News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need some advice on rearend install

Started by dukeboy_318, December 09, 2007, 07:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukeboy_318

Im swapping rearends in my 74 charger, currently it has a 8.25 rear end and its getting a beefed up 8.75 rearend, any suggestions on how to make sure everything is in properly, i know they say to make the pinion angle 6 degrees up, but is there any othe details that i need to make sure i follow??? thanks for all the help  :2thumbs:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on December 09, 2007, 07:44:18 PM
Im swapping rearends in my 74 charger, currently it has a 8.25 rear end and its getting a beefed up 8.75 rearend, any suggestions on how to make sure everything is in properly, i know they say to make the pinion angle 6 degrees up, but is there any othe details that i need to make sure i follow??? thanks for all the help  :2thumbs:

I think you mean 6 degrees Down? what springs?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dukeboy_318

MP Super stockers, im really not sure what degree, but i read on moparts to keep the angle between 5-7 degrees up????  :shruggy:

RD

my experience with this is that if both rear axles are stock and had no modifications on them, you really do not have to worry that much about installing one to the other as the pinion angles are usually set close enough to not make a major difference.  now you can check it and if its off by a degree, you can shim it, but most often the case they are a swap and forget type of thing.

but... it does matter on what you plan on doing with it.  a dedicated drag car with major HP, you want to get it right.. a daily driver with avg. hp... i wouldnt worry about it (unless of course you are getting HUGE vibration on the highway).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on December 09, 2007, 08:33:48 PM
MP Super stockers, im really not sure what degree, but i read on moparts to keep the angle between 5-7 degrees up????  :shruggy:

Actually....it's 5-7 degrees down.  :yesnod: When launching hard on sticky tires the axle will rotate up several degrees. Like RD said the pinion angle can be corrected with shims if need be. With a 470 cube stroker you want to get this right or it will wheel hop like crazy.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BROCK

Just outta curiosity:  what is the pinion angle on the 8.25?

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

dukeboy_318

okay, i read it wrong then, i wouldnt waorry too much about it, but im moving the spring perche back to the orginal location because the housing actually came out of a 71 b-body car that had been set up to dirt race with, so the perches have been moved in about an inch and the angle has been rotated down a little. (moved backwards by about half an inch.  or should i just get a spring relocation kit and go from there???  :shruggy:  Ive got a 489 third member now too, so im planning on beefing the rearend up to handle that 470+ cubic inch stroker, and run either 3.91s with a 4000 stall converter, or a 4.10s with a 4500 stall converter, which should put the streetability back into the car a little bit, im also going to add traction bars to help prevent axle wrap  and help it hook, any reccomendations on shocks???