News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can I do it myself????

Started by RECHRGD, October 24, 2007, 10:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Bob, make sure the balancer is at zero with #1 piston firing....the piston will be at the top of the bore. If the piston is at the bottom you are at bottom dead center and the chart won't work.

Also make sure you are adjusting the correct valves. Here's a chart with the valve layout so all you need to do id follow the Mopar diagram and follow the sequence while rotating the engine over. If the intake manifold is off the motor you can eyeball the lifters to make sure that they are on the cam's base circle/heel before setting lash.

Back of motor

(8)ex......ex(7)
(8)int......int(7)
(6)int......int(5)
(6)ex......ex(5)
(4)ex......ex(3)
(4)int......int(3)
(2)int......int(1)
(2)ex.......ex(1)

Front of motor

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Well, I feel stupid again :brickwall: :brickwall:, but maybe I'll just chock it up to inexperience.  I assumed that with #1 piston at the top and with both valves closed that I had to be on the compression stroke.  When rotating the crank another 360 degrees and keeping track of the valve movement it became apparent that both valves are closed with the piston at the top on the exhaust stroke also!  So it looks like I wasn't 180 degrees off, but 360.  So how do you check on an assembled engine for TDC compression stroke when the conditions appear to be the same for either compression or exhaust.  Check where the rotor is pointing, I guess?  This makes me question my timing set install again, but I don't want to take off the cover to check.  I guess as long as it degreed in correctly, I should be good to go.  Please say yes! :yesnod: :yesnod:
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

i check for tdc by pulling a plug, holding mu finger  over the hole and tuning the motor over until it starts building compresion then rotate the engine to zero moark on the balancer.    i also always verify my balancer is correctwhen i check tdc for degreeing the cam.    if your cam is degreed in properly and you adjusted the valves as per crane and comp instrustions  then all is right.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on May 11, 2008, 11:00:57 PM
i check for tdc by pulling a plug, holding mu finger over the hole and tuning the motor over until it starts building compresion then rotate the engine to zero moark on the balancer. i also always verify my balancer is correctwhen i check tdc for degreeing the cam. if your cam is degreed in properly and you adjusted the valves as per crane and comp instrustions then all is right.

Thanks Mike!!  I'll take that as a YES, I'm good to go. :2thumbs:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on May 11, 2008, 11:00:57 PM
i check for tdc by pulling a plug, holding mu finger  over the hole and tuning the motor over until it starts building compresion then rotate the engine to zero moark on the balancer.    i also always verify my balancer is correctwhen i check tdc for degreeing the cam.    if your cam is degreed in properly and you adjusted the valves as per crane and comp instrustions  then all is right.

Exactly !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

OK, I was able to get away from the contractors long enough to get the oil pump primed.  When installing the pump gear, does the slot go parallel to the camshaft (horizontal) or perpendicular to the cam (vertical).  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

it really doesnt matter how it goes as long as the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylenders plug wire terminal when its at about 15 degrees before tdc

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on May 15, 2008, 08:51:58 PM
it really doesn't matter how it goes as long as the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinders plug wire terminal when its at about 15 degrees before tdc

Thanks Mike---I called Brian at Shelly's today and asked him if he would like to do the start-up for me.  I played dumb and asked him what was involved.  He came up with all the same concerns that you and Ron, along with others on this board have addressed.  I feel very comfortable with him and will trailer the car to his shop when ready.  I just think it would be stupid of me to try and deal with the cooling, timing and lubrication issues during start-up on my own, considering my inexperience with this stuff.  Now I just have to find an affordable 12 volt winch to put on my trailer and yank the old girl up.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

i like brian,  he really seems to take care of his cusatomers at the track, from what ive seen your in good hands.   he is a chevy guy but hey, so is my machinest.

firefighter3931

That sounds like a good plan Bob....it allways helps to have an extra set of hands and eyes when doing the initial fireup and cam breakin.  :2thumbs:

Ron

RECHRGD

OK, I'm just about there!  Got all new belts and hoses, along with a nice new B&M tranny cooler.  I'll get the radiator installed and give Brian a call for a start-up date.  Oh yea, now I need to get a winch for the trailer.  One thing just leads to another, don't it. ;D :yesnod:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

are you going to have brian dyno the car right after he breaks the cam in?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on May 23, 2008, 04:41:35 PM

Now there's an excellent idea !  :2thumbs:

Ron

RECHRGD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 23, 2008, 11:36:36 PM
Quote from: Runner on May 23, 2008, 04:41:35 PM

Now there's an excellent idea ! :2thumbs:

Ron

I was going to put a few hundred miles one it before the dyno.  I guess there's no reason for that, being that only the top end of the engine is new.  I'll call Brian on Tuesday and set it up.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Start-up and dyno is set for 6/10/08.  Any guesses on RWHP?  I'm hoping for around 325-350.  Thanks again for all your expert help guys. :cheers:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Excellent Bob.....i'm betting it's closer to 350 than 325  ;)

Ron

Runner

well bob, its june 10th. im waiting for results!

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on June 10, 2008, 05:01:34 PM
well bob, its june 10th. im waiting for results!

