News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger - Exhaust Tips

Started by Shakey, October 03, 2005, 07:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I have ordered my 2.5" exhaust system for my '69 Charger from TTi. 

I chose not to go with their exhaust tips as I have been told that the TTi tips mount in a different way than the way the factory tips were mounted and that with some minor grinding I will be able to mount factory type tips.

So, my question to you folks....

Whose tips do I buy?

I know that Year One sells them, along with other vendors (Paddock, Laysons, Jacks, Hardens, Josh's etc.)

Are all of the tips the same or are there different manufacturers of these?

My goal is to purchase the tip hangers that mount to the frame and the tips themselves.  Not worried about the prices.

Suggestions & feedback please!

BrianShaughnessy

For the factory type tips it's hard to beat http://www.accurateltd.com/  at $110 + S&H.

Yes,  you'll have to cut and grind the TTI mounting brackets off their tailpipes.  I chose not to do that and I returned the Accurate tips and got a full refund and went back and bought the 3"  TTI tips to match their 3" system I bought.
I was trying to spread the wealth but it didn't work out.   Tom at accurate has some other options... just talk to him first.   TTI and Accurate both already know their pipes and tips have different attaching methods.   

And if you're looking for the tip hangers themselves... well there "should" be a set coming with your TTI system. 
If not, accurate also sells a set of stainless ones but they're semi pricey - but I bought them anyway and have an extra set of regular tip hangers laying around now  :P   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I got my SS 2.5" tips from Mancini Racing
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

i used http://www.accurateltd.com/ .  i was very happy with them and there stainless . won't rust
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 03, 2005, 09:21:52 AM

I see that they sell TTi exhaust systems - are the tips you got the TTi type that mount differently than the ones from the factory?

Shakey

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 03, 2005, 09:54:11 AM
i used http://www.accurateltd.com/ .   i was very happy with them and there stainless . won't rust

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the install do you?

Shakey

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 03, 2005, 08:11:36 AM

For the factory type tips it's hard to beat http://www.accurateltd.com/   at $110 + S&H.

Yes,   you'll have to cut and grind the TTI mounting brackets off their tailpipes.   I chose not to do that and I returned the Accurate tips and got a full refund and went back and bought the 3"   TTI tips to match their 3" system I bought.
I was trying to spread the wealth but it didn't work out.     Tom at accurate has some other options... just talk to him first.     TTI and Accurate both already know their pipes and tips have different attaching methods.     

And if you're looking for the tip hangers themselves... well there "should" be a set coming with your TTI system.  
If not, accurate also sells a set of stainless ones but they're semi pricey - but I bought them anyway and have an extra set of regular tip hangers laying around now   :P     

With regards to the tip hangers - if I am using the 2.5" TTi system wouldn't the tip hangers be different if I choose to go with a factory type tip like Accurate's?

Without having anything to look at, I am guessing that the tip hanger bolts to the frame of the car and the L-shaped bracket incorporated into the top of the exhaust tip slides into the rubber cusion included with the tip hangers - correct?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Shakey on October 03, 2005, 01:51:37 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 03, 2005, 09:21:52 AM

I see that they sell TTi exhaust systems - are the tips you got the TTi type that mount differently than the ones from the factory?

These are not TTI tips, they are the factory design/shape just made in 2.5"

They do however mount OVER the 2.5" pipe rather than inside the pipe like the original's did with the 2.25" pipe
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

sorry Shakey my car is in a body over an hour away. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 03, 2005, 03:14:24 PM
These are not TTI tips, they are the factory design/shape just made in 2.5"
I thought that the TTI tips were the factory design? What's different between the ones TTI sells and the factory pieces?

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think the angle/cut is a bit different........Brian??
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 03, 2005, 09:26:17 PM

TTI's do NOT have the hanger bracket on them...  this is a pic of an Accurate - notice the hanger bracket.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

MoparYoungGun

Thanks for clearing that up Briain.

Shakey

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 04, 2005, 04:00:03 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 03, 2005, 09:26:17 PM

TTI's do NOT have the hanger bracket on them...   this is a pic of an Accurate - notice the hanger bracket.

That is what I thought.

Thanks guys. 

I will order a set from Accurate as I want the factory style with the hanger and I also want the tip to slide over the 2.5" pipe rather than slide into it.