News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hello fellow Charger owners! BEST LOOKING VEHICLE ON THE PLANET!

Started by T3/RT, December 06, 2007, 04:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plum500

Regarding the Chronos concept:

Why wasn't it made? When Daimler-Benz and Chrysler Corporation formed DaimlerChrysler, key executives within Chrysler (according to published sources) believed that the luxury cars should stay within Mercedes, and that Chrysler should concentrate on the Buick/Mercury level of the market - between Dodge and Mercedes, in essence. At the time, brand separation was very low, with suspension tuning and minor sheet metal differences separating Plymouth, Dodge, and Chrysler; the Chronos was part of a continuing search for the Chrysler icon that would raise Chrysler back to its traditional place as a cheaper and better alternative to Cadillacs and Lincolns (or, in these times, Lexus and Acura). Even if the takeover had not taken place, the Chronos, as it was, would most likely never have been made because the interior was relatively cramped, beautiful though the overall effect was.

The70RT

Quote from: 69charger2002 on December 18, 2007, 11:50:02 PM
Quote from: T3/RT on December 18, 2007, 11:40:56 PM
At Chrysler, insiders say the company is studying how best to redesign the big Chrysler 300 sedan, with one proposal said to involve a move away from the current upright, boxy silhouette to a sleeker, more aerodynamic profile in order to enhance fuel economy.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123984?CFID=9241817&CFTOKEN=92550765
isnt sleeker and aerodynamic what the older 300 looked like before this 05+ model?? i think the boxy was a big forward step.. if we have any hope of having a retro charger they better throw true aerodynamics out the window
trav

They shouldn't be concerned with areodynamics. The 300 sure doesn't have an areo front. They should maybe lay the windshield back and use the vintage like look on the front and back.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

T3/RT

Quote from: plum500 on December 19, 2007, 06:39:32 AM
I don't think the Chronos was as much of a predicessor to the 300C as the Super 8... The Chronos was old Chrysler as far as I know, before Diamler.... but I could be wrong.

No your not wrong. It`s that too :yesnod:
Super 8 is more of a predicessor.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Conv.
2005 Chrysler 300C
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT

T3/RT

You don't want to make a Charger out of that. Way too boxy.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

alfanta

Quote from: plum500 on December 19, 2007, 06:39:32 AM
I don't think the Chronos was as much of a predicessor to the 300C as the Super 8... The Chronos was old Chrysler as far as I know, before Diamler.... but I could be wrong.

That image represents all that is wrong with chrysler design.

it is the Cerberus of the chrysler. I hopw that i dont see that thing guarding the gates to hell.

plum500

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

T3/RT

LS variant will be revealed at the New York Auto Show.  :yesnod:

Don`t know what it is.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

the 2008.5 Challenger SRT8 is sold out.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

The70RT

Quote from: T3/RT on December 20, 2007, 01:54:28 PM

How many different models did or are they making? Is there a lower H.P. Hemi and is there a base car with a six?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

T3/RT

Quote from: The70RT on December 20, 2007, 07:48:10 PM
Quote from: T3/RT on December 20, 2007, 01:54:28 PM

How many different models did or are they making? Is there a lower H.P. Hemi and is there a base car with a six?

The first Challengers will be SRT-8 models with automatic transmissions, with a HEMI® Orange exterior, hood stripes, and a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine, produced in March or April as 2008 models. The first three will be auctioned off for charity. After the 2008s, all SRT8 automatics, comes 2009 model-year production with all three engines and both size Hemis with six-speed T-56 manual transmissions.

The always-reliable oh20 reported that the LC series Challenger would start production in April 2008 with the SRT8 and 6.1 liter engine. The 2009 Challenger, to be built starting in July 2008, will include a 3.5 liter SXT with the 3.5 liter engine and four-speed automatic, R/T with the second-generation 5.7 Hemi, and the SRT-8. The 2010, to start production in July 2009 - with convertibles starting in early 2009 - will be similar but with SXT and R/T convertibles, and possibly a new 6.4 liter High Output SRT8 option. Finally, the 2011 Challenger will include the 4.0 liter Phoenix engine instead of the 3.5 liter.

Available features and options on the 2008-09 Challengers will be very similar to the 2008 Charger lineup, with the addition of functional hood scoops, Keyless Go ignition and entry (2009MY), and the six-speed manual TREMEC transmission (2009MY). Six-speed SRT models will include a couple of surprise features that will have Challenger enthusiasts talking. Challenger wheel sizes should run from 17" to 20", with no spare tires on any models (and no run-flats), tire service kits will be included. Look for chrome fuel filler doors on the R/T and SRT models.

The Hemi engine is set for an upgrade, which may be why the non-SRT Challenger will take some time to show up. By 2009, Chrysler will have variable cam timing set up for its Hemi engines, neatly leapfrogging most variable-valve timing systems. The multiple displacement system is expected to remain for most, if not all, 5.7 Hemis. A 6.4 liter version is still expected, with 450-500 hp, though whether this is earmarked for the Challenger or not is still in question.

The official introduction / unveiling is set for February 6, 2008, 11 am, CST. Actual production is reportedly set for April 21, 2008. Availability should be around May-June 2008. We will be in Chicago for the reveal.

The Dodge Challenger will be produced as a coupe, to arrive in dealerships in 2008 (as a 2008 model year car), and to be built on the same line as the 300 and Charger. Chrysler assures us that the production car will be practically indistinguishable from the concept.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

Manual transmission versions of the 2009 Challenger R/T and SRT models will have Hill Start Assist; it helps the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the same level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal. The system will release the brake pedal in proportion to the amount of throttle applied. If the throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal, Hill Start Assist will release brake pressure. Trivia: Stutz had Hill Start Assist (they called it the Noback) in 1929.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/cas/cas/themes/products/electronic_brake_and_safety_systems/sensor_systems_and_electronics/hsa_en.html

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

Latest Allpar-exclusive Chally news:

Looks like the IP surround has gone from a biege to a satin silver colour...

Also interesting are the front seatbelt mounts. Normally the seatbelts on two door cars are bolted to the bottom of the B post, then travel up the B post at which point you grab it and place over your chest. But in the Challenger it is set up like in a convertible. There is a small bar, maybe 4 inches long at the bottom of the B post which the seat belt is attached to. This allows it to slide back and forth to help with getting it out of the way when getting in the back. Then the seat belt travels through a loop at the top of the seats like in a convertible. You grab the seat belt from the top of the seat and then place across you chest. Maybe they have this system in place for when a vert is built? For hard top or soft top line installation process would be the same...

--oh2o--

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

Just found out from PVOman. The LS variant is The Chrysler Firepower. Will be revealed at the New York Auto Show.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

Musicman

T3/RT

More on the lightweight skins from Hemidakota:

Chrysler engineering model using new high-strength steel

Using a new line of high strength steels, Chrysler says it can simultaneously achieve better safety and improved fuel economy. This new high-strength steel allows vehicles to be made lighter and therefore more fuel-efficient, without losing any strength for safety. Chrysler announced the breakthrough along with the American Iron and Steel Institute. They claim that this new steel allows a reduction in overall vehicle weight of up to 13 percent. That's huge, especially if this new steel is relatively affordable compared to, say, aluminum. While the newer steel won't be used throughout the entire vehicle, the weight savings could result in a 1 percent improvement in fuel economy, and as we've said, every little bit helps.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

Some interesting comments I found from Hemidakota about the next Viper. I`m wondering, If the new Firepower & the rumored 2door Charger are to be built on the LS Platform. The Firepower is very sports car sleek. That inturn would obviously mean the Charger would have to be very Firepower like. But will the new Firepower have a back seat? The Firepower we know today was built on the Viper platform. If Firepower is LS, what 3 vehicles will share the ZC Platform?(I am told decisions are being made quickly and are changing by the day. This quote by hemi may no longer be relevant that it is from 08/27/07) I hope those guys on the SRTforums come back to work soon. I`m eager for some more info.

