News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Challenger SRT8 MSRP pricing announcement from Chrysler - $37,995

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, November 29, 2007, 06:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bull on November 30, 2007, 01:11:00 PM
When is the last time you saw a Prowler in person

last week  :icon_smile_big:. Well as long as I see a new Challenger in person, take some pics of it and get my picture taken with it, then I'm happy.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

You're lucky. I never see jack squat around here except at car shows. Still I've never seen a prowler at any of the shows.

(Knuckleheads should have put a V8 in them :icon_smile_blackeye:)

Brock Samson

unfortunalty it was after the greman takeover that that got done with the older 4.7 engine.. the car was originally developed for the six, and all development was stopped on rear wheel drive v-8s by the time the prowler got underway...
but check this puppy out..
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/howler/howler_drive4.html

oldcarnut

I talked with two dealers today about the Challenger order pricing and both said that if I didn't plan to pay 10 - 15k minimum over sticker that I may as well forget it  :eek2:.  They're just about going to take the highest bidders first for the orders.  I replied in as nice as a way that I could manage that I would wait for a while and would not be buying it from them when I did  :nana:.  I have no problem driving my 70 Chally as my second everyday main transportation now anyways and I only have about $5500 in it from some trading around and not $55,000.

Ghoste

Nice, maybe the dealers will be able to kill it the way the Ford dealers did with the last Thunderbird.
You know, there were even some idiots who paying above sticker for the "privilege" of being the first PT Cruiser owners too.  ::)

69charger2002

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2007, 12:53:13 AM
Nice, maybe the dealers will be able to kill it the way the Ford dealers did with the last Thunderbird.
You know, there were even some idiots who paying above sticker for the "privilege" of being the first PT Cruiser owners too.  ::)

very true. i remember those days i was laughing at the people paying over sticker for PT's.. it will be that way with the challenger.. but after the rich and famous and desperate get their hands on them and after a few months the fad fades, the die hards with normal working jobs(90% of us on this board) will then be able to own one.. and we won't care that the fad has faded by then, we'll just be glad to FINALLY get a RWD 2 DOOR muscle retro car from detriot in modern day. think about it, 10 years ago we didn't think this day would ever happen.. what's a few extra months gonna hurt now??
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Ghoste

You're right, hell, two years ago I didn't think this day would happen.

68charger383

Quote from: oldcarnut on December 01, 2007, 12:46:43 AM
I talked with two dealers today about the Challenger order pricing and both said that if I didn't plan to pay 10 - 15k minimum over sticker that I may as well forget it 

I heard the same thing when I went to check on the SRT8 Charger when they were first going to take orders a few years back..."that car will set you back about $55K when it comes out"

I would anticipate the Mustang being severely discounted by Ford to keep/steal market share from the potential buyer pool. I think this will help our cause in having Dodge fight back by flooding the market in 2009 with the new Challengers.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Ghoste

With them only being available as a high performance model and CAFE standards being what they are, I wouldn't count too much on Dodge flooding the market with cheap Challengers.  CAFE standards are likely to get tougher soon besides.  Top it all off with the fact that performance buyers are a niche market and a small one (despite what Mustang sales may lead us to believe) especially compared to the family car/minivan market which is where the big money is.  :Twocents:

Brock Samson

i was offered $6K off a SRT cedan two days ago... $10k off a crossfire Fri. more off if i was wiiling to trade the 300 on the spot.  :lol:

SeattleCharger

dealer in bellevue had the SRT8 charger at 50K,  marked up over the msrp

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Ghoste

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 03, 2007, 10:37:00 AM
Did anyone bite on it at that price?

I don't know, haven't been back there, that was this summer.   That was on the dealer sticker in the window. 50K
  He said they had it marked up like that because of the demand though.  Could have been the sales pitch.   :shruggy:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

kamkuda

I think we will have on in our driveway at some point.   ;D   May not be the first ones off the line, maybe in the 2nd year if demand is too crazy.

HeavyFuel

Even if I did have the 50-60 large for the '08, I would be skepical about getting one.  All I have seen is the concept, and look what happened to the Charger between '99 and production.

Ghoste

The difference here is that the barely disguised prototypes have been widely photographed being tested in a number of locations.  There was also a platform change, a regime change, a stylistic trend change, a corporate philosophy change, and a need to fill a market segment with a marketing approved name as quickly as possible.  I think the Challenger is going to be delivered very very close to what the concept promises.

Troy

Speaking of dealers, I was at one a few weeks ago and they had a used 2007 Charger SRT-8 (red). I think it had about 18k miles and they had $43k on the window. I pointed out to the salesman that I could buy a new one for several thousand dollars less and his response was "that's just a number". :eyes: I told him I wouldn't be buying anything from his dealership and he could explain that to his boss. I suppose they could give you $5k off and argue that it's a great deal (or trying to catch a sucker who doesn't know any better).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

Put a Viper engine in it and maybe 38,000 won't sound so bad.  I hope all those dealers who want to mark it up 10K go broke. Serves them right. :Twocents:

Brock Samson

keepat

Just placed my order for a 08 Challenger, Hemi orange with all three options!
Upgraded tires $50
Nav system $800
Sunroof $950
My cost less tax & tags $41,985 :2thumbs:
Shelby GT 500 for sale this spring :yesnod:
Pat

89MOPAR

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 30, 2007, 09:53:27 AM
Other than the gross display of greed with the dealer mark up, that price isn't totally outrageous. That doesn't mean I can afford it, but my Dodge Ram had a sticker of $36K & I got it as a leftover for $23K. Don't forget there will be a handful of car buyers that are not car enthusiasts. These people will just get one because they can afford it & have to be the first one on their block to drive it because it's new. After a couple of years they'll move onto whatever else is the new fad, & they'll sell off the SRT/8 just like a used car with a depreciation on it that will make it an affordable used car. Anyone remember the stupidity involving the Buick GNX back in the 80's?

I seriously doubt you'll see these as cheap leftovers the following year, but a low mileage, previously owned, & only driven on sunny day Challengers will be available at some point.

Usually I agree with what you write OldMoparz but I think you are way off on this one......... IF a person can afford to pay more than sticker price, or pay the dealer their markup, in order to get one of the first vehicles of that type - Then they are an Enthusiast !   Because an enthusiast will pay more, perhaps he is More dedicated.  Lets face it, the auto manufacturers want to sell cars to people who buy one new, at MSRP.   Their primary target customer is not the fellow who waits two years and 30K miles to buy a used car so he can pay 1/2 price.
  If he is not an enthusiast, why is "the rich guy" buying a specific car when it first comes out ?   If he doesn't care what he drives, then it doesn't matter that he gets it new.  If he just wants to impress, than he can buy a big diamond, or an island, or a indoor pool.  Rich people do not impress other rich people with a 40K car.
Just because a buyer has more $$ than the majority of us, doesn't exclude him from being an enthusiast.  If he sells the car after two years to buy a different car, it doesn't mean he doesn't love cars, it means he wants something different, a new thrill.

77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Ghoste

But by the same token, having lots of money and wanting to show it by paying whatever it takes to "be the first on your block to own one" doesn't automatically make him an enthusiast either.  No doubt, some are, but many are also just showing off.  :Twocents:

Chatt69chgr

Selling cars is the modern version of horse and mule trading.  No difference.  You try to get as much as you can.  Read Ben K. Green's excellent book "Horse-Tradin" if you want to see how it was done.  When these cars first show up, there will be a significant number of folks that will pay whatever they have to to get one.  I read somewhere that last year, 1% of the people in the US got about 21% of all the money and that 50% of the people got around 13% of all the money.  Those 1% may not care what the car costs------they just want one.  So they will be the driving factor in setting the price for a while.  I think you will have to wait maybe 6 months after they come out in regular production for the dust to settle.  That would be around Feb/Mar of 2009.  It'll be cold then, nobody will want to go out, we will probably be right in the middle of the housing debacle, nobody will have any money, and who knows what else will be going on.  They will probably kiss your rear to buy one then.  If not, wait 6 more months.  The wow factor should have worn off by then and you should be able to get one at a good price.  I read somewhere that Chrysler was buying lots of high impact colors.  I figure they will do what they have done with the Charger and come out with several "special" models, ie, different color with historic name attached, and probably limit production on each of these to 3000 or so cars kind of like they did the Rumblebee trucks.  Those will probably go higher but I figure there will be plenty of std models available at a good price to us that are not members of the fortunate 1%.  But get one no matter what because I really believe this is the end of the line for a rear drive V8 powered sports car made in America (or Canada in this case). 

Magnumcharger

Pre-orders taken on ebay:
"Notice that this auction is for how much over MSRP you are willing to pay for the new Challenger".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-Build-to-your-Specs_W0QQitemZ140186829650QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And check out the factory brochure!!
Look at that gas cap!! Awesome!!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed