuff for performance.

General Ryan

Thank you, that was the kind of response I wanted, but could you please elaborate a bit when you say "Performance"
Meaning track only or a heavy street mauler or just a weekend stop light warrior?

Ghoste

Everyone is going to define it differently but for me, I don't necessarily mean track only.  I do tend to think of it (in this scenario) as a car that is a pretty serious threat.  To put it in perspective, a 69 Charger RT with 440 automatic power steering and brakes and 3:55 rearend is still going to be plenty of fun to drive and even take to the strip once in a while.  But, you'd still be able to drive it on a long cruise or in heavy traffic or just for an upscale night on the town.   On the other hand, stick a 502 stroker in there with 4:56 gears and nothing that isn't needed to go fast and you get the same car that you can still drive on the street, but how long do you want to be in heavy traffic with it?
Does that make sense at all?

General Ryan

Plenty and thanks for that reply.

I thought you were speaking directly about my combo when u referred to the R/T w/440 PS, PB and 3:55 gears, its pretty fun, but I was curious if any thought the manual stuff just had a better feel/control of what the car was doing.

firefighter3931

I like power steering for a street driven car....just makes driving it more user friendly. I'm converting mine from power brakes to manual....it's getting the SS Brakes force-10 disc brake upgrade to replace the front drums. Most big cams don't make enough engine vacuum to run a power booster and i won't let power brakes dictate how much cam i can run in the motor. There are vaccum reservoir cans available to help but it's a bandaid fix at best. Big cam = manual brakes.   ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

That's the beauty (or curse?) of Chargers.  They are such a good looking car that who wouldn't want to be seen cruising in one.  On the other hand, they are a Mopar and as such, lend themselves to high performance quite readily.  Not to mention that for a geat looking cruising vehicle they also make an aggressive looking race vehicle.
That's why it was Dodge's flagship in the classic years.  It was their car of choice for the highly visible NASCAR events but it was also highly advertised in Playboy (sports luxury market, the later Shelby Mustangs were the only other musclecar to advertise a lot in Playboy) and Life and other magazines which were not necessarily enthusiast rags.
Make it what you want because that is what Charger is.

Steve P.

My 65' Coronet 500 is quite a bit lighter than a Charger. This makes it easier to go to manual steering. I did drive my cousin Mikes 68' Charger around Vegas a few years ago with no problems. He even has a rather small steering wheel and I have a bad back...

I like to feel what the car feels. Power steering just doesn't get it for me unless it's my every day go getter.. I would never take my car to get groceries or park it at the theater. Most assuredly I would never parallel park it on the street!! 

Manual brakes and steering for me...  I also like to manually shift too!!! :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

General Ryan

How much of a hassle and what do I need (parts) and how/what do I do to convert the brakes to manual??

bull

You know what I wish someone would invent? Too bad I'm going to tell you anyway. A speed switch that would disengage a clutch on the power steering pulley at about 20 mph. No power steering above 20 mph and power steering at 0-20. I don't even care if that sounds stupid.

Ghoste

I don't think it sounds stupid at all.  I suppose in some ways that is what the variable ratio power units are trying to duplicate, but your idea is better yet.
Ryan, you need a manual master cylinder and I think you need a different pushrod for it.  I think that's about it.
A plug for the vacuum tap on the intake.  ;D

71charger_fan

I have manual brakes on the Charger and would never consider going to power. Power brakes as a term is a misnomer anyway. They are power-assisted brakes. The line pressure isn't any higher in a PB car than it is in a manual brake car. You just have to push a little harder with manual brakes. A worthwhile trade off for the increased feel in my opinion.

After having manual steering in a V8 Barracuda years ago, I'd never have manual steering in a heavy car again. It's great on the road but a bear in a parking lot. The few hp robbed by the PS pump are well spent.

Rolling_Thunder

i have manual 4 wheel disc brakes and love them...    power brakes are just to sensitive to me...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Duey

Ron, is it as simple as getting a manual master and capping the vacuum takeoff on the manifold?

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Jon Smith

I did this myself, I didn't even use a different master cylinder, just a different pushrod which I made myself by welding some steel bar on the end of the original pushrod, and making up a steel sleeve which i welded over the join to reinforce it then a bit of turning on the end and i was done, i did have access to a lathe though and it would probably be a bit easier to find donor parts on your side of the atlantic

Duey

Jon, maybe I'm not quite following you, but wouldn't the manual master cylinder have smaller piston area (and longer throw) to keep pedal pressures reasonable?  Otherwise you'd just have powerbrakes without the power, right? (and that is a bear to drive)

Cheers,
Duey

firefighter3931

Quote from: Duey on December 22, 2005, 06:26:27 AM
Ron, is it as simple as getting a manual master and capping the vacuum takeoff on the manifold?

Cheers,
Duey

Yep, you'll also need a new master pushrod because the power brake rod will be too long. I purchased the adjustable rod from Mancini Racing but other vendors probably carry something similar. ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 23, 2005, 01:39:20 PM
Quote from: Duey on December 22, 2005, 06:26:27 AM

Cheers,
Duey

Yep, you'll also need a new master pushrod because the power brake rod will be too long. I purchased the adjustable rod from Mancini Racing but other vendors probably carry something similar. ;)

Ron

or you can get the rod from a manual brake junk car,  magnumhp.com sells the rubber that holds the rod into the master for next to nothing.   

i LOVE manual discs on old mopars., besides it takes a bunch of weight off the fron of the car and cleans up the engine compartment.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

'CUDA360

I have power steering and manual brakes in the white car and power brakes with manual steering in the yellow car. That's just the way they came  ::).

I really like the manual brakes but I don't really have an opinion on manual steering. Either way is fine

General_01

I would keep the power steering. The brakes aren't a big deal to me, but I have power steering in the '71 and manual steering in the '69 and I can tell you from experience that power steering is better for manuvering at car shows and while parking. The General may get power steering in the next few years. My shoulders need the help. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Jon Smith

Quote from: Duey on December 22, 2005, 10:06:00 PM
Jon, maybe I'm not quite following you, but wouldn't the manual master cylinder have smaller piston area (and longer throw) to keep pedal pressures reasonable?  Otherwise you'd just have powerbrakes without the power, right? (and that is a bear to drive)

Cheers,
Duey
the pedal pressure is controlled by a lever asssembly on the pedal, not the master cylinder, manual brake cars just have a straight pushrod from the pedal, I took the lever off
just remembered I had to mount the master cylinder slightly lower on the bulkhead too but thats no big problem
I was told when I did the mod that there was no difference between mastercylinders on power or manual brake cars but I've never actually checked this. My brakes work great
this is a drum brake car, I dont know about discs

Duey

Hmmm....yeah, not sure about discs either Jon, I know they work as significantly higher pressures...something like 3x higher pressure  in disc calipers than drums rings a bell, but can't recall exactly.  Thanks for the info, though, Jon!

Cheers,
Duey

sandmbmx88

so im switching from power to manual brakes too. i have disc front and drum rear. is this just a matter of changing master cylinders? the brakes are the stock kelsey hayse 4 piston caliper front and the 11" rear drums.