OK, it's been a long day!  I've kind of been dreading going through this, thinking that I was under qualified to do this type of work with the minimal experience
I've got in my belt.  But, you guys came through for me and I've got a living, breathing, tire shredding Charger on my hands.  I started this morning by having to trailer the old girl through a June snow storm down to Brian's shop.  We pushed her into the shop and started to check things out.  All of my drive train set up was spot on and required no adjustments.  I actually got complemented on a job well done.  Brian's dyno is a "dynojet" unit which seems to run low numbers.  My old HP on his dyno was right around 265 RWHP.  That set-up netted me 104/5 mph trap speeds, with mid 13's ET's.  Without going into all the details, we ended up with new numbers of 325+.  So.we've gained about 65 RWHP on this  head/cam swap on a low compression build.  There was a guy hanging around that had a "66 Coronet.  His numbers on the same dyno were almost identical to mine, with a little less torque, he was turning 11.8's (4.10's and slicks).  BTW, the first pull was in second gear as they had done with the old combo, and they could not keep traction.  All the other pulls were done in third gear.  The converter was flashing at around 3300 rpm, but felt like a stock unit when putting her back on the trailer.  I am really jazzed and can't wait to get her on the road.  Maybe this weekend.  Thank you again guys!!!!!!!!!  There is no way that this would have happened without all of you're help.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Hot damn Bob.....that is fantastic news !  :cheers:

Congrats on a job well done   :2thumbs:

65rwhp with a low compression shortblock is no small feat  ;)

Geez.....snow in june !  :eek2:  :lol:

Ron

Ps. Looking forward to your first ride report  :icon_smile_big:

Runner

grats bob,  sounds like a long but fun day.    was the guy with the white coronet phil hudlow?

RECHRGD

Thanks guys!  Mike, I didn't get the name of the guy with the Coronet, but he did say that he had a fiberglass hood on it.  I did find it odd that the engine did not like a lot of timing.  The best numbers came it at 33 degrees total.  At 36 degrees it lost about 20hp and fell on its face.  I'll get the car into a storage unit in town today and hopefully get in some serious street time this weekend.  I'm still in the midst of remodel hell and probably will be all summer.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

wow, im surprised it didnt like more timing....  a looser converter can cause your dyno numbers to be off compared to the tighter converter so there might be another 15 or more hp that you picked up but couldnt see.... yet youll get it back at the track.  did you al least back it out onto the pavement and melt the tires?   hows brian doing anyway?      any info on the track?.   i have desided to skip woodburn this year since gas has gotten so high.  i had the money put aside but just cant bring myself to fork out 1000 dollars for 2 days of racing. and id cry if it got rained out  lol.   

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on June 11, 2008, 07:28:04 PM
wow, im surprised it didnt like more timing.... a looser converter can cause your dyno numbers to be off compared to the tighter converter so there might be another 15 or more hp that you picked up but couldnt see.... yet youll get it back at the track. did you al least back it out onto the pavement and melt the tires? hows brian doing anyway? any info on the track?. i have desided to skip woodburn this year since gas has gotten so high. i had the money put aside but just cant bring myself to fork out 1000 dollars for 2 days of racing. and id cry if it got rained out lol.

Mike, Brian is doing fine.  He really liked the way the car felt on the dyno and wanted to go for a "test drive".  I was running late and the roads were still a little wet so we didn't take it out.  I should get some time today for a little drive and I'll report back later.  Sorry your not going to Woodburn, but I get it with the crazy prices of fuel.  I was going to trailer the car back to Nebraska this summer and take the grandkids to some car shows.  I've decided against it, as the diesel would probably take 2K out of my pocket just to get there and back.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

if srp opens back up to something other than friday night races then ill try to come up and throw the pig down the strip. mabe would could try to make it at the same time. if i was to go out early, mabe we could get my slicks to fit on your car and you could have some real fun!  do you have left hand threads on the left side of your car?    are you planing on doing anything like the palouse show or hot august nights ( as in lewistons)?

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on June 12, 2008, 07:55:06 PM
if srp opens back up to something other than friday night races then ill try to come up and throw the pig down the strip. mabe would could try to make it at the same time. if i was to go out early, mabe we could get my slicks to fit on your car and you could have some real fun! do you have left hand threads on the left side of your car? are you planing on doing anything like the palouse show or hot august nights ( as in lewistons)?

There is still no schedule for SRP yet and the locals are getting restless.  I'd like to make it to the Palouse show this year.  I think the last time I saw you was for just a few minutes in Dayton about 3 or 4 years ago.  I took the car out for a couple of hours yesterday.  There is a vibration issue when accelerating, so I didn't really get too frisky with it yet.  I stopped off at Bekkering's t discuss the problem and found out that Virgil had unexpectedly passed away a few days ago.  I always liked him.  I've got an appointment next tuesday at a driveline shop to sort out the vibration problem.  I'll let you know when I hear anything positive about SRP.  Slicks on my car!?!?!  So you want me to start breaking engine mounts now, do you?  All right hand threads BTW.     Bob

13.53 @ 105.32