News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FENDER TAG CSI

Started by SFRT, December 12, 2007, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

Ok so heres the tag from the scow i just picked up

I decoded some of it. like to hear your input.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bordin34

I might see an 8 as the last digit of the bottom one ??8.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

SFRT

plus bonus mystery meat:

I gingerly took off the primer and there i a big Dodge Log plus 'Chrysler Corporation ' and some unreadable stuff. it all seemed to just be silkscreened onto the aluminum ? tag.
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

heres what I get from the tag on thos eonline decoders:

XS29=dodge charger special 2 door hardtop
L9B= 440 375 HP 1 4 BBl 8 cyl (it has this block, but not original to the car)

E86= 440 barrel High Performance ( or, weirdly enough 'roof type or color' ?)

D21= Heavy duty 4 speed Manual Transmission ( its there, a floor shifter and theres a Dana rear end)

Y2= unkown

C6X=unknown

512- built may 12th

C16= 'console with buckets'-it has bucke seats, but no console, it has a floor shifter

C55=bucket seats

M21-drip moldings

M31 'belt molding 69-70

R22- am with 8-track ( its there)

V1X+ black vinyl top ( was there now gone)

Y09=export car ( suppossedly a guy in Hawaii ordered it?)

26= 26 inch radiator (yes)

the color was original some gross yellow..maybe thats the rusted out #'s?

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

I installed Air Conditioning

Lol
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

I think it needs a wing!

more pics in a couple of weeks after all the new sheetmetal is in....
Always Drive Responsibly

hemigeno

The two codes you're looking to find out are almost certainly:

V1X (as you've already guessed)
A33 TrackPak (3.54 Dana, etc. etc.)

With it being a 440/4-speed car, it would have had either the A33 or A34 axle packages, and the rounded top of the last character gives it away.

Great find!!!

:2thumbs:

P.S.  Try flipping the tag over and seeing if the backside is any easier to read/decipher...

Charger_Fan

Quote from: SFRT on December 12, 2007, 03:20:42 PM
plus bonus mystery meat:

I gingerly took off the primer and there i a big Dodge Log plus 'Chrysler Corporation ' and some unreadable stuff. it all seemed to just be silkscreened onto the aluminum ? tag.
That looks like an export tag...meaning your Charger was originally sold out of the USA.
Here's a pic from member TX9Charger's '70 export Charger. They were screwed to the hood latch tray on '70 models.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

SFRT

it does have 11" brakes and the fatter torsion(sway?) bars on it.  is there a way to find out if the 4 speed and rear are original to the car or replacements?
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

yes thats the tag. too bad it got painted over it pretty much destroyed it. I took a look at the other tag in a slanted light and it does look lik A33  I will try to get a better pic of it.
Always Drive Responsibly

hemigeno

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 12, 2007, 04:23:30 PM
That looks like an export tag...meaning your Charger was originally sold out of the USA.
Here's a pic from member TX9Charger's '70 export Charger. They were screwed to the hood latch tray on '70 models.

I haven't studied this issue very much, but I thought a "true" export car would have a S.O. number beginning with "E"?  Somewhat related, didn't Canadian cars' S.O. begin with "B"?

From what I've heard/read, Chrysler would allow any serviceman stationed overseas to order a vehicle;  then Chrysler arranged to ship it to them wherever they were at free of charge.  Could be that this was ordered at a domestic dealership (no "E" in the S.O.) and then tagged for export delivery under that program??   :shruggy:  Still an interesting find, no matter what...

hemigeno

Quote from: SFRT on December 12, 2007, 04:25:44 PM
it does have 11" brakes and the fatter torsion(sway?) bars on it.  is there a way to find out if the 4 speed and rear are original to the car or replacements?

The tag does not look like it called for power brakes or power disc brakes, so the 11" manual drums were standard on an R/T.  The "Hemi" suspension package was standard on every R/T, and it included the heavier torsion bars you've found.

As far as the 4-speed transmission itself, there is a machined pad/boss on the passenger's side of the case which will have some stamped numbers on it.  Those numbers would include at least the last 8 digits of the VIN number, exactly the same as the engine's VIN pad would have on it.  If the VIN stamping doesn't match your car's VIN sequence number, it is not the original transmission.

moparstuart

wow a dana ,4 speed , export car,  nice rare score man !

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

SFRT

Quote from: hemigeno on December 12, 2007, 04:29:05 PM

I haven't studied this issue very much, but I thought a "true" export car would have a S.O. number beginning with "E"?  Somewhat related, didn't Canadian cars' S.O. begin with "B"?

From what I've heard/read, Chrysler would allow any serviceman stationed overseas to order a vehicle;  then Chrysler arranged to ship it to them wherever they were at free of charge.  Could be that this was ordered at a domestic dealership (no "E" in the S.O.) and then tagged for export delivery under that program??   :shruggy:  Still an interesting find, no matter what...

suppossedley the car was ordered by a serviceman in Hawaii and then ended up in the Pacific Northwest. It came with a tow hitch on it and I think the guy had a boat and the rer end rot was from him backing his boat up into the water with the car.

not much better but it does look like A33

Always Drive Responsibly

fc7_plumcrazy

Hi,

it is definetly an export car due to the code Y09.
But it doesn't look like most of the real export cars for europe for example.
Does it have a Kilometer or miles per hour speedo? I guess the last.

Carsten

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemigeno on December 12, 2007, 04:29:05 PM

So far on 69 Charger tags that I have in the registry the only tags with a letter in the VON are the Canadian export tags.  Like Geno stated these start with "B"

The VON on other export cars usually start with a "0" that I have seen so far and would have the Y09 "Built for Export" code.  US destined cars could have the VON start with "0" as well but no Y09 code...
So far Frank, your car is the 12th in the registry with the Y09 export code. (first in Y2 yellow)

To further decode your tag..

Y2 is the code for Yellow for 69 dodges (Plymouth called it Sunfire yellow)
C6X is the code for black vinyl seats
X9 is the code for the upper door frame color (black) to match the black vinyl

E86 is indeed the 440 4 bbl engine code

V88 is tape stripe delete (no R/T stripe just large R/T emblems on the quarters)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

a really nice mopar safari, great day, we saw four second Gen. Chargers besides mine and Fred even bagged a R/T 4 speed dana,..
I was suprised the car was orig. yellow, and had been spray bombed primer anti rust black... everywhere -- fire wall, wires, interior, anything and everything was coated in fresh semi gloss,.. Fred neglected to mention it has the rare cloth seats...
sounds like this XPS is gonna be one wild ride once it's reserected...  :yesnod:

Magnumcharger

Just wondering...
I know I've pulled a few of those tags off of cars, and sometimes they're so rusty they can't be read - from the front.
I usually flip 'em over, and often you can read the code from the backside....
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

SFRT

the first pic is a back view which I then flipped horizontal in photoshop.
Always Drive Responsibly

rav440

Quote from: SFRT on December 12, 2007, 03:20:42 PM
plus bonus mystery meat:

was HAWAII . considered an EXPORT ? do you know where they would have put them on a 73 ? there should be one somewhere on my runner .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

SFRT

I think the deal was it was a military guy stationed over there and so since it was 'out of the lower 48' maybe it counted as the special no shipping cost promo deal? Vietnam era and all. It's the only thing that makes sense the speedo is not KPH.

it is weird for sure.
Always Drive Responsibly

Alaskan_TA

If a car was ordered from overseas by a US service man, it would have been coded as an export car since the ORDER originated overseas.

The service man could name a dealership inside the US (including Hawaii) that he would like the car shipped to on his return stateside.

Most "Export" cars never left the states.  ;)

Barry