Hemidakota:

The Viper is already under the tier-5 emissions and then some. Performance is built in for another model run in 2009 - referred too as the HO model.

The ZB platform is short lived and will be replaced by the next ZC shared halo platform. Expect a retro Viper cue design but shared by another three vehicles.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

71 Bee Man

Quote from: bull on December 06, 2007, 04:59:11 PM
Are you kidding? Is this for real? Chrysler is going to listen to us and make a new Charger that looks like a Charger should? Somebody shoot me because life ain't going to get any better if you're telling the truth. :icon_smile_big:

EDIT -- Hold on. Let me be perfectly clear on what I think since I have a fairly strong opinion and possibly an audience that can listen and do something about it (let's pretend for a moment that my opinion really matters :icon_smile_big:). If we're talking a two-door version of what we have now (as in your first link) I'm not interested. It's not just about door count is about the styling. First off, the current Charger has no styling cues that pay homage to the most popular and sought-after years, 68-70, and that's bad. Second, lose the friggin' crosshairs grill already. You've tied your styling hands by forcing designers to incorporate that grill into everything Dodge makes. Leave it for the trucks. When people see a good-looking car they are smart enough to figure out what it is, they go out of their way to figure it out, they don't need a grill to tell them. Third, lose the two rear doors and don't bring them back. Even the ugly Chargers prior to '06 only had two doors. If it has four doors it's not a Charger, it's an Intrepid or a Coronet or a Stratus or a Polara or a Dart or a Monaco, etc., not a Charger. If it has to have four doors name it something else. That said, most of us were pretty happy with the '99 concept because there was some effort to make it look like a classic Charger. That body coupled with the technology and powertrain of your current "Charger" would be pretty cool IMO. The '99 concept was a good start but how you got from that to what we have now is a frustrating mystery to many of us. In short, make the new Charger look like a classic Charger or "if you can't do it right don't do it at all."

BTW, welcome to the site. :2thumbs:

G'day guys,

well.....here's my 2 cents worth.

I don't agree that a 2 door Charger would have to "pay homage" to 68 - 70 Chargers. I think that's just becoming too entrenched in the past. I actually really like that "mocked up" picture of the current black Charger with 2 doors - mean as hell if you ask me. The Charger name isn't synonymous with the shape of the 68-70 cars.....it's synonymous with performance and image.....with a 6.1 and that tough "new" look, those bases are more than covered.
I agree that any Charger should have 2 doors (sorry Chrysler.....it's just a fact and you guys seem to be the only people on the planet that haven't figured it out).  :brickwall:

You may be interested to know that from a potential international sales point of view, here in Australia the name Charger is associated wholly with the Australian designed Charger of the early 70's. It was the most successful and attractive hardtop ever made in Australia to date, so when you guys think that Charger must be the 2nd Gen design - think again. Down here it's only real Mopar guys that know anything about a "Dodge" Charger. :shruggy:

Yep, I loved the 99 Concept as much as anyone, but I tell you whatt.....if they built anything even close to that 2 door "mock up", they'd be on a certain winner.

I also think the current grille looks pretty tuff.

Peter :2thumbs:
Sydney, Australia
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

T3/RT

I think the current Charger design`s time has passed. MY2010 both of the LX`s will be redesigned and the platform will change. Don`t know how much of the current design will be kept, if any.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

plum500

What's this LC Challenger and LS platform? Never heard of the LS. As far as I knew the Firepower (reborn) was to be built on the Viper platform. Mainly so they could take advantage of free cycles at a manufacturing plant that made them (Conner I believe?).

AFAIK the Challenger prototype was on a modified LX, which was essentially prototyping the LY platform at the same time. Slightly shorter wheel base, and also supporting a slightly wider vehicle (the Challenger, by ~1.5" I believe) - though I'm not sure the platform itself has any strict width issues that have anything to do with that or not. Anyhow, the LY has long been talked about as the replacement platform for the LX with flexibility in mind when it comes to manufacturing - basically a more component based process which will allow production of many different vehicles on the same line.

My question is the Challenger actually on the official new platform (LY), or is it modified LXs? Not that I know the differences, I just know the direction the new platform is supposed to go.

T3/RT

Quote from: plum500 on January 03, 2008, 09:00:51 AM
What's this LC Challenger and LS platform? Never heard of the LS. As far as I knew the Firepower (reborn) was to be built on the Viper platform. Mainly so they could take advantage of free cycles at a manufacturing plant that made them (Conner I believe?).

AFAIK the Challenger prototype was on a modified LX, which was essentially prototyping the LY platform at the same time. Slightly shorter wheel base, and also supporting a slightly wider vehicle (the Challenger, by ~1.5" I believe) - though I'm not sure the platform itself has any strict width issues that have anything to do with that or not. Anyhow, the LY has long been talked about as the replacement platform for the LX with flexibility in mind when it comes to manufacturing - basically a more component based process which will allow production of many different vehicles on the same line.

My question is the Challenger actually on the official new platform (LY), or is it modified LXs? Not that I know the differences, I just know the direction the new platform is supposed to go.

Ya Plum, I am a little confused about the platforms as well. This is what I was told when I asked about the next gen Charger platform:

Quote: Originally Posted by T3/RT
Hemi, Can you tell us more about the next gen platform? I know you said it will be a little smaller.Will it be a 2door only platform?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hemidakota
Only a few inches but the next gen platform is a flexible length. You will see the LS a derivative of the next gen LX as other mid-size will be added later. The goal is to lessen the platform frames to two car version in the coming decade. This is to be shared with four other manufactures ; along with various parts.

This is what I know about the Viper.
DEATH OF THE VIPER PRODUCTION FROM CONNER IS COMING:

Closes facility to be called a 'coach builder' is Metal Crafters.

If Viper continues, most likely will be outsourced on the ZC Platform.

What I know about the new Firepower is:

LS=Firepower=NY Show

Firepower is an LS variant

The 2008 Challenger is an LX variant(LC).

LY is the platform code for the second-generation LX cars

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

Charger SRT8:

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 120.0 in
Length: 200.1 in
Width: 74.5 in
Height: 57.7 in
Curb weight: 4274 lb

Challenger Concept:

Length: 197.8" (5025 mm)
Wheelbase: 116.0" (2945mm)
Front Overhang: 38.9" (989mm)
Width: 78.6" (1997mm)
Height: 57.0" (1449mm)
Track, Frt/Rr: 64.0"/65.1"
Couple: 31.5" (800mm)

The Challenger may ride a shorter wheelbase to decrease weight, but on the other hand, it may simply be a two-door variant, much as the original Dodge Charger was a two-door version of the Coronet.

The concept car has a 116 inch wheelbase, while the other LXs use a 120 inch wheelbase; but it's a custom-made, carbon-fiber-bodied one-off concept car. The 1970 Challenger was 191 inches long (with a 110 inch wheelbase); the concept is 198 inches, and two inches wider than the original. Built by Metalcrafters, it weighs 4,160 pounds.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

Sources say Chrysler is prepared to "make an instantaneous decision" to discontinue the Viper, especially if it "no longer can deliver the desired halo effect."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124224

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

moparstuart

Quote from: T3/RT on January 10, 2008, 01:00:03 PM
Sources say Chrysler is prepared to "make an instantaneous decision" to discontinue the Viper, especially if it "no longer can deliver the desired halo effect."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124224
your killing me with all this bad news
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE