News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water out of exhaust?

Started by Dodge69_440, February 04, 2008, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

Ok, I am aware that some degree of water vapor in the exhaust is normal at startup.  My car however leaves two puddles underneath the exhaust tips.  It only started doing this after I installed my new cam, which is significantly smaller then my previous one.  I tried to tune it to the best of my ability, but she continues to spit water.  I seriously doubt it's a headgasket or the cooling system seeing as how I just built the engine last year.  Could the water be a result of the engine being out of tune (timing, rich, lean, etc.)?  Thanks in advance you guys rock.

resq302

could it be due to the weather being colder that you are getting more condensation build up inside your exhaust pipes which is causing the puddles?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

FLG

I get the same thing with my 73 with the cold weather here in NY. Just condensation.

daytonalo

Did you look at Water level ?????

Dodge69_440

You guys are probably right it has been freezing out here, even for southern California.  I'm goinng to go spend some time getting her dyno tuned anyways, something is a litttle off probably the jets.

deputycrawford

A compression test and leakdown test would help a bit, but I have to say, my police cruiser would alarm you with the water vapor it builds while idling. I let it idle at an accident scene for a 1/2 hour and get around a 1/2 a cup of water out each pipe when I rev it. Remember, the by product of compression is condensation.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

NMike

alot of start and stops of the engine will cause more moisture to form in the exhaust. when you shut off then engine, water is drawn out of the atmosphere and condenses on the hot metal.

unless the exhaust system gets hot enough to burn off all the water, you just keep making more moisture to drip out.

69chargeryeehaa

water out of the exhaust is normal.....to a point.  What thermostat are you running?  I've noticed when i had a 160* stat water would come out of the exhaust even when the engine was running for a while; and i know now that a 160 is too cold a thermostat, but that's another debate.  If you have a 180+ thermostat and your still getting water coming out of the exhaust (more so when it's colder out) then you could also have a coolant leak from the exhaust manifold studs, and it might be leaking into the manifold.   :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

if it started when you put in a differant cam, you may have increased the cylinder pressure. Ive been told that more pressure can create more moisture. .....dont quote me on this as im no expert on that but it was told to me by a good source.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Condensation is a common problem in the cold winter months.  :P  The larger the pipes...the more condensation you will experience.  :yesnod:

If it continuosly spits water then there would be cause for concern, but normal condensation will burn off one the engine reaches operating temperature.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs