News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How about some honesty now. How much did DOH influence your driving habits

Started by bull, November 21, 2007, 01:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Daytona

None what so ever. Power sliding was a normal every day thing for me before the DOH ever went into production. I never wanted to watch it. I Thought it was stupid. I am a country boy from moonshine country. If we wanted some fun we would just fill an old ex trooper satellite trunk with oil.  When we get to court house square. We pull the string attached to the rubber stopper in the trunk and make a lap.  With one deputy on duty at any time we could clown for 30 min. before we had to get out of town. And then it was which one of a dozen cars would the Sheriff chase after.  We would meet back at the ponderosa. A pasture with a barn that the sheriff owned where he had drink machines filled with beer for $1 a can  There was a wrecker driver in town that would sneak up behind you at night with his lights off and get up against your bumper and when you go to slow down, you didn't!  The roads had nick names Curves had names like double branches the loop moony's Come down the hill through the loop moony's get the ebarke turn whell left to lock and count how many times you went around as you crossed the bridge. That as honest as I can be. I have a nextell cup driver to back up my story The DOH had no influence what so ever on my driving. The question is did my driving habits have anything to do with The DOH 
70 daytona clone, still building it<br />53-392 hemi stude chop top starlight cp<br />66 corvette cp My daily driver

sunroofsuperbird

Yes it affected me I was into GTOs at first. then the dukes came on and a guy here had a nice 68 Charger R/T so he painted it orange and set it in his front yard for sale for $400.00 so i bought it and painted the 01 and flag on it and had me a general lee to drive to high school. I had no Idea what it was worth or what it was R/T wise But it run great and I beat that car to death in a year so bad you could hardly tell what it was. and yes it did do a few 10 ft or better jumps a few times a week leaving school. the frame rail ended up braking out on pass side is why i junked it. but that is what got me into the mopars. I bought a nice 67 GT Dart and put the 440 auto out of the charger in it. and it was very fun also. Now that I look back I wish I hadn't beat that car to death as it would probably be worth alot now. 440 auto floor PW PB am 8 track it was loaded.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

BlueSS454

My driving style....no influence really.  My influence kinda depends on how bad the road rage sets in on a daily basis.  Normally I just go along minding my own business until I encouter some moron that completly lacks the ability to drive, which is becoming more and more often lately.
Although I will say, I've always been a fan of doing burnouts, donuts, drifting, and powerslides :D :D :D.  As for climbing through the window, that takes too much energy and you have to watch you don't catch yourself on the door lock knob.
Tom Rightler

sick dawg

It didn't , my driving was  bad enough back then.
In high school I couldn't afford a car and had an old H-D sportster ( insurance was like $60 a year) . Anyway my cousin knew  this gal that liked to ride on bikes, so on sat. night he would trade me my sporty for his '69 charger. It was real nice and I liked to drive it. So one sat. night I tried the window thing from the DOH.  Big mistake, the knob on the lock was missing and the threaded part under it tore my jeans and gave me 22 stitches on the back of my thigh and but.  I was sitting funny for a while after that one.  :slap:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BMOTOXSTAR

I jumped a set or RR Tracks when I was 16 in my 1st Charger (85' 2.2), feeling like I was a Duke. Man I went flying', landed kinda' hard though. :D :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Ghoste

Quote from: bull on November 21, 2007, 07:56:45 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 21, 2007, 05:32:51 AM
Honestly?  None at all.

Did you have a Charger when you were young and dumb?

Yes, actually and it was during the shows reign.  I did all the usual young and dumb driving stunts but it wasn't to emulate the Duke boys.

DukesofHoward

None. We were all doing that crazy stuff waaay before DOH came on. I got my license in '74 and learned my habits from the older guys. We didn't do too much jumping because we needed the cars for transportation.

I get a kick out of the kids today who think 'drifting' is something new. We used to have powerslide contests all the time. The muscle car guys would do it on the pavement while us 6-banger guys would head for the gravel roads. My first car was a '59 Ford Fairlane - a big, black, four-door, 6-banger that everybody called the Batmobile. It couldn't do squat on the pavement but get on gravel and the heavy ass-end of that thing could be hung out for quite some distance

The real exciting rides were road races down Hwy 87 to Boonevile. 23 miles of hills and curves. As far as I know a 318, '73 Challenger still holds the unofficial record of 28 minutes. You really didn't want to be riding with Chuck when he got an urge to make that run. By some amazing chance, he's still alive today!

BMOTOXSTAR

No matter what, smoking the tires was the best over anything. :smoke: :smoke:
Back when I was in high school it did not matter how the car looked as long as it could smoke the tires.  :rofl:
Most of the kids had old muscle cars, most in primer, headers and air shocks. That was the standard.  :D
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Khyron

It influenced my love of Chargers, But I try not to drive the car that way....

Thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

OldGuy

DOH was way after my time.

Now if you want to talk about real influence - how about Bullit.  I saw Bullit when it was first released on the "Big" screen back in 1968.  The scenes going down the streets of San Fran was like riding a roller coaster.  Bullit had a big influence on my buying my first 1968 Charger R/T before the 1969's came out.

IMO - DOH was an after thought.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

TripleBlackGator

Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

8WHEELER

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on November 24, 2007, 03:35:47 AM
None whatsoever. Stupid show.

:iagree:   I had one Red 68 Charger and one Red 69 Charger when the show came out. All my
friends at school laughed at me about how all the Chargers were getting smashed, So nothing
on that show effected how I drove, never entered my mind to go fast over a raised set
of railroad tracks by my house, but a ''friend'' of mine that was not real close, always bragged
a bought hitting those track at 70 mph and seeing sparks coming out the back of the car on the landing  :rotz: :rotz:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

sdcharger

I think the show really did spark my love for mopars too. About 10 years ago I jumped my firebird, although it wasn't really on purpose...and for a split second in the air the DOH did cross my mind.

Ghoste

Maybe an equally valid question would be, how much of the DOH drving stunts were influenced by the real life exploits of typical Charger drivers?  :rofl:

TK73

Quote from: bordin34 on November 21, 2007, 01:02:50 PM
Don't try to hoodslide an SE hood, they have an emblem.  :brickwall:

I too am considering a vasectomy...  how long was the recovery time?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Sabre

When I was a kid growing up in the 1980's I used to have a General Lee Big Wheel.  I'd race down the sidewalk as fast as I could peddle, then pull the handbrake and turn the front wheel making 180 degree turns. 

As for driving a car Dukes style, yes.  I did do a 180 degree trun in a 1979 Chevy Malibu wagon.  Of course I was 16 at the time and it was my first time with a V-8 powered car.  It was a rainy slick day and I was making a left hand turn on a back road.  I pressed down on the accelerator a bit too hard and RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....a perfect 180 degree turn.....by accident. :icon_smile_big:

Fast forward to around the year 2000.  My friend and I were down at the beach it's about 11:30 p.m.  He had a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am and once we parked and got out of the car...whoops he locked himself out of the car.  There the keys were still in the ignition and he didn't have a spare set on him.  We walked down to a beach front hotel and asked to use their phone.  We called his parents and they weren't home, we then called a locksmith and they couldn't come out to help.  We even called the local PD and they told us they can't help.

So we asked the desk clerk for a hammer, went back to the car and my friend began hitting the window. My friend kept hitting the window with the hammer and it wouldn't break.  The sound of the hammer hitting in the window mimicked the sound of a gun shot from a pistol.  I saw people who were far away enough not see what was going walking quickly away.  I assume they thought shots were fired.

Finally the window smashes and my friend stands there for a second and goes back to the hotel to return the hammer.  He tells me to stay with the car and I do.  A good 15 minutes goes by and he's still not back, suddenly he walks rather briskly with his hand wrapped in a white towel covered in blood.  He tells me he needs me to drive him to the hospital ASAP.  I saw the bloody towel his hand was wrapped in and I thought he sliced open an arterie.  So I get into his car turn on the emergency lights and gun it.  I race out of the beach town going well over the speed limit.  At one point I had to pass cars by driving on the shoulder.  We leave the beach town and now were on the open road, (thankfully there are no cops) and thankfully most of the lights are green.  We're doing about 100mph and suddenly there is an intersection ahead, the light is red and all the lanes are blocked with cars.  I slam on the brakes and slide in between a car and the curb missing both.  I make sure the coast is clear and hit the gas again.  After running a coulple of red lights (thankfully traffic was amazingly low) we reach the hospital.

Turns out he injured his index finger, sliced it open down to the bone, but it wasn't life threating as I had thought.  I can remember on the way to the hospital my friend was amazed at my driving.  Sliding in between a car and a curb missing both, driving on the shoulder at 100 mph missing cars etc.  At the time I joked that maybe I watch too much Dukes of Hazzard.  There was no reason to drive like I did.  I feel like such an ass looking back on that night.  I could have killed someone or my friend and myself.  If I had known it was just his finger I would have driven to the hospital at the speed limit.  Yet he was in serious pain and I saw quite a bit of blood so I thought differently.

The70RT

NONE. I was driving mine then too. I did hit a big dip in the road once and left the road for a few feet.  As I was tearing the car down last winter two of my bottom leafs on the right side were broke in half.  I didn't know it till they hit the floor after I removed the U bolts. Maybe a contributing factor.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BB1

As you know I had a 69 Charger in high school in the early 80ds. I watch the DOH every week, but still never drove like Bo or Luke.
Delete my profile

BROCK

We played Starsky & Hutch in a 74 Charger SE 440 back in 77.   :angel:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

73chgrSE