News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Work benches. Show me what you got

Started by bull, November 30, 2007, 12:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm getting ready to get myself a work bench in the garage (I've needed one forever) but I don't know what route to go. I thought about just buying one from Home Depot, Sears or Lowe's but they seem too small and short. I've seen a few custom built benches by friends made of 4x4s, 2x4s and plywood that look ok -- kind of sloppy some of them but practical. Then at work I noticed one that was factory made of metal and although originally short someone had welded what looked like 10-inch leg extensions on it with castors. I liked that one but finding an old metal bench to modify might be a trick, and I don't really want castors on mine. I'm also going to need room for a bench grinder and a vise. I believe it will end up being about 6-7 feet long and roughly 42-inches to the top of the bench with a peg board back and upper shelf where I can attach an electrical strip and light to underneath.

Anyway, what do you guys like? Wood top on metal, metal top on wood, drawers, shelves, peg board, etc., etc.? Any pictures you can provide of yours would be great. :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Mine is a thick metal frame with wood around it. :2thumbs:. I'll post pics in a while
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

PocketThunder

This is the only workbench i use.  :D
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bill440rt

My buddy is a carpenter, & helped me build mine. This thing is virtually indestructible. It puts any store-bought one to shame.

It has 4x4 posts with 2x4 construction up top, with 2x12's doubled-up nailed to that. Half of the table top is covered with stainless steel for a nice work surface area, the other half is smooth-faced hardboard. It is also anchored to the concrete block wall on the back of my garage.
It is the same depth as a kitchen countertop. I simply got a small kitchen cabinet with drawer & large lower storage at one corner for quick handy items. It is tall enough for most things to go underneath (air compressor, battery charger, empty gas can, jack stands, welder, etc.). I have a bend grinder & vise also mounted on top.

These dinky ready-made ones or bench kits from Sears, Home Depot, etc look like garbage.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

PocketThunder

Here is my set up, if you can see it thru all the crap.  I used the kitchen cabinets from my old kitchen.  they work good.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

I thought I had a full-on shot of mine...looks like I've only got one of the upper portion. :shruggy:
Anyhoo, mine's one of the wood flavors. It's got 4x4 legs, 2x4 horizontal boards for the frame, 1" plywood for the upper shelf & doubled up 1" plywood for the workbench tabletop, with a pegboard back. It's pretty stout & is anchored to the wall in two spots, to keep from wiggling when I clamp things to the surface.
There's no way I'd want one on casters. A small work tray maybe, but not a work bench.

I'd like to get a metal table top for mine one day.

If you can find someone selling a used solid wood door from a home remodel, those make great table tops, I've heard. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 30, 2007, 02:20:54 PM
If you can find someone selling a used solid wood door from a home remodel, those make great table tops, I've heard. :)

My old roommates Dad got a lane out of a bowling alley that was getting torn down.  That made for a great work bench top.  And no, he didnt use the whole length, i know that would be your next question.  :nana:

Khyron

not that great, but a local CVS went out of business and my friend who is a cop hooked up with the former owner and got us in to grab a bunch of stuff, we both made out very well, then some friends redid their Kitchen and I raided that also.

If you can find a drug store going out of business, I strongly recommend trying to get as much peg board and counters as you can. I have a bunch more pegboard in my rafters. You can never have too much ;)

Also have some extra shelfs.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 30, 2007, 02:20:54 PM

That's exactly what I have on both workbenches, the one in the garage & the one in the basement & they are very durable.   :2thumbs:

I got them for free from the office building I used to work at when they remodelled part of the building. Each one is roughly 3' x 7' & 2" thick. The core is particle board & the surfaces are oak veneer. One had paint spilled on it, but the other was nice & almost ashame to make a work surface out of it. They were ready for the dumpster when I asked the building super about them. He said take them, but hurry or they'll be gone. These things were so damn heavy that when I went to pick it up from the loading dock, at first I had thought they were stuck to the floor.  :o

I framed up a base made from leftover 2x4's positioned vertically, & horizontal 2x6's for the lower shelf. The 2 side & back panels are 1/2" OSB sheets from Home Depot's cull lumber cart. (Scrap or damaged wood that's discounted.) Other than the pair of 8' long 2x6's I had to buy, everything was free or from the discount cart. My cost into one bench is probably under $20 & I bet the screws I used cost more than the lumber.

Anyone remember that repro 1971 Barracuda grille I posted about? Well, that crate I built & shipped to Premiere Plastics so they could send the grille back to me in, is now mounted on the wall above my bench for an overhead cabinet. I just added some firring strips inside to support a shelf.  :D

I'll get a picture after work tonight & add it later, but if you look in the lower left corner of the pic below you can see it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

HITMAN 149

68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Brock Samson

:o wow you guys got room,.. what a concept!  :shruggy: mines on the right under the boxes about four deep...
so, anyhow,... Since my dad got ill ten years ago and i moved back in with him, i folded the band and the music studio and all that stuff plus my stuff is stuffed in the garage and around the house now,... so these two black steamer trunks (my dad's) have been my work benches for a decade now... they are kinda' convienient and near the door so with the garage open i get good natural light the stuff is where i can reach it too, i just move the stuff around as i need it..  :shruggy: looks like crap but i also have work surfaces scattered around the house..

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 30, 2007, 04:22:11 PM
:o wow you guys got room,.. what a concept!  :shruggy: mines on the right under the boxes about four deep...
you need some shelves in there & maybe even a small loft. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 30, 2007, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on November 30, 2007, 04:22:11 PM
you need some shelves in there & maybe even a small loft. :2thumbs:

Boxes too.  :cheers:

You'd be surprised at how much better things can be stored by stacking boxes. Of course you have to label them or you're screwed. When I bought all that discount lumber at Home Depot, a lot of it was 1x3's & lots of 1/4" thick, 2 feet by 4 feet OSB sheets. These things made great storage shelves on the second floor of the garage from floor to ceiling.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Looks like some pretty cool setups. Sounds like most of you are in favor of the custom, do-it-yourself models and i'm pretty sure that's the route I'll be going. You just can't anything premade nearly as sturdy and large for the price. I look at some of the $175 work benches at the home improvement places and it's almost as if you expect to see the word Playskool on them somewhere. I bet I can get one built for less than $50, even with regularly-priced lumber.

Khyron

Quote from: bull on November 30, 2007, 06:09:32 PM
Looks like some pretty cool setups. Sounds like most of you are in favor of the custom, do-it-yourself models and i'm pretty sure that's the route I'll be going. You just can't anything premade nearly as sturdy and large for the price. I look at some of the $175 work benches at the home improvement places and it's almost as if you expect to see the word Playskool on them somewhere. I bet I can get one built for less than $50, even with regularly-priced lumber.

Mine went in phases, Go to craigs list and look for people that are getting rid of kitchen stuff. I would say even go as far as posting an add saying that you will haul any cabinets and counters away.

Cars cost money, counter space shouldn't ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

One question if I go with formica: how do you attach it to the framework without screwing it up?

Khyron

you can attach from the bottom.

If you get cabinets they have the provisions, if not, then just drill half was through the 2x4 from the bottom up, then put in the screw  :2thumbs:

of you can just silicone it up :D

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Brock Samson

well i built lotsa' shelves and a small 6x4' loft 'n their all loaded with boxes...  :slap:  :lol:
your making me ambitious,.. what i need is to make a serious dump run...

HITMAN 149

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 30, 2007, 09:14:25 PM
well i built lotsa' shelves and a small 6x4' loft 'n their all loaded with boxes...  :slap:  :lol:
your making me ambitious,.. what i need is to make a serious dump run...

brock...
or all you need to do is have one of your famous.... pull everything out & what does anybody need weekends!!!  :D
i remember seeing a couple things i could use!!!! hehehe
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

HITMAN 149

beat it kid.... i said it first!!!!!!!!!!  :icon_smile_blackeye:
:nana:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

rav440

not the best pics , this was 16 foot but i had to notch out 3 foot of it  for the fridge / tap system now its a 9 footer on the left and 4 foot where the pc sits . its aaprox 34" high with 4 X 4 posts , 2 X 4 16" o/c framming 3/4" plywood top covers by 3/4" MDF with purple laminate

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic