News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

worst car you ever owned

Started by mustanghater, October 02, 2005, 05:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

last426

I had a bad car but it wasn't really its fault.  The car was a 74 Bricklin.  Think of it, most people never have an issue with getting into their car if they have the key.  On this car, there was maybe a 1 in 50 chance that the doors would not work and you had to crawl in through the hatchback -- that is a bad thing.  Kim

HDCharger

I've owned alot of makes and models over the years.  Here is my top 5 POS.

1.  1978 Ford Thunderbird........Timing Chain slipped at about 50,000 miles and bent several valves.
2.  1983 Mustang GT 302/4spd......Caught on fire with about 25,000 on the OD. 
3.  2006 GMC Sierra Z71..........hate the thing....Junk compared to the Ram
4.  1994 Ford F150.........Trans was junk.
5.  92 Nissan

For now its truly "Mopar or No Car"  Unless of course GM buys Chrysler....What will we do then?
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

Magnumcharger

Easy answer....1986 Chevrolet S-10 4X4, with the gutless 2.8 V-6.
Man!
I put a 440 and transmission in the box for a quick trip home...couldn't even get it up to speed to shift into high gear.
Replaced CV joints constantly. Then a transfer case, then exhaust.
Tires...three sets in three years, couldn't get a good alignment.
Brakes, rotors drums. Then the body rusted out.
Had the truck from new to 1989. Lost a FORTUNE on it.
Had a Moose run out in front of me while driving it, and considered stepping on the gas instead of the brakes, just to write the friggin' thing off!
Sold it to a guy who killed himself in it. The truck was cursed.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Dennis K

Worst car for me was a 1979 LeBaron with 318, 904 trans and a 7.25" rear end. When I got rid of it it had a 360, 727, and a B-body 8 3/4 rear in it, not because I planned it that way, but because I replaced what broke with whatever I had on hand at the time. The original 318 with lean burn would die while driving down the highway, and it would throw all the belts off the pulleys every few weeks. The most dependable Mopar I've ever owned was a 1981 O24 with a 2.2 and a 4-speed. It went over 200K miles with just routine maintenance before it rusted out in 1995.

chrisII

i havnt had any MAJOR pos, but i have had a few that got the better of me, the first was a 78 ramcharger i got in high school..it was royaly thrashed by the prior owner, had the strongest 318 i have ever seen in it. the motor turned out to be too much and totally trashed the 4wd system, bent/twisted the front output shaft on the transfer case (i wondered what that vibration was?) eventually it trashed the CV witch exploded at 55. driveshaft swong around taking out the trans case, header and half of the floor (pushed the pass seat against the door) the good part of this whole deal was i pulled the motor and traded the truck eaven up for my first charger, a 74 se that i still miss

Big Lebowski

A '76 Cordoba 400 4bbl. with rich Corinthian Khan style leather. The problem was, it ran great on 7 cylinders. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Forza

Hands down, 1986 Dodge Diplomat. It was a good day if it started and got me to school without dieing.

Bandit4142

Ironically... its already been named by a couple others here!   ;D    1979 Mercury Capri RS.... biggest POS I have ever owned and I had over 100+ vehicles since I started driving.    Second would have been a 1983 Trans Am I had.   I actually had to trailer it down by the dealership so I could trade it in.   I unloaded it down the block, then drove it into the lot to trade it off.   Ended up trading it for a pair of numbers matching '69 Super Bee's.    And to think....  they thought I was the sucker!    ;)   
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

Arigmaster

OMG!  The absolute worst thing I owned hands down was a '73 Corvette Roadster. That POS couldn't go one week on the road without something breaking down. I often had thoughts of setting it on fire and sending it straight to hell where it came from.  :brickwall:  :RantExplode:

69DodgeCharger

Probably my 77 Jeep CJ7 bought in late 86....You couldn't even touch the door handle on it without something breaking. It was totally abused by the previous owner. I only put about 7,000 miles on it and in the course of that time went through both rear axles, the engine, master cylinder, a set of tires, to many electrical components to count and a new carb. It was rusted so badly I had to have a bar welded to both sides in the rear cargo area to hold them up and reinforce the firewall so the clutch would actually function when depressed. On the other hand it was by far the best 4 wheeler I ever owned. It would go through, up and over almost anything. I lost my ass on that vehicle moneywise. So in order to relive my misery I now have two full size Jeep J10 pickups.....Don't ask.... ???
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

