News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

worth buying

Started by Surg22, February 05, 2008, 01:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surg22

I am interested in buying a 440 engine and i found one online. But this is what the seller had to say

"I am not sure why the pressure is low. It happened all of the sudden. Oil pressure was fine when I parked the car. I started it up a couple days later and I spoke to a friend by the car while it idled. I heard a knocking slight knocking sound and peeked in the car to see the oil gauge very low. I cut the motor immediately. After conducting some non-invasive diagnostics, the most likely cause is a spun rod or main bearing. I did not care to go through the motor back then due to a divorce. It's certainly worth fixing. The engine made good power and sounded fantastic! It has at least 10.0 to 1 compression and a 280 to 290 duration cam. Those 452 heads are still on that block." Would you way its worth buying for $375, and if it is worth buying how much do you think it would cost to fix. thanks

Surg22

firefighter3931

That type of purchase should be treated as a core motor needing rebuilding. If the motor is a steel crank with a stock bore then yes it's worth it....inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

prob. around 2000 for a rebuild,

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

1969chargerrtse

Here in CT ( expensive state )  My Nov 68 440 short block cost me 500.00  Then I paid 2,700.00 for the 20 over rebuild.  That included taking the heads apart ( from my motor that blew up ) and checking them, cleaning them up here and there but no major head work.  New pistons, cam, etc, and giving me back a long block.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.