News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is a 1/2 inch fuel sending unit worth the extra $$$$$$?

Started by 69chargerboy, December 28, 2007, 03:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

I currently have a mildly built 440ci with 750 Demon and Carter hi flow mechanical fuel pump. Would it be worth my extra cash to buy the 1/2 sending unit vs the original 3/8 sending unit? All my fuel lines are the original diameter.  :shruggy:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/12sendingunits.html
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Ghoste

1/2 inch fuel line is a LOT of dead dinosaurs.  Do you find it ever starving for fuel now?

RD

do you got 1/2" fuel line running to your engine and a fuel starved 440? if not.. then there is no reason for it.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

69chargerboy

I don't know yet..... Is currently under restoration. I haven't fired it up yet..... Just looking for any professional experience before I buy the sending unit. :2thumbs:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

RD

1/2" fuel sending unit and line are what you would most likely find in a bracket car.  3/8" line should handle what you have.. but then again.. I dont know what your motor is being built to handle.  I have a 1/2" line on my RR, but it is a strip only car.  440 4bbl's came from the factory with 3/8" line... hemi's had 1/2" I believe... but do not quote me on that one, I am not sure... someone will know though.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

I'd rather be safe than sorry where it comes to fuel delivery but when it comes to 1/2 fuel line you begin to enter race only territory in my opinion.  The other thing to keep in mind is that unless you change pump fittings, carb fittings, and the stuff between those two points, you would still be choking it off.  If it's mildly built chances are you are fine with what you have.  I'll defer to the full time racers around here naturally but I can't see needing it for a mild 440.
Stock Hemi's came with the same line as the hot 440's.  Street that is, the Race Hemi's may have been a little bigger tubes.

Steve P.

Unless you are planning on a monster in the future I would stick with the 3/8ths .  If you are going to build a monster than you want more than just a 1/2 inch sender and line. You will also want to add a return line going back to the tank. Also when going this big you will want to go to an electric pump.

All this is only necessary if you are building a serious nasty monster. And then you would be into pretty much a race only car.

Other times this would be good is road rally cars. Hi RPM's for long periods and lots of road heat. Keeping the fuel moving helps with heat issues. Also saves fuel pumps....    :Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on December 29, 2007, 12:41:37 AM
Unless you are planning on a monster in the future I would stick with the 3/8ths . 

:iagree: A 3/8in line will supply enough fuel for 650hp so the 1/2in setup is overkill unless you plan on making more power than that.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs