News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FENDER TAG CSI

Started by SFRT, December 12, 2007, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

awesome find  (SFRT) :yesnod: , what your plans for the car , restore it back to original ??????? or ??? would love to see more pictures as you progress  :yesnod: :popcrn:   ....................... :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

4 Speed Dana car, sweet. :drool5:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

rav440

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 12, 2007, 09:52:30 PM
If a car was ordered from overseas by a US service man, it would have been coded as an export car since the ORDER originated overseas.

The service man could name a dealership inside the US (including Hawaii) that he would like the car shipped to on his return stateside.

Most "Export" cars never left the states.  ;)

Barry

so all cars sold in HAWAII are not EXPORT cars ? mine was bought new at a dealership in HONOLULU , HI. .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

SFRT

Quote from: tan top on December 13, 2007, 06:00:50 AM
awesome find  (SFRT) :yesnod: , what your plans for the car , restore it back to original ??????? or ??? would love to see more pictures as you progress  :yesnod: :popcrn:   ....................... :cheers:

I have a long term plan for the car. I am not going to restore it to 'bone stock OEM original'...as I have no desire to spend 100 grand to have a yellow car with a vinyl top. but i do have a plan...

Yesterday I signed a 5 year lease for a private shop space next door to my business space downtown..its 1000 square feet of floor space with a full size modern lift and compressor air tool system, Im going to buy a small blasting booth, install my old parts washer and set up a couple of workstations to deal with fixing little stuff. In my line of work (I make prototypes amonmg other things)) I am experienced with doing 'trim' and working with plastics and paint finishes on detailed parts so Im going to handle all the nitpicky stuff myself and do my own 'finish bodywork. My workspace is in the SOMA auto repair zone so I am literally surrounded by dozens of welding shops, body shops and mechanics, of which i know many...so as I go through all the systems on the car im going to have my buddy who builds high end mercedes do my brake conversion for example. If I decided to rotissierre the body I can do it in my space and I have a mobile media blaster dude that can come over and do it on the spot for example, so basically I will be able to work on the car in comfort every day at minimal expense.Theres a fabrication machine shop next door as well. So I have easy accessw to all that sort of stuff I wouldnt have if I brought the car home. I also know a guy that has about 30 years experience in building mopar race suspensions and engines so he will be doing any suspension work and he will build the engine for the car down the road. Basically the car I want will be a solid high horsepower car for a mix of around town a little but with an eye to making a 'highway runner'. The first year or so will be devoted to building a rock solid body and suspension, since I want to have a 426 as the final engine i will put in subframe connectors, torque boxes and fore and aft crossbracing. I am going to keep a 'stock' rear suspension, just beef it up, for the fron I am going to install a high quality modern system and will probably drop the car 1-1.5" with a bit of a rake to get better aerodynamics above 110 mph. I will probably go with 3.54 gearing. as for wheels, I am going to run with widened 15" steelies and dog dish caps.

11" disc brakes all around. Probably an additional fuel cell in the trunk for long hauls. I may hollow out the rear seat lower and install a dual marine battery setup. NO STEREO system. I want as little electicals as possible and those will be beefed up. The final engine will be a 426 that will take pump premium and im shooting for around 600 HP or so.

basically I want a pretty 'normal' looking charger that has STRENGTH  but will be very 'driveable' in a variety of situations. I have no lans to sell the car down the roed so I am building a 'personal' ride.

as to looks-normal interior, It will end up with a suede black paintjob..not gloss. got a guy that does a black paint with a little charcoal metallic in it, then successive clear cooats each one  cut with a little dull coat until it dials in just right. I have a ducati thats painted that way and it looks amazing. no stripe I will keep it 'delete'. no vinyl top.

I have thought  about some wacky stuff for maybe down the road, so aqs a side project I may buy another hood and play around with making a Charger air grabber hood.  I could swap onto it when I want. also might make a 'releasable' bolt on front spoiler lip I can take on and off.

but basically a sort of real clean looking charger that is very very 'mechanically strong'.  I have what I consider a realistic budget saved up, a good workspace and plenty of time.

while its been 20 years since I built an entire car, I have built a lot of track and street bikes over the years and I do know what I am getting into. a lot of work and money, but heyt hobbies are good. Full blessing from my better half as well. MAJOR BONUS THERE.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

SFRT

Looks pretty damn good. my only concern is I would want it to 'work' ...so im wondering if the stock position of an air grabber on a bulge hood piece would drop over and fit properly over the 2x4 bbl air cleaner on a 426.
Always Drive Responsibly

moparstuart

you would have to use the orange style air grabber, air cleaner and not the round chrome 69 hemi style air cleaner
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32617.msg363034.html#msg363034  here are pictures of my superbird hood with an air grabber grafted into it .  and More pictures     http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32617.msg404897.html#msg404897

Magnumcharger

Pics
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Magnumcharger

pic
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

Brock Samson

any pics of the sunfire yellow with white contrasting trim?..   Interior? Top?.. stripe?.. :popcrn: maybe it's me but i don't care for it with the black, and the yellow with the red accents (r/t side marker) it grosses me out.. In My Opinion.. no offence anybody...  :RantExplode:

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on December 13, 2007, 03:16:58 PM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on December 13, 2007, 02:57:49 PM
Pics
some people hate it but i always likes sunfire yellow

I love that color!  :drool5:

I'd almost paint my C500 that color.  :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

tan top

sounds like a intresting build  (SFRT)  :yesnod: ,  often thought  a bout what a air grabber would look like on a 2nd generation :yesnod:
   hmmmmmmm   :scratchchin:           :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 13, 2007, 03:31:49 PM
Pics

Here ya go ;)

Brock C-5-X is the code for the cloth & vinyl seats
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Brock Samson on December 13, 2007, 03:22:58 PM
any pics of the sunfire yellow with white contrasting trim?..   Interior? Top?.. stripe?.. :popcrn: maybe it's me but i don't care for it with the black, and the yellow with the red accents (r/t side marker) it grosses me out.. In My Opinion.. no offence anybody...  :RantExplode:

Not the best pics....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

i prefer that to the black... still that yellow is too soft for me... in my opinion... looks great on a big Caddy though..  :shruggy:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 13, 2007, 06:08:06 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on December 13, 2007, 03:31:49 PM
Pics

Here ya go ;)

Brock C-5-X is the code for the cloth & vinyl seats

Thanks Chris.  put saddle tan interior in that baby and  :drool5:   :drool5:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: rav440 on December 13, 2007, 09:56:37 AM

[so all cars sold in HAWAII are not EXPORT cars ? mine was bought new at a dealership in HONOLULU , HI. .

I would think that very few cars sold new in Hawaii were export cars since it was part of the US.

Do you have the boradcast sheet? If so, what are all the Y codes?

Barry

SFRT

no broadcst sheet. the only scenario that makes sense for Hawaii is:

guy was stationed overseas, ordered the car to be delivered to Hawaii upon his return from duty somewhere in the Asian theatre of Ops.
Always Drive Responsibly

rav440

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 13, 2007, 09:27:34 PM

[so all cars sold in HAWAII are not EXPORT cars ? mine was bought new at a dealership in HONOLULU , HI. .

I would think that very few cars sold new in Hawaii were export cars since it was part of the US.

Barry

i have to go down to the garage and dig out the rr im guessing the Y would be on the fender tag also . but i think your right , its not an export car . although the original ower was in the military at the time he bought it .  :shruggy:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: rav440 on December 14, 2007, 07:21:42 AM

Barry

i have to go down to the garage and dig out the rr im guessing the Y would be on the fender tag also . but i think your right , its not an export car . although the original ower was in the military at the time he bought it .  :shruggy:

Not all plants show Y codes on the tags especially after 70. A better indication on a 73 RR would be to look for the U-C-I code and the look at the VON. A 73 export RR will have the "I" code and the VON will start with "E". :Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

rav440

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on December 14, 2007, 07:52:37 AM
Quote from: rav440 on December 14, 2007, 07:21:42 AM

Barry

Not all plants show Y codes on the tags especially after 70. A better indication on a 73 RR would be to look for the U-C-I code and the look at the VON. A 73 export RR will have the "I" code and the VON will start with "E". :Twocents:

what is a U C I code ? & what is a VON ? thanks  :popcrn:

Chris G.

Quote from: rav440 on December 14, 2007, 09:00:23 AM
what is a U C I code ? & what is a VON ? thanks  :popcrn:

The U C or I code is circled in white below. The VON stands for Vehicle Order Number, which is circled in orange below.

rav440

:2thumbs: thanks CHRIS looks like mine isnt an EXPORT .

:cheers:

bakerhillpins

To go back to the CSI portion of this thread:

Have you tried doing a crayon or pencil rubbing of the fender tag? You know, place a sheet of white printer paper on it and gently rub a crayon over the entire tag. The rubbing has a way of bringing out the subtle edges that get lost in the rust. I would try a rubbing on both sides of the Fender tag and see which comes out better.

YMMV
Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.