News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nice resto refrence pics

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, October 06, 2005, 04:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

MCR (Muscle Car Restorations) puts out some killer high dollar restos.

Check out their site for some great resto refrence shots of a 69 RT/SE and a 69 General Lee

Jude will particluarily appreciate the RT/SE resto ;)

http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/cars.php
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger4404spd

Very nice. Wonder what that would cost?

694spdRT

Quote from: Charger4404spd on October 06, 2005, 05:08:45 PM
Very nice. Wonder what that would cost?

Looks like they do very good work...I wonder if they find and supply all the parts too. That would effect the final price quite a bit.

Do you think $40-50K would do a car like that Charger?   :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Just 6T9 CHGR

The RT/SE?  I would guess towards the high end of 50k
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

plumnutz

You guys are way off !! They can find and re-do any parts necessary. All you have to do is keep paying the bill!!
They did my 73 plumcrazy charger. Look in past projects to see the pics. Their work is top notch.

ScottW

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

Troy

I had a discussion with 69_500 at either Monster Mopar or the Nats about one of the resto companies. I believe they told him somewhere in the neighborhood of $140k to do a concourse resto. I know the place that's doing mine has done some over $50k and their labor rates are 1/3-1/4 of other shops. Figure on 1,000-1,300+ hours labor plus all the parts (think everything NOS or near perfect used). MCR should find all the parts but you probably pay labor for their efforts. I don't know that for a fact though.

That 69 looks like it got floors, dutchman panel, and something in the cowl but not much more welding. Very rough estimate and quick math for minimal concourse resto: $5-8k+ for mostly rust-free car (more for R/T, 500, Hemi, wing car, etc.), average $50 per hour labor for 1,100 hours = $55k, paint and materials = $1,800-4,000, engine, trans, drivetrain, heating/cooling/A/C = $3k-12k+, NOS trim, interior, fasteners, switches, rechroming, plating, wiring, etc. = $5-15k+, tires, wheels, brakes = $600-6k. Obviously, labor is a HUGE factor and I've seen places near $80+ per hour and some as low as $30 (but not many good ones). Quality of parts is the next biggest factor. Obviously, anything that doesn't require a lot of labor to restore is more expensive to purchase initially (like $1,200 steering wheels, $1,500 grills, $400 exhaust manifolds, $3,500 NOS quarter panels, etc.) but maybe cheaper in the long run. Saving 50-100 hours of labor to restore parts might be worth the cost of just buying them.

Smaller, less well-known shops may work with you more on cost and if you can find/finish the parts on your own then the price drops considerably. This is why I'm paying for paint and some body work but doing all the stripping, grinding, sanding on my own. I'm also doing all the scrounging for parts. I'll pay to have someone build an engine but not for the installation. I'd save a lot by doing everything on my own but I've seen my work... :P

Having said all that... I love the cars that MCR puts out. I wish I could have one that nice but I like to do at least some work on my own so I doubt if I'd go for a turn-key car from them. I believe they do partial restorations as well but it's been a long time since I checked.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

ummmm?... Let's see what's in the background.     :scope:

i can name six of them,...

http://gallery.musclecarrestorations.com/gallery2/d/16825-2/DSCF1311.jpg

Impressive! Aint that the color we were trying to figure out yesterday?..

694spdRT

I should have clarified in my earlier post that the $40-50K estimate was the labor price. Parts needed, purchase price, etc. are all dependent on the particular car.

The shop that did the final painting on my car estimated it would have cost over $20K if they would have had to do the metalwork and bodywork I did before they got it. That would not have put the car completely back together either.

It is nice to see these great restos even though my pocketbook could not support it. 

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Stratocharger on October 06, 2005, 08:39:53 PM
ummmm?... Let's see what's in the background.     :scope:

i can name six of them,...

http://gallery.musclecarrestorations.com/gallery2/d/16825-2/DSCF1311.jpg

Impressive! Aint that the color we were trying to figure out yesterday?..

I was trying to figure out that color myself.  Do you guys think that it is stock?  It looks a little different than the stuff on the car before it was stripped.  I love it.

My car is '68 JJ1 Medium Gold poly, currently getting ready for paint, and I would love for it to look like that color gold, but I don't know if the '68 and '69 golds are the same.

HeavyFuel

car before resto

HeavyFuel

oops...my bad.  Here is the one before resto....

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Pistolpete

looks like T3 to light metallic bronze to me, just a hundh but looks like a new version of my paint color?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

73rallye440magnum

MCR is about an hour south of me, i was born down there. I was at MCR this summer with my bosses 71 GTX unrestored V Code, he's saving up to have them do it. I got a tour of the shop. they are also in this months hot rod magazine with a factory five cobra they did. The shop is awesome, tons of mopars in various stages, i met john, and the staff. everybody there is so nice. I bet that guy has atleats 100k in that 69 RT/SE, read the testimonial on it. Extremely high end perfect restos, i saw the RT/SE the day before it went out. that car was completely perfect in every aspect, i had the biggest grin on my face. Stunning. I hope to work there someday.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

ScottW

I was up there too about 2 years ago before I even bought my car. Wanted to make sure that there was someone around that could restore my car if I got one. Had the tour. John was out for the day but the Holley RR was there, the 68 Hemi Dart clone and the Plum Crazy 73 SE was there getting primer. That place was awesome. They just do fantastic stuff and so damn organized. It would be cool just to hang around that place from time to time.

About 6 months later I heard the cost of one of their restorations (60K) and thought - dang! How am I gonna do that.

Brock Samson

That R/T SE Looks sweet but why didnt they do the steering wheel?...  :-\

Troy

Quote from: Stratocharger on October 07, 2005, 09:49:44 PM
  That R/T SE Looks sweet but why didnt they do the steering wheel?...  :-\

???

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

472 R/T SE

I'm not nit picking.  I do it all the time with my cars.  That kind of money, the little shit should be right. :(
Anyhow, it looks like the woodgrain for the 8 track is off compared to the other 2 pieces?  Maybe a different piece.  Why did I notice, it looks just like mine. :-[

ScottW

Quote from: AllBlueRT on October 08, 2005, 09:21:40 AM
I'm not nit picking.   I do it all the time with my cars.   That kind of money, the little shit should be right. :(
Anyhow, it looks like the woodgrain for the 8 track is off compared to the other 2 pieces?   Maybe a different piece.   Why did I notice, it looks just like mine. :-[

To me, it looks like it was applied upside down.  :shruggy:

Brock Samson

::)  to me the steering wheel rim looks totally worn. I'm just sayin..