News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI Daytona on ebay

Started by tan top, February 01, 2008, 03:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

what is wrong with front trim ?

daytonalo

what is wrong with front trim ??

daytonalo

what is wrong with front trim ??

Ghoste

Obviously this must also be the same car that Totally Auto has been using in their magazine ads of late.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

daytonalo

Sorry , my computer has problems !! The kink in the front trim by Valence ??

hemigeno

Quote from: FJMG on February 03, 2008, 10:46:28 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on February 03, 2008, 10:32:54 PM
As far as I know the Daytona fender shouldn't have the marker holes filled in. According to papers I've seen they were ordered as fenders without the marker cut outs, that were sent to Creative to be used.

I am pretty sure that on the 119 page document, Chrysler supplied the fender skin (w/o marker light holes) with only the rear vertical brace attached. The fender brace (above the wheel) and all the splash panels etc. at the front of the fender were attached by the "vendor". Sheet 8 of 119 (unless I am reading it wrong).

:iagree:

There should not be any evidence of the '70 marker holes.  There's only one car that I am aware of which has original fenders that also have visible '70 marker hole indents, and that is 287970 - which I am more and more believing was a prototype / test mule car.

hemigeno

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 02, 2008, 11:15:58 PM
OK...correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to have a 1970 Charger trunklid, cut down and modified to 500/Daytona specs.
Is this chronologically possible??? :scratchchin:

No, that was not chronologically possible, and you were on the money with that observation.  Doug is also correct about the edge treatment:

Quote from: pettybird on February 02, 2008, 11:51:36 PM
the car wears a '70 hood and decklid.  the edge is also rolled over and not just bent down. 

:yesnod: :2thumbs:

Quote from: pettybird on February 02, 2008, 11:51:36 PM
the strikers should be body color.  if it was there, some retard at creative painted it, whether or not he was supposed to.

Definitely true.  Creative's guys did not take the time to remove the decklid striker, so it got blasted when they painted the decklid itself.  Original cars usually have nothing but primer underneath the striker, and you'll also often see a "shadow" of primer showing behind the striker where it shielded the paint from covering right behind the striker.  There will also usually be some of the (cadmium? silver zinc? not sure) plating showing on the backside legs of the striker as well.  In essense, they weren't really supposed to paint the striker, and they did a poor job with paint coverage to boot.

daytonalo

OK guy's , let me have it !!! In what pic is the problem and what is the exact problem ?

Short bus Larry

tan top

Quote from: 69_500 on February 03, 2008, 09:57:10 AM
Doug, did you have a chance to look at the front fender chrome trim? I wonder what happened to the origional tire trim for the front tires.

just realised i think i know what you are talking about now , been  studying the picture for hours   :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Man,,, that thing's sweet !!!!      :drool5:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

THEY ARE CUT, that is what is wrong with them. Just a little slit in them to make them fit. Its showing the photo that was shown.

69_500

Here is another photo of the wheel trim.

daytonalo

I came up with a method to straighten them

pettybird

Quote from: hemigeno on February 04, 2008, 11:41:32 AM
There should not be any evidence of the '70 marker holes.  There's only one car that I am aware of which has original fenders that also have visible '70 marker hole indents, and that is 287970 - which I am more and more believing was a prototype / test mule car.

What I meant by that is that I reached inside the fender and didn't immediately feel any evidence of former marker light hole--i.e., they did a masterful job of butt welding in metal, or they're real fenders.  I know there aren't two front marker lights per side on 'tonas... ;)

Fitz73Chrgr

Looks like they forgot the Charger emblems on the B pillars as well. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

pettybird

a couple updates on this car--

I changed the shift knob.  I talked to Dave Patik and it bothered the hell out of me, so it's replaced.

According to the docs with the car, it's supposed to have most of its original metal (excluding the roof, decklid and hood, apparently.)  it's still there, on a pedestal now.  I field at least two calls a week asking if the price is right, or a digit off...obviously by people who don't know what a Daytona should cost.

Looking at it every day brightens my mood.  It's an awesome sight, details be damned.

a couple questions:

There's a leak in one of the vacuum actuators (surprise surprise.)  What's an easy way to disconnect the secondary springs?  It kills me to see it staring back at me six days a week.  I'm not too worried about how it'll be driving in the rain at night, ya know?

MCG this month features the car.  They claim it's the highest price recorded for a Hemi Daytona.  Now, I know of a few that have traded hands for more, but what's the most one's gone for PUBLICLY? 

They also list the gears as being 3.55's, so we're not the only idiots.  Isn't A32 super track pak?  Should be 4.10's then.  OK so if it's got 3.54 gears, is that possible?  With an auto, with a Hemi?  I didn't think you could get track pak with an auto, regardless of motor?

I'm building a '67 Hemi GTX from SCRATCH.  List of items installed on the rotisseried shell:  Door shells, fenders, decklid/spring bar, hood/hood springs, leaf springs/axle housing, upper/lower control arms, spindles/drums (empty,) torsion bars and the K frame.  That's it.  It has the panels gapped properly and enough gear to roll around on while everything else is in 50 boxes in three shops.  AND I had nothing to do with the disassembly.  Rant aside, how close would all of the inspection marks and finishes be to the Daytona's?  Wing car exclusive items being wrong aside, Totally Auto does crank out show winners.  Could I simply duplicate many of the marks and be correct?  Hemi/auto/3.23 8 3/4 car...

Aero426

The T5 4-speed car sold at Mecum last spring for well over $500k.   I thought it was actually around $550k,  but don't have the info handy.

hemigeno

Quote from: DougSchellinger on April 15, 2008, 09:14:15 AM
The T5 4-speed car sold at Mecum last spring for well over $500k.   I thought it was actually around $550k,  but don't have the info handy.

I remembered the T5 4-speed car's ending price in 5/07 was less than $600k, so the $550k sounds about right.  The actual auction results have been erased from Mecum's website, probably since Mecum is still trying to sell the car - presumably for its new owner.  It's been auctioned twice recently, once last October w/ an ending price of $420k, and just this past January when it hit $410k.

Oh, and the SuperPerformance Axle Package was for a Dana60 with 4.10 gears, the only Dana available in combination with an automatic transmission.  Dana60s with 3.54 gears were only installed in 4-speed cars, and the standard axle for an automatic Daytona was (depending on which document you rely on) a 3.55 geared 8-3/4".  It was the same for either a 440 car or Hemi.

I haven't disconnected the headlight bucket springs myself, but wouldn't you just unhook the coil spring from the fixed stud mounted to the side of the metal bucket plate?  Let the spring uncoil a bit and then allow it to just dangle?  There's probably some tension on the spring but it never seemed to be horrifically tight to me.  I'd think that with a pair of needlenose pliers, a guy could re-install the spring while out on the road if the need ever came up.  Just a guess though, but that might keep the frog eyes from popping up while it's on the turntable...   :shruggy:

pettybird

Problem is the "some tension" sucks.  Couple that with an assembled, concours car and my not-small frame, and it's a pain to reach up there. 

I figured that there was a higher price somewhere--MCG's run by a good group of guys that occasionally aren't too bothered by facts.

hemigeno

Can you reach the spring from the cooling hole below?  I know you can see it from beneath, but whether there is enough room to reach in and actually disengage the spring (without endangering life, limb and employment security) is another story.

Daytona Enthusiast

I saw and talked to Jim Radke today at the Spring Fling. He had some great vintage pictures with him of the car. All the pictures he had
of the car, including before he owned it and during the time he owned it showed the car wearing Charger emblems on the roof...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on February 06, 2008, 06:37:28 PM
Looks like they forgot the Charger emblems on the B pillars as well. 
I saw that too......  :shruggy:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

FJMG

According to the article in MCG, The original roof had no holes in the C-pillar, Hence no emblems right from the factory. They decided to replicate that little factory goof-up during resto.

UFO

Quote from: FJMG on May 04, 2008, 01:01:44 PM
According to the article in MCG, The original roof had no holes in the C-pillar, Hence no emblems right from the factory. They decided to replicate that little factory goof-up during resto.

Read that story , But the holes are in the quarter panel skin not the roof.