News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440/4-Speed Problem

Started by 440fan, October 18, 2007, 12:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

Sorry, but I have to ask.  Are you sure the engine isn't pinging?   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

440fan

No this is not pinging. Pretty sure it is the old mounts...

Steve P.

Do a search on motor mount tricks.  Firefighter posted a good trick to use a factory style mount with a twist.. The pass. side needs only to be replaced unless you do a bunch of racing in reverse... Hahaha...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

six-tee-nine

My feeling exactly..... Check your driver side motor mount...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

440fan

I think I will remove the driver side mount and see how it is. Maybe I'll try the trick and bolt it so that I can keep the stock mount.

Steve P.

440fan, If you have 40 year old mounts in there they NEED to be replaced.  If the rubber is beat it is beat. REPLACE them both using Firefighters trick on the drivers side.  You cannot go wrong doing this even if it is NOT the problem...   

While you are buying new motor mounts, get a new tranny mount. Again, it CAN'T hurt..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

What do you recommend for motor mounts and a tranny mount? I would preferr to stay away from a solid mount. Thanks.   

Steve P.

All you need is factory style replacement mounts. Buy them first, then remove the drivers side motor mount. Match it up and do the bolting trick. Install it and then replace the other motor mount and then the tranny mount..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on October 23, 2007, 07:12:58 PM
All you need is factory style replacement mounts. Buy them first, then remove the drivers side motor mount. Match it up and do the bolting trick. Install it and then replace the other motor mount and then the tranny mount..

As Steve said....a fresh pair of motor mounts with the bolt thru on the driver side is the way to go. Looks stock, no vibration and bulletproof. It only costs about $5.00 in hardware and a bit of time.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Just ask VegasMike how he likes it...  We tricked out and changed out Mike's motor mounts from solids. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY less vibration.. I was stunned... :o
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

a pair of factory style replacement mounts off of Ebay? Not really sure what to buy. Or do I buy Schumaker's? Thanks.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 440fan on October 24, 2007, 08:33:37 AM
a pair of factory style replacement mounts off of Ebay? Not really sure what to buy. Or do I buy Schumaker's? Thanks.

Mancini has an oem style mount....just mod the d/s unit as per the link above and you're good to go.  :icon_smile_big:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manbenreprub.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

440fan

I see that they also have MagMount heavy duty mounts. What do you think of those? They run a bolt through those mounts kind of like your trick idea, then I would not have to drill the mounts myself.

Steve P.

This has been a trick used for many years. If you want to use theirs and not have to do it yourself, go for it..  My mounts are different from yours and I don't know of anyone building mounts like this for mine. I used this trick only I had to chamfer for bugle head bolts as my mount sits flat on the "K" member mount. I put 3 bolts in mine..  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: 440fan on October 24, 2007, 12:39:05 PM
I see that they also have MagMount heavy duty mounts. What do you think of those? They run a bolt through those mounts kind of like your trick idea, then I would not have to drill the mounts myself.

If the mag mount is anything like the miti mount then i don't think too much of them. In the thread i linked to above several members commented on the miti mount and how they had failed. I do know that the way i do them works.....i've done several over the years for myself and friends with Zero failures.  :2thumbs:

To me, those mag mounts look very similar to the Scumacher "miti mounts" but i can't difinatively say they will hold up or not....having never used them.  :scratchchin:

Ron

Steve P.

I just took a look at the Magnum Mount on Mancini's site. I like the factory mount with bolts through it much better.  The mag mount still leaves room for the motor to torque over and the amount of rubber that is now gone due to the "T" locks just says to me that it will need replacement that much earlier.

The factory style mount with the trick is much better in my opinion. The motor will be cushioned much better at idle and not be allowed to torque over under pressure.

Due to you running a 4 speed you will release and hard torque many more times than an automatic.

I would buy a set of good mounts and do the trick. It isn't hard to do and you can say (I DID IT MYSELF)...

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

I ordered the Magnum mounts and may do the mod/trick to them. My car is all stock and I do not drive it hard very often and may only put 500 miles a year on it. I think the Magnum mounts should work well for how I drive.

Steve P.

Good luck drilling the magnum mounts. You will more than likely just break drill bits as the "T" and "C" will make it tough...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

I will try them as is. Like I said, I pretty much baby this car...

440fan

Whats the best way to change out the mounts(how to). I have never done this before so I am asking for everyones advice. I am pretty good with a wrench, just never replaced motor mounts before. Thanks.

Steve P.

Without a lift :

1) Raise the car and place it on jack stands. You will need enough room to get under the car and move your elbows.

2) Lay a 2 x 6 block on top of your floor jack and ever so slightly lift the motor from under your oil pan.

3) R&R 1 mount at a time.

4) remove the jack from under the motor and place it under the tranny again slightly lifting it up.

5) R&R tranny mount.

6) Raise car and remove the stands and then the jack...

7) drink beer.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

I am already getting excited to replace the mounts. That MGD light is going to taste GOOD!

Steve P.

Just make sure the last step is your LAST step...  :2thumbs: :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

440fan

You got it! Thanks for the help.

440fan

My mechanic put the car up on a lift and the tranny mount was cracked all the way through. The motor mounts looked in great condition, so the problem is the tranny mount. Mounts will go in this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help...