News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny and bellhousing question???

Started by dillon14, November 23, 2007, 09:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillon14

Now that I know my engine is a 1977 440, can anyone tell me what 833 transmission and bellhousing I will need to hook up to the engine?  Thanks

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

Troy

You want "correct" or what works? Assuming this is for your Daytona clone.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dillon14

1969 Boss 429

Ghoste

Any big block Chrysler bellhousing will work.  Transmission becomes slightly different as pretty much any one can be made to work but some will work better than others.  Do you have one lined up from somewhere?

John_Kunkel

The bellhousing must match the diameter of the flywheel and vice versa; the 440 used both a 143 tooth flywheel and a 130 tooth flywheel depending on the year.

Also the diameter of the front bearing retainer on the 833 changed with the year/engine so this also has to match the hole in the bellhousing.

Also, a '77 engine is most likely to have a cast crank which isn't drilled for an input shaft pilot bushing; a good issue to address before trying to mate all of the parts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pettybird

You'll need a B-body tailshaft on your transmission.  There are two styles of tails for cars--A and B/E.  A body transmissions are shorter and have only one shifter mounting pad.  B/E have two pads, and you'll use the one closest to the main case. 

Any big block bellhousing will work, especially since you'll almost certainly be using a 23 spline input shaft transmission.  18 Spline units came only behind 440's and Hemis, so they're much rarer and more expensive. 

Your biggest problem with the setup is your '77 motor.  MOST later ('73-up) 440's have a cast crank with an externally balanced harmonic balancer and torque converter, rather than the neutral balanced forged crank early motors.  Look at the back of the crank--there should be a hole around an inch in diameter.  If it's filled with weld, you'll have to drill that out, then get the flywheel of your choice balanced with the crank and harmonic balancer. 

dillon14

Quote from: pettybird on November 24, 2007, 01:32:15 AM
You'll need a B-body tailshaft on your transmission.  There are two styles of tails for cars--A and B/E.  A body transmissions are shorter and have only one shifter mounting pad.  B/E have two pads, and you'll use the one closest to the main case. 

Any big block bellhousing will work, especially since you'll almost certainly be using a 23 spline input shaft transmission.  18 Spline units came only behind 440's and Hemis, so they're much rarer and more expensive. 

Your biggest problem with the setup is your '77 motor.  MOST later ('73-up) 440's have a cast crank with an externally balanced harmonic balancer and torque converter, rather than the neutral balanced forged crank early motors.  Look at the back of the crank--there should be a hole around an inch in diameter.  If it's filled with weld, you'll have to drill that out, then get the flywheel of your choice balanced with the crank and harmonic balancer. 

WOW!!!!  This is going to be much more expensive than I thought. However, I've got to do it as I need to be able to go through the gears, even at 57 years old. Thanks

Quote from: Ghoste on November 24, 2007, 12:42:49 AM
Any big block Chrysler bellhousing will work.  Transmission becomes slightly different as pretty much any one can be made to work but some will work better than others.  Do you have one lined up from somewhere?

Haven't found one yet. Any out there you know of that will not break the bank?  Thanks

1969 Boss 429

Charger-Bodie

Dillon they are out there , just keep an eye out for the stuff. By the way dont sweat the cast crank flywheel the neutral balenced one can be drilled by a machine shop no problem ,just need the pattern from the mopar racing engines book.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy

A couple of points:
The B/E tailshaft housings only existed once the e-body came out in 1970. The earlier ones had a single mount but is identical in most other ways. It may be cheaper/easier to find a pre-1970 trans so you aren't competing with e-body cash. This also explains the "correct" question I asked earlier.

The tailshafts/housings are the same for 23 spline or 18 spline so the difference in power handling comes from the input shaft and gears in the main case.

Assuming non-OD, the 23 spline should handle the torque of a street motor without slicks. From the outside you can't tell the difference but the price is approximately 1/3rd. Most of the other parts (pedals, linkages, bell housings, shifters, etc.) are interchangeable so the price is the same either way.

To be more correct, your car would need the larger 11" bell housing and 143 tooth flywheel. These are heavy and may be more expensive - although the last time I checked the aluminum 10.5" bell was pretty expensive. The clutch and pressure plate for this setup is also heavier but the surface area isn't much greater. The smaller setup should allow the engine to rev faster but wouldn't be "correct" for your car.

Here's a list of all the conversion parts necessary to do the swap. Since I wrote that list reproduction console top plates have been released. If you have some cash it's much easier to call Brewer's or Passon and just order the whole shebang. Brewer's is probably cheaper. Last time I checked the prices it was about $3,500 from Passon for an 18 spline setup but neither includes the console setup if you need it. Figure in another $600-2,000 depending on how nice you want it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dillon14

1969 Boss 429

Chryco Psycho

Brewers Has the 130 tooth flywheel  belhousings brand new for $300 , with either input brg retainer diameter , most of the time the used ones arte at least that much & will have damaged holes in them