MorePwr

bought an 03 f350 6 litre new. and within a couple days I noticed that the front bumper was crooked, off to one side two inches. I took it back to the dealership, where they informed me that they had seen allot of them comming from the factory like that and it wasn't the bumper that was crooked, it was the whole front clip. two weeks in the body shop. pain in the ass but at least they were able to finish the paint job the factory had only started. door jams were a bit light on paint. when I got the truck back the body looked good. just like a new truck ::) but the hood shook, like it wasn't latched. back in twice more for that. never did cure the rattle.

that should have been a clear sign of what was to come... poorly, assembled, piece of crap!

warranty issues in first year:

seat belts wouldn't retract.. replaced
cd player.....replaced
mirror controls...replaced
drivers electric mirror..... replaced mirror
door seals... replaced and door adjusted, but unable to correct the 1/8 inch gap at bottom of doors.
transmission shifting poorly...reprogrammed
auto 4x4 wouldn't disengage..down for a week on that one. service guy said about 3k worth of repairs.
exhaust rattling...replaced or correctly installed bracket?
back up sensors stopped working..don't know what broke this time. don't care...sick of driving that f@#%& loaner exploder!
ignition switch sticking...replaced
engine running poorly....reprogrammed. ran better for about a week. 21 mpg but idles real rough. I'll have to wait for a new reprogram, should be out in a month or two
drivers rear doorwon't latch...replaced latch.
dash board started rattling..they were able to fix it while they were in to fix something for the heater controls that stopped working.
engine really running bad..3 new injectors and a new reprogram. better for about a week.. hang tight for a new reprogram. should be out in another month or two.
drivers window started clunking real loud when rolling it up. two more days in the exploder. woo hoo!

final straw:

third or fourth reprogram (can't remember) ready for the engine runability issue.. and it works! it runs perfectly all week long. finally they sorted all the bugs out of my new truck :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:..but wait why am I having to fill up gas tank in one week 300 miles? where I used to fill up at about 500 miles? I drove it around for another couple weeks keeping an eye on the mpg it was now at 14mpg from (prior to last reprogram)21mpg
when I took back to the dealership they told me  "sorry we don't warranty fuel mileage" what? you guys screwed it up! :flame: then put it back the way it was. "again, sorry sir you'll have to wait for another reprogram. might be out in a month or two"
:RantExplode:

so, that day I went to the GMC dealership and traded in my fe'd over rolling disaster for a new Sierra. to date and 35,000 miles. only one issue. cigarette lighter stopped working. it needed a new fuse :icon_smile_big:

CharlieCharger

I would have to say a 98 fordd ranger, 2.5. I beat the hell out of that thing..the ca bushings wore out really fast..the transmission leaked like a sob, it had no guts at all...but I guess it got me back and forth.
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Chryco Psycho

MY 2 GM trucks My First & my Last as  I refer to them both total pieces of Crap , cost a fortune to kjeep on the road sure the parts are cheap but the amount of parts needed is rediculous

TeeWJay426

I'd have to rate my '80 Dodge Mirada as the worst I ever owned...... however, unlike most in this thread, it's for an entirely different reason. Before it was two years old, (bought it brand new), it had been in one major crash when it was but 3 months old, after which it never would hold paint on the replaced panels; was involved in several fender benders, and burned up in a garage fire on St Patty's day, 1982. It was the biggest jinx on wheels I ever had the misfortune to own- probably should feel fortunate it never killed me! The worst from a repair standpoint was probably a 1988 Ford Taurus; the one I hated the most was a 1987 Chevy Nova (think Toyota Corolla with a bowtie.... all the comforts of a buckboard!)
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Arthu®

Ok I didn't own it, but my mom did and I had the pleasure to work on it. 1995 Mini Cooper... Cool little car, great handling, but poor engineering and construction. If I would fix one thing within 2 weeks something else would break.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Bullit_68

I bought a 83 chev s10 truck from an X friend once.That thing was the worst POS.ever it had the 2.8 v6.I was driving on a busy 4 lane hwy.one night and all the lights decided to go out for about 3 or 4 minutes lucky it was a straight stretch.Then another night coming home on the same highway at about 2am it just quit and the battery died trying to get it started the only other car around was a cop so i asked him if he would give me a boost so he did.Finally one of the heads cracked and it had the death knock lol so i sold it to my cousin for parts for $300.I was just glad to get rid of it i will never buy another GM product.

