News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

80's bands-flash in the pans

Started by 69CoronetRT, November 28, 2007, 12:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: twilt on November 28, 2007, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on November 28, 2007, 01:06:51 PM

...just before Nirvana blew everyone out of the water (for better or worse) in the early 90's...

worse

Maybe it's an age thing. Nevermind came out just as I was about to enter my teenage years, and pretty much anyone who was between 12-15 at the time was blown away by that record, because it sounded like it was written about us, for us. I outgrew Nirvana a long time ago, but every now and then when I hear "In Bloom", "Lithium", or any of those songs, I am reminded of how much those songs meant to me when I was an angry, confused kid, and I really appreciate them in that context.

Quote from: moparstuart on November 28, 2007, 01:13:25 PM
  jackyl is still popular here and played on the radio all the time  ?  they play that chain saw song all the time

Well yeah, they may still get airplay in some places, but so does Laura Brannigan. I mean, besides the Chainsaw song and "Down on me"...what else did they do that they're remembered for? Nothing. I for one know that they have a couple of other good songs ("Dirty Little Mind", "She loves my c--k"), but they never hit big.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TruckDriver

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 28, 2007, 12:56:47 PM
Out of all the bands I have seen I havent seen anyone play guitar like Ted Nugent but Aldo Nova was a close 2nd to Uncle Ted.

Todd

You know he has a new cd out? The song "Love Grenade" ROCKS!

http://www.tednugent.com/Store/Product.aspx?id=DM000596
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

nh_mopar_fan

Ted puts out albums fairly regularly. He toured last summer. I saw him with ZZ Top a couple years ago.

The Tubes were really great before they went commercial.

dodgecharger-fan

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

(Technically they had 4 or 5 songs that got to the top 5 in the UK, but Tainted Love is their only US top 40)

Thanks for the Jim Carrol link - I totally forgot about that song. I used have the album.

Ponch ®

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on November 28, 2007, 01:47:23 PM
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

(Technically they had 4 or 5 songs that got to the top 5 in the UK, but Tainted Love is their only US top 40)

didn't they do "Sex Dwarf" too? I don't know how much of a mainstream hit it was, but the local "alternative rock" station (KROQ) that I used to listen to would play it a lot during 80's Flashback weekends and the like.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

1FastCharger

ALRIGHT!!!! You guy hit on one of my FAVORITE subjects. I graduated high school in 1987 so I was in the middle of hair metal and loved it. I still do. Almost all of the band continued after hair metal faded. Most continued on overseas as this music is still popular in Europe.

LOUDNESS - This was my favorite band of the eighties. They broke up after thier short lived US fame. Most poeple don't know there are several CDs that predate the US hits. The lead singer Minoru Niihara went on the form the bands XYZ to A, Dead Chaplin and Sly. Later the original LOUDNESS lineup reunited and they have been putting out albums since. Their new style is loud and heavy, not like the hiar metal style.

EZO - Flashback Heart Attack - Great song. This Japanese band was produced by Gene Simmons. They had two albums then were gone.

ACCEPT - Anyone who likes Accept (Balls' to the Wall) should look for UDO. He was the Accept lead singer. He has a bunch of CDs that sound just like Accept and are very good.

AUTOGRAPH - Another of my favorites. They only had a few but were a very good band. I have one CD of unrelesed cuts called Missing Pieces that is good. Also they had a new CD not too long ago called BUZZ. It is OK, but nnot like the old stuff.

HELIX - Deep Cuts the Kinife was my favorite. They had a new album not too long ago. It was OK.

DOKKEN - They had some good 80's hits then broke up. They are back together and have been putting out CDs. They still sound good, but Don can't quite hit those highs like he used to.

STRYPER - They were a Christian Rock band that was quite popular. They also broke up and later reunited. Their latest album was really good. Again the lead singer can't quite get the highs going (he used to really hit some glass shattering nnotes).

HELLOWEEN - This band is still around. They changed lead singers a few times. Their current singer Andi Deris is awsome. One of the old lead singers, Kia Hansen has a band called Gamma Ray that is quite good.

BRIGHTON ROCK - A Canadian band with a few hits. We Came to Rock was their most famous. I have not heard anything new from them.

AXE - Saw they were mentioned earlier. I thought their best song was Battles. They had a new CD a while back that sounded good.

KILLER - They had a geat song called Crystal Butterfly. Nothing from them since.

WARLOCK - Had a female vocalist - Doro Pesch. The song East Meets West was good. She just released a new CD called DORO.

GARY MOORE - Had one good rock CD called Into the Wild Frontier with a hit song Over the Hills. He then went back to blues.

TNT - Best song was Seven Seas although they had several hit songs. They released a new CD not too long ago.

ZEBRA - I loved the BEARS song, but again they had more hits like Tell Me What You Want. Nothing from them lately.

