News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seattle, WA...

Started by 69Charger_440, October 15, 2007, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger_440

Is anyone from there?  What could you tell me about this city?  From what I have heard, it rains a lot, low humidity, summers aren't too bad, not too much snow during the winter, and is a beautiful part of the country.  Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this city?  Thanks!

Fernando

A383Wing

Lived here all my life...the rain part of your comment is blown out of proportion....otherwise, your comment about Seattle is pretty much correct. There have been a few winters where we do get our fair share of snow.....I remember 1 year we got over 13" ...shut the city down.

Bryan

TK73

Quote from: A383Wing on October 15, 2007, 10:24:50 PM

There have been a few winters where we do get our fair share of snow.....I remember 1 year we got over 13" ...shut the city down.

Bryan

4" last year shut us down...  hope we get absolutely hammered this year, want some time off...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

DukesofHoward

I've lived here for the last ten years and have no real complaints. Dallas, Texas actually has greater average annual rainfall than Seattle.

dads_69

Lived there for 8 years myself.Outer parts of Seattle. The wife and I and kids are moving back there in two years hopefully, if not sooner. Rain is over rated, Oregon is a rainy place I do know compared to Washington. I drove my cars year round also. Can't wait to get back.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

RTPTRON

It's pretty much as you and others describe here.  I moved here in 1996.  I have lived in 7 states and Western Washington is my favorite.  I did like Flagstaff, AZ a lot but that was in the 1970s.  I'm sure it has changed a lot since then.

TK73

Quote from: RTPTRON on October 15, 2007, 10:51:22 PM
It's pretty much as you and others describe here.  I moved here in 1996.  I have lived in 7 states and Western Washington is my favorite.  I did like Flagstaff, AZ a lot but that was in the 1970s.  I'm sure it has changed a lot since then.

Gotcha beat Ron; 8 states  :icon_smile_big:    This be the last one  :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: dads_69 on October 15, 2007, 10:46:10 PM
Lived there for 8 years myself.Outer parts of Seattle. The wife and I and kids are moving back there in two years hopefully, if not sooner. Rain is over rated, Oregon is a rainy place I do know compared to Washington. I drove my cars year round also. Can't wait to get back.
Mark

Portland gets less average annual rainfall than Seattle but they're close. It's not so much the rain as it being overcast most of the time during the winter. Overall the weather is pretty mild in the NW.

triple_green

There are a few Charger guys here. We also have the D-C.com meet in Kent every August   :2thumbs:
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

69Charger_440

Thanks for your input, fellas.  I am thinking about applying for a job up there, and I was talking to a guy that is from that area.  The way he described it, it sounds really beautiful.  I like it when it rains, and I love hearing the thunder/lightning (don't ask me why, I just do  :shruggy:).  Although I don't like it when it is super cold.  From the way you guys describe it, winters aren't too bad.  Lets just say I'm getting tired of the hot, humid Texas summers which start in late April/early May and last until early December.  Just one last question.  What is the cost of living like?  How much could one expect to pay for a 1,800+ sq ft home in a nice neighborhood?  Taxes?  Thanks again for the input.  Now I have to convince the wife that we need to move!  :D

P.S.  Is there a state income tax?

Thanks!!

Fernando

triple_green

House $350-$450 depending on the age in the southend of seattle. More on the East side and some north end properties.

No income tax. Sales tax of 9% on non-food items. My house with a RE tax value of $380 has $3200/year of RE taxes.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

69Charger_440

Quote from: triple_green on October 16, 2007, 01:35:04 PM
House $350-$450 depending on the age in the southend of seattle. More on the East side and some north end properties.

No income tax. Sales tax of 9% on non-food items. My house with a RE tax value of $380 has $3200/year of RE taxes.

3X

Yikes!!! $350-$450??   :eek2:  Thanks though!!

472 R/T SE

Yeah it's pretty spendy up there in the emerald city.  We're down here in the fourth largest WA city, Vancouver.

The rain is nothing like what you're used to.  Back there you get in one storm what it takes us a couple months to get.  Just think of a slow mist, just continuously.  I worked outside and after an occasional hot summer I would look forward to the rain. 
Not much for thunder & lightning either, maybe 3 or 4 times a year here.  I'm like you, there's nothing quite like a good thunder & lightning show.  But no tornadoes  ;).

bull

Quote from: 69Charger_440 on October 16, 2007, 03:21:40 PM

3X

Yikes!!! $350-$450??   :eek2:  Thanks though!!

I live in a fairly nice neighborhood (not run down, not high brow) near Portland and the homes are priced at between $220k-$290k. In the nice hood where my wife and I take walks about one mile from us I've seen them for sale up to $700k for a three-car garage deal that backs up to the lake. Right now it's a buyers market to some degree. Lots of houses that aren't moving but the prices are still pretty high so something has to give eventually.

We do have income tax in Oregon but no sales tax.

Red Ram

Yep and don't forget we have the Seahawks, Mariners and for the time being the Sonics...so don't come here if you're looking for a winning team.  :smilielol:
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

70charginglizard

Im a pure bred Washingtonian.
It's a great place to live as long as you can deal with the grey.
The rain that everyone say's we have so much of is usually blown way beyond what we actually get but the grey skies are usually a predominant feature to the region. If you can get beyond that it's a great place to live. Plenty of fun stuff to do. Seattle area is real expensive to live around. I'd look either north or south east or west of Seattle to keep your cost of living down.
70charginglizard

A383Wing

Quote from: TK73 on October 15, 2007, 10:32:44 PM

4" last year shut us down...  hope we get absolutely hammered this year, want some time off...

OK...yer fired!!!

Bryan  (there's yer time off)
   :smilielol:   :nana:

TK73

Quote from: A383Wing on October 16, 2007, 07:47:18 PM

OK...yer fired!!!

Bryan  (there's yer time off)
   :smilielol:   :nana:

Can't fire me, I work for Unemployment  :icon_smile_big:

TK73

3X

Median price in King County hit $400k about 2 months ago... 1800 sq ft would be above 400...

Hey Mark  :wave:

Silver R/T

been pretty good weather every time I've been there. Western WA does get more rain than East WA definitely and it costs more to live in western WA also.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

skip68

I've lived up there in McCleary, Shelton, Kent, ect....  I like a dryer (warmer) climate but have to say that Washington is the most beautiful state I've been to for woods.  :yesnod:  Very very beautiful areas.  :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bull

Quote from: skip68 on October 17, 2007, 07:01:32 AM
I've lived up there in McCleary, Shelton, Kent, ect....  I like a dryer (warmer) climate but have to say that Washington is the most beautiful state I've been to for woods.  :yesnod:  Very very beautiful areas.  :2thumbs:

Same here. I grew up in Eastern Oregon which IMO has a nearly perfect climate (at least the area where I lived) but there isn't much to choose from in the job market out there. And now that all the baby boomers have retired and are looking for their own little slice of paradise I couldn't afford to live there unless I made about $90k/yr. :rotz:

1970 Charger 500

VERY high suicide rate!!!  I'm thinking about it as I write this!
Don't move here, and tell everyone you know not to move here.
It's a HORRIBLE place!!!

:icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 1970 Charger 500 on October 17, 2007, 01:16:25 PM
It's a HORRIBLE place!!!

:haha: :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

8WHEELER

1970 Charger 500 link=topic=34968.msg382379#msg382379 date=1192644985]
It's a HORRIBLE place!!!

:iagree:  If you were here right now, you would see what happens for the next 6mo
:flush:  RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN  10MIN SUN BREAK  RAIN RAIN  THEN WIND.........

I have lived here all my life, so we get used to it..........  but moving here, its hard to get used to.

But it is one beautiful place to live  ''DARN IT''.........   :icon_smile_big:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.