Lost Sheep

Never had bad luck with GM or Mopar.
1963 Chevy C10- drove it without troubles till I bought a 77 Nova for mileage.
1977 Chevy Nova 4 door 250 I6/Auto- drove till college then parked.
1968 Dodge Charger- Worst problem was runs abit hot.
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE- has 183k+ and drinks gas kinda bad
1989 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab/long box- tore some teeth off on flywheel.....my fault. So I got by good with GM.....raised a GM man
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

G-man

The wors car I ever baught was a 1972 VH Valiant Charger with a 245. Worked but... didnt like it too much. The other car that would classify as 'worst' is the 70 Dodge Challenger I baught thats never gotten on the road so its the worst in that sense.

My first car was 87 GTA Trans-Am which I was extremely happy about. Perfect condition.

2nd car was a 1972 VH Charger

3rd was finaly an american car 1970 Dodge Challenger, which never got on the road

4th was a 1968 Dodge Charger  that I had to sell

5th is my current car that im keeping forever 1968 Dodge Charger QQ1 Blue - Thank you 41husk (Allen)

Never owned any other car. They all been my daily drivers considering.

StoneCold

TX9H6E4CUDA

Ohhh boy out of 62 cars I have owned (im only 28) the two soar were both mopars. The first one was a 1994 plymouth acclaim. I was working at a salvage yard and I got a call about one with a bad motor. I started asking about the car and found out it was a 70,xxx mile, orignal owner, mint car for $150!!! So I looked at it, bought it and figured how could I go wrong? Well after stuffing a motor in it from a newer caravan (3.0) and started driving it. Well with in 15,xxx miles all this went bad
All the brakes,power steering pump, front struts, both front hubs, both front axles, turn signal switch, blower motor, radiator, the sway bar in the beam axle snapped, door handle came off in my hands, and it smoked like a bastard (bad guides). Well what killed the car finally was the transmission went out and used ones were $700 to $800 my cost and I just washed my hands of the car and traded it for a snap on welded. God I hate that car and hope its in hell

The other is my 2000 dodge ram 1500 4X4 regular cab long box. Well both front axles went junk, eats brakes, went through 3 factory track bars (one fell off the joint and made me hit a parked car), complete front end rebuild, power steering pump, intake gaskets, one rebuilt trans, every u joint, rear axle assembly, wiring issues (cluster will stop working and say no bus in the screen) that requires a pound on the dash to start working again, a bunchof amped door speakers, and I went to plug my phone charger into the cig ligher the element just pushed through the dash and broke and the dealer installed line visor rusted huge holes in the roof skin and flew off on the freeway. This truck leads a very easy life, it only has 126 on the speedo, is a complete tar baby, and is only used to haul parts and a 18 foot fishin boat. Not a work truck or anything and there is not even a scratch in the black paint.
so there are my two.
For the best powder coating talk to Larry at JIT Powder Coating. Absolutely amazing service, awesome quality,amazing attention to detail. Give Larry a call at 651-463-4664
Thanks again Larry

74Rallye

1990 Pontiac Grand Prick.
I bought it new and it came an engine heating problem and a bad power steering pump from the factory.
Transmission would shift from OD to first gear on small hills with a scary wham/bang.
Every time I had hit the brakes hard, it warped the front rotors.
If the battery was disconnected, the car had to go to the dealer for a reprogram.

Like clock work every 3 months a module in the computer system would blow. $300 to $500 + towing each time. Every module failure, no matter what it was, would disable the car completely.
The dealer said "The central nervous system of the computer is very sensitive"

When I spent part of an Outer Banks vacation, walking down the side of I-95, broke down near Petersburg VA (crack town ghetto) it got the for sale sign. With in days of putting the for sale sign in the window interior parts started falling off!

Any car company that would release a car that poorly engineered needed to die.

Tilar

Good Lord, I've had so many cars that I cant remember which one would be the worst... Probably the worst would be a Chevy Monza that I bought. I think it was a 78 or 79. Biggest POS anyone ever put a set of tires under.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

aussiemuscle

my worst was 76 Subaru Leone. i call it the Ugly Duckling. gave all sorts of problem. worst was the poor CV joints that would rattle all the time.

1969chargerrtse

I sat back and thought about this question and like some others I couldn't think of any that stood out throughout the decades until I came to the charger.  It was cursed from the day I bid on it. The bank lost my money, the shipping place tore the frame, the motor blew up, the gas tank leaked all over my garage, and on and on, and every part I replaced failed. I'm thrilled to report I hung in there, blamed everything on past issues and bad new parts and never gave up. It's been a great all around driver now for two years and I'm a proud owner that paid his dues and has no regret.

:drive:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.