News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 383 HP 4-barrel with 4-speed numbers matching...UPDATE (not good)!

Started by Dans 68, November 06, 2007, 04:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Quote from: bull on November 12, 2007, 08:50:07 PM
For $12k I would at least want one that's had the body work done on it and/or has no rust issues. If all you have to do is paint, rebuild the engine and reassemble you're way ahead of the game.

Exactly. It is a numbers matching 383 4-barrel 4-speed, but still too much work.  :o

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

The70RT

:iagree: That is way out of order for 12. Remember a couple weeks ago Telvis sold his....yeah it was almost done and was gonna start it out on eBay for 17 and someone on here snatched it up....yep it was a killer car. Those are your pics you took/...If so he was sure a scammer if he didn't show the rust.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dans 68

Quote from: The70RT on November 12, 2007, 09:04:57 PM
:iagree: That is way out of order for 12. Remember a couple weeks ago Telvis sold his....yeah it was almost done and was gonna start it out on eBay for 17 and someone on here snatched it up....yep it was a killer car. Those are your pics you took/...If so he was sure a scammer if he didn't show the rust.

Truth be told I was #1 in line for Telvis' car if the other buyer backed out. Story of my year... :'(  :icon_smile_big:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

The70RT

Quote from: 73SEDan400 on November 12, 2007, 09:09:49 PM
Quote from: The70RT on November 12, 2007, 09:04:57 PM

Truth be told I was #1 in line for Telvis' car if the other buyer backed out. Story of my year... :'(  :icon_smile_big:

Dan

Damn Dan.......... :brickwall: Maybe he should have had a D.C.com auction.......
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SeattleCharger

Sorry you didn't get the car you were hoping to get, but I am glad to hear that you got out of the deal, phew, 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

TruckDriver

Quote from: blackcharger on November 12, 2007, 08:37:25 PM
that looks more like a car from back east that was buried in road salt. how does a west coast car get that rusty? 
:iagree:

From looking at it, I'd almost be willing to bet it was a salt belt car that was taken west by someone who moved there at one time. :P

HALPG would scoop it up if they seen it :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

bmoparmofo

I had a 65 chrysler 300 that had freaky rust on it, it was from florida, but apparently by the ocean, hood front, c pillars were wasted the rest of the car was nice,used to the lower rust as I'm from Michigan,friggin salt water!Glad you didnt lose your wallet on that one,cheaper its worth saving.12 k seems like a lot.Happy hunting!
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

terrible one

Yeah, definitely good to walk away from that one. I'm sure that it would have been hard after driving 9 hours up to go home with nothing, but it's still worth NOT buying it. I drove 7 hours away to get my Charger sight un-seen after seeing many pictures and talking to the seller on the phone, and lucked out. You'll get it!

68charger383

That sucks, but you were able to get away and that's all that counts. The search continues:

CA does not equal rust free. Anywhere 5-10 miles near the beach gets the salty sea air year round which will rust through a car faster then any New York salt spreader would. Cars up in Northern CA are prone for rusting also. Its the cars from inland/desert areas that are equal to the Arizona/New Mexico cars.

Here's a few to consider:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/476059303.html

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/car/450075354.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Dans 68

BMOTOXSTAR

That is why I would never buy a Mopar sight unseen, pic's can be very deceptive.  :flame:
Good thing you did not get stuck with that Charger. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

PocketThunder

How about the one Travis was selling?  Is it still available?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dans 68

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 13, 2007, 09:18:43 AM
How about the one Travis was selling?  Is it still available?

Nope. But thats o.k. I'm a bit gunshy right now to get back in the game. Give me another day.... :D

Dan

bull

Old Moparz

Try to look at the non-purchase of this car as something very positive. It's a learning experience that solidifies why EVERYONE should go look at, or have someone they can trust, go look at a car before buying it. Hopefully anyone else who had ever came close to hitting a buy it now, or place a bid on something will think twice after seeing this. There's no excuse or reason a car can't be inspected. If you can't inspect it, then you shouldn't be buying it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ryan053

You definently did the right thing.  Thats insane that he wanted to get 12k for that thing.  Now its going to sit in his driveway and rust away completely because he wont sell it for what its worth and no one will buy it for his price.  keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay and you will find one.  Where do you live?

Dans 68

Quote from: ryan053 on November 13, 2007, 12:20:06 PM
Where do you live?

About two hours south of you. I'll actually be up your way come Thanksgiving (relatives, of course...) I am looking for that one car....  ::)

Dan

ryan053

Mine came out of idaho.  Ill keep an eye out around here for any 4sp 68's for sale.  All i know of right now is a 68 coronet.  Send me a message if you want to meet up when your up here.

ca 69charger

Dan, Any luck getting a hold of that one owner of the 68' with the 209 area code. I'm in Isleton(about 30 mi. from Stockton) I'll be in Stockton thursday morning.

Larry

Dans 68

Quote from: ca 69charger on November 13, 2007, 07:22:01 PM
Dan, Any luck getting a hold of that one owner of the 68' with the 209 area code. I'm in Isleton(about 30 mi. from Stockton) I'll be in Stockton thursday morning.

Larry

Actually yes. Larry. Scott is the owners name, and it is a 383 2-bbl with a 2.76 rear, A/C, and a '69 grill (don't know why people do that! Although the grill does look decent....). Has minor rust on the floorboards. Please don't go out of your way (it is a original JJ1 gold color with gold interior  and white vinyl top :eek2:) but if you drive by give him a call. His number is 209-847-6326. Thanks for any effort!

Dan

ca 69charger

Yikes Dan, I just looked at the ad again. $13500 :rotz: Unless he's willing to come down on that price,i'd probably pass. Looks like you may be in for a minimum of $10G for paint/body. let alone what kind of shape the interior/motor is in.

Larry

Dans 68

Definitely too much. And wrong interior color also.  :eek2: :rotz:

A lot of the eBay listings look interesting. Fellow members, please peruse their inventory and let me know your thoughts. I "aint" pulling any triggers this week, but next week on who knows?  :shruggy:  :scratchchin: :popcrn:

Dan