I'll have to look through my CDs when I get home to find more. I have nearly 1000 that are mostly 80s rock, hair bands and heavy metal.

66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

Old Moparz

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on November 28, 2007, 11:51:23 AM
I tend to like "One hit wonders" so here are a few in my cd collection All are rock or hard rock & metal by the way. And I did add some early '90s bands as '80s music still was the early '90s style of music.

E.L.P. - "Touch And Go"

Just wondering if you meant E.L.P. was a one hit wonder? They weren't, even if their career seemed to have vanished.   :lol:

I saw them 5 or 6 times dating all the way back to 1977 which was my first concert ever.  :icon_smile_big:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 28, 2007, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on November 28, 2007, 11:51:23 AM
I tend to like "One hit wonders" so here are a few in my cd collection All are rock or hard rock & metal by the way. And I did add some early '90s bands as '80s music still was the early '90s style of music.

E.L.P. - "Touch And Go"

Just wondering if you meant E.L.P. was a one hit wonder? They weren't, even if their career seemed to have vanished.   :lol:

I saw them 5 or 6 times dating all the way back to 1977 which was my first concert ever.  :icon_smile_big:
brain salad surgery !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Manfred318

If your looking for just one hit wonders I would say these would fit nicely.
Flock of Seagulls- I Ran
The Buggles- Video Killed the Radio star.
Nena-99 Luftballons
Devo- Whip It
Men Without Hats- Saftey Dance
Theres a radio station here that plays alot of the 80's New Wave stuff. Its not my thing but it beats listening to 10 minutes of commercials between songs.

Quote from: 1FastCharger on November 28, 2007, 02:38:09 PM

ACCEPT - Anyone who likes Accept (Balls' to the Wall) should look for UDO. He was the Accept lead singer. He has a bunch of CDs that sound just like Accept and are very good.

DOKKEN - They had some good 80's hits then broke up. They are back together and have been putting out CDs. They still sound good, but Don can't quite hit those highs like he used to.

HELLOWEEN - This band is still around. They changed lead singers a few times. Their current singer Andi Deris is awsome. One of the old lead singers, Kia Hansen has a band called Gamma Ray that is quite good.

WARLOCK - Had a female vocalist - Doro Pesch. The song East Meets West was good. She just released a new CD called DORO.

I love Accept. "Balls to the Wall" Is a must have album and one of my favorites. "Metal Heart" was also a damn fine album IMO. UDO, a great band as well.
Dokken is another on of my favorites. "Tooth and Nail' and "Back for the Attack" are two of their best again IMO.
Helloweens former singer was also in Iron Savior, another great Power Metal band.
Doro's newest cd is called Warrior Soul and is a pretty cool album. The Self titled DORO cd was released in 1990. I like her stuff with Warlock better.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

nh_mopar_fan

Devo did a cover of the Stones "Satisfaction" as well as "Jerkin' back and forth" and "workin in a coal mine".

They were probablymarginal hits.

Ponch ®

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on November 28, 2007, 03:21:28 PM
Devo did a cover of the Stones "Satisfaction" as well as "Jerkin' back and forth" and "workin in a coal mine".

They were probablymarginal hits.

"Girl U Want" was a great song. Don't know if it was a hit or not though.

Brock Samson

one the topic of DEVO, my Fav was red eye express...  :popcrn:

live version    http://youtube.com/watch?v=psz8yiW_jos

studio version   http://youtube.com/watch?v=33MmvY7RcBs

how about the suburban lawns they were in a similar vein and an awesome band as well, they only had two albums one an EP with six songs, all too short...
i liked them alot back when i was struggeling to break in in L.A.

JANITOR   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=32-LHS2-LxU

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 28, 2007, 01:52:31 PM
Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on November 28, 2007, 01:47:23 PM
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

didn't they do "Sex Dwarf" too? I don't know how much of a mainstream hit it was, but the local "alternative rock" station (KROQ) that I used to listen to would play it a lot during 80's Flashback weekends and the like.

Yessir, they did, but I've never heard of it 'til now..

1FastCharger

Doro's newest cd is called Warrior Soul and is a pretty cool album. The Self titled DORO cd was released in 1990. I like her stuff with Warlock better.

Right right.....I could not think of the album name. I just said the band name. I also like the duet she did with UDO. It is really cool how those groups join together to make some killer CDs like Advantasia, Demons & Wizards...etc...

1FastCharger

Maybe this thread should be called "Great 80's Bands - what happened to them"

KROKUS - One of my favorites. They have been around a long time and are still recording new albums. The good thing is they still have the same sound. The newest CD is called HELLRAISER.

MANOWAR - Had a hit with BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS. They had a lot of other good songs. That dude could hit some friggin high notes.

BONFIRE - Hit song STARING EYES - they sound a bit like Scorpions. They are still putting out new CDs.

SAXON - They had a bunch of hits in the 80s. They are still going strong. I just got a new CD/DVD. I watched the DVD and DAMN that dude looks old, but he can still sing!!

CONTRABAND - True one hit - ALL THE WAY FROM MEMPHIS - nothing else.

WAPS - I loved BLIND IN TEXAS. Blackie is still recording new stuff.

PRETTY MAIDS - Future World - Great band that is still going strong.

LILLIAN AXE - True Believer - Had several good CDs, but I have not heard anything new lately.

VINNIE VINCENT INVATION - Boys Wanna Rock - This dude was so crazy he got kicked out of KISS.

WARRANT - Lots of great songs. Jani has a great voice - too bad the new CD has a new singer.

PLANET P PROJECT - Why Me? - Good song - not much else from them.

ASIA - Heat of the Moment - They were still putting out CDs in the 90s, but I have not heard anything lately.

MOTORHEAD - ACE of SPADES - Their bigest hit that I hated. They recrded several albums through the 90s that were pretty good. Not much lately that I know of.

YNWIE MALMSTEEN - Awsome guitar player with a bunch of good CDs. I have not kept up with him lately.

XYZ - Inside Out & What Keeps Me Loving You. They just had a new CD not too long ago.

URGENT - I Can't Take it No More - I looked for this CD for a long time and it cost me $65. They were most famous for having a track on the Iron Eagle soundtrack.

I may have repeated some that others have already mentioned.

Todd Wilson

Grim Reaper and Helloween!  Course they didnt have any top 40 hits I dont think.

Todd

1FastCharger

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 28, 2007, 08:17:42 PM
Grim Reaper and Helloween!  Course they didnt have any top 40 hits I dont think.

Todd

"She said suck it and see ...it was all new to me..." Grim Reaper......not a top 40 - just a funny song

There was a song I think called FLYING HIGH ....I can't remember the bands name.
"Flying high she's a real knockout..."

Maybe DOWN & DIRTY???

BMOTOXSTAR

SAVATAGE  "Hall of the mountain king......" :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Manfred318

Todd

Grim Reaper is awsome. They are some ugly dudes but Steve Grimmett can sing.
Yngwie Malmsteen released his "Unleash the Fury" album in 2005. I think thats like his 20th solo album(not to mention the albums with Alcatrazz and Steeler), and its realy good one. He also released another live DVD last year called "Far Beyond the Sun"-Live '85. I havent seen that one yet but I hear good things.
Yngwie Malmsteen-"Vivace" Live with the Japaneese Philharmonic '94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RNPryFZ-4

Quote from: 1FastCharger on November 28, 2007, 08:04:19 PM

MANOWAR - Had a hit with BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS. They had a lot of other good songs. That dude could hit some friggin high notes.

SAXON - They had a bunch of hits in the 80s. They are still going strong. I just got a new CD/DVD. I watched the DVD and DAMN that dude looks old, but he can still sing!!

:iagree:
Two more of my favorites. Saxons "Strong Arm of the Law" is one of the best NWOBHM albums ever. "Crusader" is right on up there too.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

nh_mopar_fan

Asia had a string of hits.

They were a great band but were never going to live up to their hype of being a supergroup.

They toured last summer. It was a great show.

2008 Tour dates: http://originalasia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=312&Itemid=33

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Manfred318 on November 28, 2007, 09:10:04 PM

Todd

Two more of my favorites. Saxons "Strong Arm of the Law" (not from the 80's but who cares?) is one of the best NWOBHM albums ever. "Crusader" is right on up there too.

Somewhere in my pile I have 2 Grim Reaper albums. I need to do some digging.

Todd

nh_mopar_fan

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Manfred318 on November 28, 2007, 09:10:04 PM

Todd

Yngwie Malmsteen released his "Unleash the Fury" album in 2005. I think thats like his 20th solo album(not to mention the albums with Alcatrazz and Steeler), and its realy good one. He also released another live DVD last year called "Far Beyond the Sun"-Live '85. I havent seen that one yet but I hear good things.
Yngwie Malmsteen-"Vivace" Live with the Japaneese Philharmonic '94

Two more of my favorites. Saxons "Strong Arm of the Law" (not from the 80's but who cares?) is one of the best NWOBHM albums ever. "Crusader" is right on up there too.

Manfred318 knows his Metal. :yesnod:
Saxon f-ing rip "Dalls 2 PM...." :METAL:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

1FastCharger

Manfred318 knows his Metal. :yesnod:
Saxon f-ing rip "Dalls 2 PM...." :METAL:

Ummm....it is Dallas 1 PM...... :nana:

SAXON is bad ass......Princess of the Night, 747, Denim & Leather, Terminal Velocity, Broken Heros, The thin Red Line......I couild go on and on

69bronzeT5

The only 2 that come to mind is:

Radar Love- Golden Earring
Born To Be Wild- Stephenwolf
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic