News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Year One Strikes Out Again

Started by lilwendal, October 23, 2007, 06:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

This was interesting.  Go to install the fan and radiator stuff today and notice the new fan I got from Year One didn't look right.  I dig my original out and low and behold all the fan blades are rivited on backwards!  So I check the picture in thier cataloge and web site and they show the same thing.  Blades on backwards.  I'm in aviation and understand the importance of airfoils and thier design and with the blades installed like they are with the notched area on the trailing edge defies all the normal principales.  I would suspect they have sold alot of these like this.   I would also suspect you would recieve higher than normal vibrations from a fan like this and could possibly see water pump bearing failures at a increase frequency.
If you've ordered one of these you might just want to check the blades.

Magnumcharger

And to make things worse, they've added an extra rivet in the middle...
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TripleBlackGator

I hope you called them and brought that to their attention. If you did, what kind of response did you get?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Musicman

It should make a nice pleasant fluttering sound once installed..  :slap:

RD

holy crap, what a big BOO BOO!!! keep us posted on their reply(s), this is realy interesting.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Drache

is it just me or does hte new one have 6 blades to the old 7?  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

dpm68

Quoteis it just me or does the new one have 6 blades to the old 7?
Silly Wabbit! Now you've gone and done it...

sixty8charger

i saw the blade count difference too... 
Jayson

Musicman

Actually, 6 blades would be more efficient... ever see a 7 bladed prop on an airplane?

bull

Rack

Quote from: Drache on October 23, 2007, 09:19:24 PM
is it just me or does hte new one have 6 blades to the old 7?  :shruggy:

I was just about to post that too.

Don't know if it makes a huge difference though.

lilwendal

Except for originality blade count has no effect on balance. There are 3 bladed aircraft props and 5 bladed ceiling fans.  Just as long as the assembly is balanced.  On efficiency each blade will provide a given amount of airflow at a given RPM.  The trade off is the amount of power sacrificed to rotate each blade.  More blades... more airflow... but requiring more power from your engine to move them.
My problem with these assemblies is the way these blades are installed you are not using the airfoil as intended.

bull

the number of blades may not effect air flow but it does effect originality.

1972Rallye

That's too funny... how could that happen?

Nobody has asked the super-obvious question though...  Your "old" fan is so nice, why are you replacing it?  Clean that thing up, paint it and reuse it.  :shruggy:

41husk

Quote from: 1972Rallye on October 24, 2007, 07:07:24 AM
That's too funny... how could that happen?

Nobody has asked the super-obvious question though...  Your "old" fan is so nice, why are you replacing it?  Clean that thing up, paint it and reuse it.  :shruggy:
I agree, but what ever you need to get your money back + shipping and your return shipping.  I bought some trim on here from a guy who sells parts as a buissness out of Florida, the pieces he sent me were crap and not as described, the one I needed was broke.  I called them, and was told first that they thought they told me it was broken :slap: Then If I sent it back they would refund the cost of the part :brickwall: after I would have payed shipping along with the shipping I had already paid, I would have had 50% of the cost for nothing.  I just kept it and will never buy anything from them again.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BrianShaughnessy

That's a universal 6 blade fan... notice it has 2 sets of mounting holes.   

I looked at yearone.com and they sell 2 sizes of flex a lite universal fans... 18" and 19".   I do not see a mopar branded and / or  reproduction fan being offered.

Yearone is very good at collecting up all the products for an application and putting them in a nice reference catalog.  While some people bitch about shipping or something else... you generally get the parts in a timely fashion and can get your money back in most cases too which is more than can be said if shoppping for lowest cost off some ebay sellers.   :Twocents:   

In this case you could have gotten the same thing at autozone.   If you require more originality get yours cleaned up and repaint it or shop elsewhere.   If I were you I'd just return the dumb thing if you're not happy.    Personally I run an Autozone Imperial 18" 6 blade fan on a Advance Auto Imperial jaguar clutch fan.   

QuoteFlex-A-Lite steel clutch fans have a universal pattern. These fans are an excellent upgrade for cars with direct-drive 4-blade fans. Please measure your fan before ordering
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

lilwendal

Brian,  Do you feel that is how flex-a-lite intended the blades to be?  In the catolge its listed for Mopar as PN  FA24  applications 65-74 B and E body.  Thats what I was going by when I ordered it.  Originality was never an issue with this particular vehicle.  One blade on the original fan had some damage so thats why I purchased the replacement. I've since worked the blade and will reuse my old one. 
I'm still just wondering if these are made off shore with no one ever questioning wether they were assembled correctly.
Oh, And  I have no problem with Year One so I guess the title was a little unfair.  They have always taken returns no questions asked.  But I have had a rash of 'errors'.  Last week I went to put the roof rail seals in and there was two rights and no left. Again it was prepackaged from their vendor but still frustrating non the less.  So now I'm having to use the old ones for the show next weekend till they can get me another set.