News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

main caps: studs vs bolts

Started by joflaig, January 21, 2008, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I've read about some of the pros and cons of both. It seems like for a lower HP engine bolts are recommended. However, since studs are stronger can it hurt to go with them by default? They are a bit more money, but if that's not a factor, then?

charger50071

WITH STUDS THERE IS LESS CHANCE OF MAIN CAP WALK. :2thumbs:
1971 Charger 500 383
1971 Charger RT 440-6
1965 Coronet 500 426 wedge
1960 Phoenix D-500 convertable crossram

mally69

What are you building?  If it is a stroker around 600hp i would advise you strongly to go with BCR's aluminum main caps OR the BCR's aluminum main cap/ girdle setup if your going over 650HP.  I Think the stock bottom end should be ok up to 550hp with studs,

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on January 21, 2008, 11:40:37 PM
  I Think the stock bottom end should be ok up to 550hp with studs,

:iagree: For the type of motor you are building... the stock caps with studs and an align bore on the mains will be fine.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 22, 2008, 09:44:07 AM
:iagree: For the type of motor you are building... the stock caps with studs and an align bore on the mains will be fine.

...but mechanically speaking there couldn't be a downside, say, to using 440's billet steel caps with ARP bolts, could there?

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on January 22, 2008, 10:05:13 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 22, 2008, 09:44:07 AM

...but mechanically speaking there couldn't be a downside, say, to using 440's billet steel caps with ARP bolts, could there?

No downside other than cost. I'm pretty sure that the 440 source billet caps are sized for a 383-400 crank which means there is considerable cost involved to make them work with a 440/stroker crank. Brian Shaunessy just went through this and got a BIG machining bill. Check with him for the details.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 22, 2008, 10:13:41 AM
No downside other than cost. I'm pretty sure that the 440 source billet caps are sized for a 383-400 crank which means there is considerable cost involved to make them work with a 440/stroker crank. Brian Shaunessy just went through this and got a BIG machining bill. Check with him for the details.

This is from their website:

"These work with both "B" and "RB" engines. As with any aftermarket main caps, fitting the caps to your block's registers and line boring and/or honing  is required."

I guess if they require a lot of additional machining for the 440 crank they don't get too exact in detail.

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on January 22, 2008, 10:27:02 AM

This is from their website:

"These work with both "B" and "RB" engines. As with any aftermarket main caps, fitting the caps to your block's registers and line boring and/or honing  is required."

I guess if they require a lot of additional machining for the 440 crank they don't get too exact in detail.

Ya, the description is kind of ambiguous.  :P

Here's Brians thread from a few months back....i knew i had responded on the subject at some point.....but there's been many posts since then.  :icon_smile_wink: This cold weather is fogging up my brain....can't remember $hit  :lol:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35812.msg400331.html#msg400331

Ron

joflaig

I talked to 440 source and they have no plans to make main caps that require less cutting.