News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Neat DOH production picture....Lambs to the slaughter....

Started by KGorney, July 26, 2005, 10:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KGorney

Check out this picture .....too bad they were so expendable to the production.

psykicpup

Thats so sad  :bawling:
Is it just the light that makes some of them look a different colour? do you think?
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Troy

For anyone who knows where that picture came from (I do) then your comments make no sense. Read up on it.

psykicpup: they probably *are* different colors. Some sat in the sun for a long time before that pic and they probably weren't all painted the same color to begin with.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

KGorney

It's from a DOH website page about the production of the series. I assumed it was a production shot of used General Lees.

If I'm wrong in that assumption, feel free to correct me and give the real story behind the picture.

psykicpup

Quote from: Troy on July 26, 2005, 10:25:56 AM
For anyone who knows where that picture came from (I do) then your comments make no sense. Read up on it.

psykicpup: they probably *are* different colors. Some sat in the sun for a long time before that pic and they probably weren't all painted the same color to begin with.

Troy

Thanks I thought it was my eyes  :eek:

And Troy I would love to hear more about where the picture came from.....

DFPA and proud of it!

Dale The Bold

Quote from: KGorney on July 26, 2005, 10:33:48 AM
It's from a DOH website page about the production of the series. I assumed it was a production shot of used General Lees.

If I'm wrong in that assumption, feel free to correct me and give the real story behind the picture.

http://pages.prodigy.net/tcwinfk/general.html

Lambs to the slaughter....quite the opposite.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Wakko

It's when the surviving Generals were saved from the back lot and sold to private owners.  Definitely the opposite of "lambs to the slaughter". 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

MoparYoungGun

Yep, Wakko is right. Supposedly WB kept the sound stage car but sold all the others to a group of guys as a group deal.

KGorney

psykicpup

wow I really enjoyed reading that - wouldnt it be great to hear the stories of all the rest -

DFPA and proud of it!

Charge It!

Shakey

yeah, what a great story.  brought tears to my eyes. sniff, sniff

Wakko

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on July 26, 2005, 10:43:26 AM
Yep, Wakko is right. Supposedly WB kept the sound stage car but sold all the others to a group of guys as a group deal.

And it was restored and used by WB in (one, if not all) reunion movies and in the current movie.  I BELIEVE they put a Hemi in it for some hero shots and then dumped it for a 440 again for streetability.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

69RealGL

Hey All

The photo belongs to Keith Winfree  , the GL  on top at the rear without the Door , was mine  its a 68 car with a 440 out of one of rosco's furys  ,it had been in the air some time in the series , its now currently in the Cars Of The Stars Museum  in England  , i sold it and brought my 69 GL .
   The 68  was a great GL  to drive  it had one of the best surviving  roof flags  out of the 17  that TDC  brought ,and although it had been in the air  ,once i replaced the front right spindle  drove down the road dead straight  ,it would have to be the most travelled GL   U.S to Australia  back to the U.S then to the UK  .
  It is  WGL  57  .

Later

K.c 

Wakko

Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Mass_Mopar

-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

69RealGL

You sold it and bought another real GL?

Hey yes sir  ,a 69 this time   , and FYI   the WB  kept  two roiginal GL'S 

A 68 soundstage  GL
A 69 No 2 close up GL   
   The 68   was used in forever young with Mel Gibson   ,then both were uses in the T.V movies  then again  in the New big screen movie .

Later

K.c

Wakko

Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chargerguy74

Didn't wayne organize that sale? So how many actual show cars are known to still exist?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Wakko

Hmmm.   17 were sold, I guess 2 were kept by WB, 2 were found in Gladiator trim http://www.richardcummins.com/garage1.html and one of those is actually on Ebay right now (completely restored to pristine shape by Smith Bros) and then there's Lee1/71 car.     Does anyone know of any more?   Waylon Jennings had one, but it's not a screen used GL so it doesn't count.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

wLc

Don't forget about Tony's GL that was found in a field.
In the depths of a mind insane
Fantasy and reality are the same

Wakko

That was found in a field?  I always thought his was one of the 17.  I'm assuming the Encyclopedia WLC knows the story behind it's discovery?  I'll buy you a beer if you share it with us.  :D     :cheers:
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

JimShine

wLc

The car was listed on eBay for about $2500 in '99 or so and nobody bid on it. A week later the guy re-lists it and no bids again. So Tony ended up getting it not knowing if it was a REAL General Lee or not. Tony, Travis Bell, Gary Schneider, and Wayne Wooten finally discovered the history of the car and found out that it actually is a real screen used car. After about 4 months of researching they found out the car was supposed to be scrapped, but instead ended up in private hands. The car was jumped twice, once on the series and then in '85 at Charlotte Motor Speedway after the show was canceled. After Tony got it he had it put on a frame machine. He reinstalled the fender and passenger door, but he had to repaint it because it was stripped down to bare metal and was laying in the field 50 yards away from the car. He cleaned it up and buffed out the paint. The car can be driven but not over about 35 mph. So I'm almost certain if you buy any decals from buildagenerallee.com this car is where the measurements were taken. After keeping the car for a couple of years Tony sold the car on eBay and then when it came up for sale again he bought it back.
Here it is at Charlotte in '85

This is how it looked when Tony bought it.
In the depths of a mind insane
Fantasy and reality are the same

Wakko

How was it advertised on ebay?  As a car, it's not worth 2500 in today's market. I can see why nobody would have bid on it.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM