News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need to ID a Ferd motor.

Started by Steve P., December 18, 2007, 12:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

A buddy bought a 72' Rustang from a crusher last week. He paid way too much for it in my opinion, but he did save a early 70's American made car from becoming a pile of rebar or a guard rail.   Anyway, it has a V-8 in it that does run. Problem is we don't know what motor it is and don't know where to look on the block OR what to look for...  :shruggy:  So I am hoping that someone here knows how to ID this thing.

Thank you....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

John_Kunkel

Look at the thermostat housing, if it's bolted to the intake manifold it's a Windsor like a 302, if it's bolted to the block it's a Cleveland like a 351 or 351M.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve P.

I was over there looking at it again today. What a pile of @*%!... I think we have figured out that it is a 351, but a later model as the fuel pump boss IS there, but is cast blocked off. I'm pretty sure it is a fuel injected motor. It does look like a Windsor motor or 302" to me. And yes, the housing is bolted to the intake.   Thank you John.

The reason I think it's a 351 is due to a difference in the firing order. Still have not found a place for the dip stick. It has an after market oil pan on it. Nothing fancy. Just not original and new. The guy that owns it THINKS it is something special. I think he's been OWNED...  :slap:  I can't find a nice way to tell him that, but I don't want to see him flush any more money down the toilet either. But if he keeps trying to tell me how FABULOUS this crate is I might just have to let the air out of his head and give it to him..  :slap: :slap: :slap:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Steve P.

Thanks Ghoste. I think I Googled that one earlier, but didn't look through it far enough. That had what I needed. I copied it and will show it to him tomorrow. He's one of these guys that only believes what he reads. One day I think I'm going to type up HIS obituary and see what he does...  :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

What engine was supposed to be in it?  (from the factory I mean)

Steve P.

I don't have a clue. This car is a mess. I had a chance to look under it the other day.  :o  I was really happy that he saved the car from the crusher, BUT this car is a real pile. The best chance I see for it to continue life will be a chassis car. You just could not love a 72 Mustang enough to throw the money at it that it would take to make it whole again. On top of everything else some moron cut the roof for a pop up sun roof.

Best part of the car is the 9 inch rear end and it's open.  I was hoping to help him find some good news about this car.  :scratchchin:  I think his best shot is to find a mustang site and tell his story. Maybe someone out there would take it and at least make him believe it will be repaired.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Is it a Mach 1 or anything? The '71 - '73 fastback looked fairly good; they kind of had a Torino/Pantera thing going on that sort of worked. The ugly ones of that vintage were the other style Mustangs with the funky, quasi sail panels. An ex-girlfriend of mine had one with a six banger and it was ugly and worthless. Of course we won't talk about the '74+ go-kart things Ford produced when the big three went completely haywire.

justin1987

This might help.

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine2.html

It's probably a 351 Windsor. That was a pretty common engine in Ford Vehicles in the early to mid 70s. I have a picture of one that is in my Torino if you want to see it for reference.

Steve P.

I am pretty sure it is one of the last years built as it has the fuel pump boss blocked off with casting. The boss is there, but it is cast solid. This tells me it is an injected motor.

Thanks guys. I will get this info to him.   :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida