News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad Day Yesterday

Started by TeeWJay426, December 23, 2007, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 24, 2007, 10:37:51 AM

I wonder if I lower it down some (take out one of the poles in height) it would have less chance of collapsing?

It may still collapse, but there will be a lesser chance of damage because the falling pieces won't hit the car as hard.   
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69_500 on December 24, 2007, 12:08:44 PM
What are you doing buying a mustang Chris? Ah man, my views of you are fading fast. JK.

I guess you didnt see my post about my trip over to the dark side?
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33537.0.html

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 24, 2007, 12:19:42 PM

Chris, the one I had, had a lot more supports between the front & rear. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable using yours with a snow load on it, seems more like something for shade in the sun.   :Twocents:

Thats what it said on the box.... :rotz:

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on December 24, 2007, 12:25:19 PM

I wonder if I lower it down some (take out one of the poles in height) it would have less chance of collapsing?

It may still collapse, but there will be a lesser chance of damage because the falling pieces won't hit the car as hard.   

Thats what I was thinking as well....the Mustang is a convertible as well
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NHCharger

Damn Tom, that really suxs. I had one of those that I had my tractor in and a wind storm tore it to sheds last year.
As others have mentioned, I'd try your insurance company.
I had two feet of snow here at my place, and heavy rain in the forecast for last night. My youngest son and I decided to shovel off the shop/garage roofs and part of our house even thou I was 100% sure we wouldn't have any issues.
If you need a spot to store your car for the rest of the winter let me know, I can make some room at my place under a framed roof.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

70charginglizard

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 11:11:28 PM
Man that sucks and that's an understatement for sure.  It's such a damned nice car too but on the plus side, it could have been a LOT worse.
:iagree:
I could have definately been a lot worse.
70charginglizard

TeeWJay426

I appreciate the offer Brian, and I may take you up on it. On the positive side, I did call my insurance company- since I carry comprehensive on the car year-round, they will cover the damage to it, minus the deductible. Probably no recourse on the shelter itself, but it is over 10 years old, and I don't think I would have any faith in one of those anymore anyway. Just have to find a parts source and a shop that can do that sort of work.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

TripleBlackGator

I know people do what they can within their means but to TeeWJay426 and JUST 69_CHGR they both look like accidents waiting to happen. Only TeeWJay426 isn't waiting anymore!
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

nh_mopar_fan

Tom,

I had some top work done at a shop in Hampstead that I was happy with. I also have used Town and Country in Lawrence Mass and they do great work. They have been around forever....

If you want the name of the place in Hampstead, drop me a line and I will get the info for you.

FastbackJon

Looks like the glass survived so that's a plus. Still sorry to hear about the bad news, but it could have been worse.

Used to work at a retail store (with Silver R/T nonetheless) up here where we get a decent amount of snow, and each winter they would sell those canopy things like Chris pictured, and on the box it showed snow covering the canopy just fine but if you read the fine print on the side of the box it stated "not rated for snow load". They used one anyway for the "smoker's tent" out back and it collapsed.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Ghoste

How many smokers were lost?  :smoke:

NYCMille

awe man... sorry about that. God I hate winter.

PocketThunder

Oh man thats pretty scary...I got this cheapie $60 thing covering the Mustang...I just bought the enclosure kit as well.....Im wondering if I should even bother parking the car under/in it now.
The couple of inches of snow we had already really bowed in the tarp between the supports until I cleared it off

Hey Chris, it looks like you would have room to add onto the front of your garage another 18~20 feet and have a tandem two car garage.  Is this something you have considered or would the zoning not allow it?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

firefighter3931

Tom....sorry to see that damage on such a nice car. Hope it can be fixed w/o too much pain to the wallet !!!  :P

Freakin snow sucks....we're allready over 5ft so far this year with more to come.  :brickwall:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 26, 2007, 12:47:59 PM
Oh man thats pretty scary...I got this cheapie $60 thing covering the Mustang...I just bought the enclosure kit as well.....Im wondering if I should even bother parking the car under/in it now.
The couple of inches of snow we had already really bowed in the tarp between the supports until I cleared it off

Hey Chris, it looks like you would have room to add onto the front of your garage another 18~20 feet and have a tandem two car garage.  Is this something you have considered or would the zoning not allow it?

Paul, never really considered it. I dont think I could fit something like that & be able to get the Charger out without crashing it! My property line is kinda weird....my neighbor to the left actually owns 2.5 ft of my driveway to the left.   The property line is the cement wall to the left of my garage.

I actually lowered the canopy about 4 ft by taking out a section of the poles.  I figured if it does collapse, there will be less damaging momentum!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 26, 2007, 07:44:43 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on December 26, 2007, 12:47:59 PM

Paul, never really considered it. I dont think I could fit something like that & be able to get the Charger out without crashing it! My property line is kinda weird....my neighbor to the left actually owns 2.5 ft of my driveway to the left.   The property line is the cement wall to the left of my garage.

I actually lowered the canopy about 4 ft by taking out a section of the poles.  I figured if it does collapse, there will be less damaging momentum!

Whats the roof height limit of a garage in your city?  Maybe you can go up.

Here in St. Paul the mid-point of the roof can not be higher than 15'.  You could go up to a 10' ceiling garage and get a lift and stack them.  I can easily stack two Chargers* is my garage if i had a lift. :Twocents:

Paul
in St. Paul

* sorry no Rustangs though..   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Sorry to hear about your loss. There have been 7 or 8 large metal pole buildings and milking parlors collapse in the last couple weeks so it is not just portable structures . One building was less than 2 months old and completely collapsed before we got the last 8" of snow.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

In northern Ontario people keep very long rake like instruments to scrape the snow off of their homes periodically.  Maybe you need something like that as a backup?

TeeWJay426

Well, the insurance adjuster came and looked at the damage to the car this morning.... basically said that they would shell out to fix it right, with correct parts, etc... he could see that it was in excellent shape with no issues with the top prior to the damage, so I need to get some ballpark estimates, and it looks like they will fund the repairs, less the deductible, with no issues... have to say I've had good luck with Metropolitan all around; they have both my homeowners and auto insurance, and have been good about any claims I've had. I'm going to try to see if the homeowners policy will cover anything on the shelter itself as well.

vert

Thats a real bummer.  Glad it wasn't really bad.  My collector car insurance (Hagerty) wont insure a vehicle in my area with that type shelter.  If I had to use that type, I'd rig steel cables side to side, cinched up snug at the points where the shelter top intersects the supports.  It 'triangulates' the structure allowing it to carrry a heavier load if it keeps the legs from spreading.  BTW, in 2002 my wife's business had a roof collapse after 2 feet of snow and 4 inches of rain.  It buckled 12 inch steel I-beams like pretzels.  They got out seconds before it came down.  Don't underestimate what wet snow can weigh, or the damage it can do.

TeeWJay426

Got a little more good news yesterday... the insurance company is going to cover the shelter under my homeowners policy, less my 500 dollar deductible. Not sure what I'm going to do for storage yet, would like to build a garage in the same spot, but being in the middle of a kitchen remodeling might put a crimp in the garage funds.

onebadmopar

teewjay thats the reason i moved from north massachsuettes to alabama get as far away from that snow as i could.. lol not sure if it will be anyhelp to you but in fitchburg mass my buddy has a businuess called randys mopars they buy sell trade ....and restore old mopars(you,d love his collection) plus they provide indoor long and short term storage  the storage part of it is called outlaw motors i kept my 69charger there till i got setteled in down here then went up and towed it back ..ps sorry to hear what happened but its great insurance will fix it :)

TUFCAT

I'm sure you lost some sleep over this - -   I would be worried sick!  Glad to hear the car will be fixed up..... from one Coronet owner to another, I really feel for you :icon_smile_wink:  That's one very sweeeet '67 you have!