News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Well, I spent most of the day working on removing my painted on stripe.  I had to lay down the new stripe template as best as I could.  Because of the position of the painted stripe I was limited to postions. On the driver side I'm almost a 1/4" off center on the marker lens position.  And I couldn't get the R/T as straight as I would like.  All in all the v'd correct tape will be much better than what was painted on.  Let's begin.

The first thing I did was remove the emblems and remove the wax, as I don't want to sand any wax on the car into the paint.
I needed to know where the stripe would lay compared to the painted stripe so I laid it on the car and centered it best I could.  I made sure the R/T cutout was as level as I could get it and centered in the crease of the rear 1/4.
When I had that figured out I laid electrical tape along the outside edges so I would know about where to sand or not sand.
Make sure you use that special blue tape that is less tacky so you don't run your paint.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

The next thing I needed to do was fill in the emblem holes.  I used the this light bondo filler then a glaze filler for the tiny pin hole areas.    You need to primer over that next and smooth it out.
Next would be to sand down the raised painted tape areas.  I used a rubber block and 600 grit wet paper. 
I came up with a neat trick.  If you lay down electrical tape on areas your worried about, the tape will show any raised areas with ease.  This is close to what the tape stripe will look like.  Like painting a car, it's all about paint prep.  :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

The next thing I need to do is spray single stage orange paint in the R/T cutout area and where the space next to the pin stripes are. Then lots of sanding to make the old orange paint and new paint smooth where they meet.  This will be hidden under each pin stripe.
The trunk is actually easier.  I will shoot the base coat color and blend it in.  Then I sand the entire trunk lid and shoot clear.  None of this would be possible if it wasn't for the base coat clear coat.  I'll leave the original Orange paint near the new tape V and deck lid end, but blend over the old sanded black stripe where the V pulls inward and clear the rest of the lid, bottom line is I hope shoot very little new orange paint and leave most of the deck lid the original color. 
I bought 2 new guns tonight and hope to get back to it this weekend.  Lots of hand work here, but it will be worth it in the long run.  I hope.  :icon_smile_big:

TUFCAT

Good planning!! So far....so good! 

I see you went with the V-stripe... Wouldn't be easier to use the straighter one from a Coronet R/T like we talked about? Seems like a lot of extra work, headaches, and painful paintwork for the V-stripe.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL ABOUT OVERSPRAY!!!  Remember.....it doesn't matter if you're only painting a little bit - - cover the ENTIRE car.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 05, 2009, 07:39:41 PM
Good planning!! So far....so good!  :2thumbs:

I see you went with the V-stripe... Wouldn't be easier to use the straighter one from a Coronet R/T like we talked about? Seems like a lot of extra work, headaches, and painful paintwork for the V-stripe.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL ABOUT OVERSPRAY!!!  Remember.....it doesn't matter if you're only painting a little bit - - cover the ENTIRE car.
I now know the car is base coat clear coat, so putting on the V stripe is actually easier than doing the sides.  All I have to do is blend in some orange base coat along the sanded black line areas and clear coat the whole thing.  Batta Bing!  :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

I have to admit.... just looking at the "silhouette of a factory stripe" on your car looks awesome.  :2thumbs:

lexxman

Rob,looking at your car is great,because it's how my car will look when done(but not an R/T).I can't wait to see the strip.And I know all about those gremlins. :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Great job so far Rob, I wouldn't have the balls to do that to my car if it were finished.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Thanks everyone, but it ain't over till it's over.  I really don't know until I lay down the stripe.  I expect flaws if you really look at it close from every angle, there are areas were the painted on pin stripe is sunken in and I can't sand it down because it's to close to the paint line.  Over all I think it will look so much better, than.....  A painted stripe,  Gloss, with emblems, straight across the trunk.  If it turns out to be a " 3 footer " I'll be happy.

charger_cody

Where you filled the emblem holes in look great.  :2thumbs:

Gonna be pretty.  :coolgleamA:

TUFCAT

I think this section should be titled TO "VEE" OR NOT TO "VEE"

Sorry Rob, but this has been bugging me all day.  I tried to "experiment" with this idea as if it was my car, and I think I know you well me enough that I can offer my two cents...  :Twocents:  I also debated on whether I should PM you this, or leave it on the board.

I realize how important it is to you to make the deckid stripe look "factory correct".  The sides are a different animal, you're doing EXACTLY what I would do there.

I hope you understand that I've taken into consideration what I would most likely do on my car. After a lot of consideration,  I realized I would't apply the Vee stripe on my own unless:

#1  I first tried a straight stipe kit for the decklid (from a 69 Coronet) as I tried to illustrate, very poorly I might add.
#2  Had the decklid professionaly blended and recleared (removing all evidence of painted stripes),  then apply the correct "V" stripe and be done.

If you paint the decklid yourself then install the stripe, you might decide it doesn't look right. Then more money is wasted. You'll end up paying someone to fix your mistake blend, reblend, reclear, and purchase another stripe kit.

Just my two cents  :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 06, 2009, 03:09:25 PM
I think this section should be titled TO "VEE" OR NOT TO "VEE"

Sorry Rob, but this has been bugging me all day.  I tried to "experiment" with this idea as if it was my car, and I think I know you well me enough that I can offer my two cents...  :Twocents:  I also debated on whether I should PM you this, or leave it on the board.

I realize how important it is to you to make the deck lid stripe look "factory correct".  The sides are a different animal, you're doing EXACTLY what I would do there.

I hope you understand that I've taken into consideration what I would most likely do on my car. After a lot of consideration,  I realized I wouldn't apply the Vee stripe on my own unless:

#1  I first tried a straight stripe kit for the decklid (from a 69 Coronet) as I tried to illustrate, very poorly I might add.
#2  Had the decklid professionally blended and re cleared (removing all evidence of painted stripes),  then apply the correct "V" stripe and be done.

If you paint the decklid yourself then install the stripe, you might decide it doesn't look right. Then more money is wasted. You'll end up paying someone to fix your mistake blend, re blend, re clear, and purchase another stripe kit.

Just my two cents  :Twocents:
I'm going with option 2, only I'm playing the roll of the professional.
"#2  Had the decklid professionaly blended and recleared (removing all evidence of painted stripes),  then apply the correct "V" stripe and be done."

Hmmmmmm.  I think you think I've never done this before?  I had my own repair shop for about 7 years.  I bought cars from the insurance auction which were totaled.  I would do all the body work and painting.  I repainted many many cars and used base coat clear coat many times.  I did the kind of work you would expect on the charger, I would blend the fender paint into the door midway and you would have a real problem seeing it.  I would never attempt this if I had no idea?  That's why I said I was excited but scared because it's been awhile but as you can see with the engine compartment and rear panel, I still have a steady arm and keen eye to lay down the good stuff.  I'm not worried about blending the orange and shooting the clear and there's no way I'm doing all this to end up with a straight Coronet stripe on my Dodge Charger. :rotz:  The only reason I was asking so many questions and looking for ideas is I had no idea the car was 2 stage?  I just never looked into it, but when I started sanding and white paste rolled down the side, I new this baby was mine.  As always thanks for your concern and advise, and I hope I write back soon how great it came out.  Funny thing is the deck lid is not my concern, it's the sides because as I said before I'm limited to what I can do because of where the painted stripe was laid.  Wish me luck.  :2thumbs:

Oh, and this ain't happening. 
"If you paint the decklid yourself then install the stripe, you might decide it doesn't look right. Then more money is wasted. You'll end up paying someone to fix your mistake blend, reblend, reclear, and purchase another stripe kit." 
 If there are any issues, I'll take care of it.  I don't care if I go through 5 tape kits, it's still hundreds cheaper and better then If I let someone else do it. ( Yes I'm tired of poor workmanshp elsewhere ).

One thng I learned while restoring this car is  IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF!  I'm fed up with all the crap I've been through, I got it from here.  :patriot:

1969chargerrtse

I have to get some more body shop advise but I plan on blending in this small area and leaving all the rest original.

1969chargerrtse

Here done, how's it look?  :shruggy:    :smilielol: :hah: :smilielol:  I crack me up.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 06, 2009, 05:38:55 PM

Hmmmmmm.  I think you think I've never done this before?  I had my own repair shop for about 7 years.  I bought cars from the insurance auction which were totaled.  I would do all the body work and painting.  I repainted many many cars and used base coat clear coat many times.  I did the kind of work you would expect on the charger, I would blend the fender paint into the door midway and you would have a real problem seeing it.  I would never attempt this if I had no idea?  That's why I said I was excited but scared because it's been awhile but as you can see with the engine compartment and rear panel, I still have a steady arm and keen eye to lay down the good stuff.  I'm not worried about blending the orange and shooting the clear and there's no way I'm doing all this to end up with a straight Coronet stripe on my Dodge Charger. :rotz:  The only reason I was asking so many questions and looking for ideas is I had no idea the car was 2 stage?  I just never looked into it, but when I started sanding and white paste rolled down the side, I new this baby was mine.  As always thanks for your concern and advise, and I hope I write back soon how great it came out.  Funny thing is the deck lid is not my concern, it's the sides because as I said before I'm limited to what I can do because of where the painted stripe was laid.  Wish me luck.  :2thumbs:

"If you paint the decklid yourself then install the stripe, you might decide it doesn't look right. Then more money is wasted. You'll end up paying someone to fix your mistake blend, reblend, reclear, and purchase another stripe kit." 
If there are any issues, I'll take care of it.  I don't care if I go through 5 tape kits, it's still hundreds cheaper and better then If I let someone else do it. ( Yes I'm tired of poor workmanshp elsewhere ).

One thng I learned while restoring this car is  IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF!  I'm fed up with all the crap I've been through, I got it from here.  :patriot:

Okay, I'm sold.  :cheers:  You can do it bro! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

That engine compartment turned out beautiful....so I figured you might "know a thing or two" about painting. :D

Anyway, I was thinking after writing my last post, I should've added I could never paint my own car because I'm way to fussy.  If you can do it (like many members here can) - you're a better man than me. :'(  I wouldn't make it through the primer stage. :icon_smile_wink:  My suggestions were based on this being my car, and using my own skill set.

I'm sending lots of good luck energy your way. :yesnod:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 06, 2009, 07:06:52 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 06, 2009, 05:38:55 PM

"If you paint the decklid yourself then install the stripe, you might decide it doesn't look right. Then more money is wasted. You'll end up paying someone to fix your mistake blend, re blend, re clear, and purchase another stripe kit." 
If there are any issues, I'll take care of it.  I don't care if I go through 5 tape kits, it's still hundreds cheaper and better then If I let someone else do it. ( Yes I'm tired of poor workmanship elsewhere ).

One thing I learned while restoring this car is IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF!  I'm fed up with all the crap I've been through, I got it from here.  :patriot:

Okay, I'm sold.  :cheers:  You can do it bro! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

That engine compartment turned out beautiful....so I figured you might "know a thing or two" about painting. :D

Anyway, I was thinking after writing my last post, I should've added I could never paint my own car because I'm way to fussy.  If you can do it (like many members here can) - you're a better man than me. :'(  I wouldn't make it through the primer stage. :icon_smile_wink:  My suggestions were based on this being my car, and using my own skill set.

I'm sending lots of good luck energy your way. :yesnod:

I'm not sure why I'm not worried about it?  I'm just not.  I used to air brush models also.  I would paint emblems on the models in such detail you would need a magnifying glass to see it.  I'm not looking for perfection, I always stated this car is a real nice driver.  There are guys here that are solid pros at this stuff.  Me, I can lay nice even coats and I hope it looks real good, if not I'll sand and try try again, but it will be real nice when done.  I'm so excited about doing this myself.  Like the engine compartment and interior and rear panel, it'll have my love signature.  Thanks for your blessing.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Thinking about doing some painting of your own on your car?  Here's a great site for some information and video clips.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2328012_scuff-old-clear-coat-apply.html

1969chargerrtse

Well, good news bad news, mostly good news.   The paint  laid out real nice and looks like a great blend, I left the original paint on both ends.  The issue is it looks like I need to do some more sanding in some areas.  I'm in no rush and would like to do it the best I can so I'm going to sand some more then bring it to my brother in laws paint booth and hang it in a dust free environment and shoot it again and then lay down the clear.  The pictures aren't the best but you can see where I didn't sand down enough.  Hope to have it done and the V'd stripe by next weekend.  :2thumbs: 

1969chargerrtse

I came home from work today and wet sanded the deck lid again.  I got that sucker super smooth.  There should be no trace of the stripe under the tape when it's done.  I did notice the new orange is a tad brighter than the old orange so I have to do a real nice blend in to reduce the chance of seeing the blended paint when it's done.  Either way the V'd stripe is going to look awesome compared to the old painted incorrect size gloss stripe.  I hope to get a good shoot with little to no dust so I can just bolt it back on.  My car was never wet sanded, there are flaws here and there, the last thing I want is to be forced  because of dust to wet sand the clear and buff it out.  It'll stand out to much,  my car was cleared and that was that, and so be it with the trunk.  Just looking for a good match nothing more.  I hope to paint it at my brother in laws place this week and add the stripe by the weekend and then work on the sides.

tan top

:scope:   .......  :2thumbs: could alwayxs hang the deck lid up , to clear it  :yesnod: , just make sure its firmly wired so it cant flap when painting ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on April 13, 2009, 07:21:41 PM
:scope:   .......  :2thumbs: could alwayxs hang the deck lid up , to clear it  :yesnod: , just make sure its firmly wired so it cant flap when painting ,
Thanks, that is exactly what we will be doing.  :2thumbs:  He runs a powder coating shop so we'll hang it in a booth.

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 13, 2009, 07:36:22 PM
Quote from: tan top on April 13, 2009, 07:21:41 PM
Thanks, that is exactly what we will be doing.  :2thumbs:  He runs a powder coating shop so we'll hang it in a booth.

cool ,  :coolgleamA:   i know it sounds daft but not only hang it from the top , but wire it up from the bottem . :yesnod:
  look forward to seeing it back on the Charger  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

So Thursday evening it is with my brother in law.  He mentioned a neat little trick he saw on a t.v show.  After shooting the base coat, mix 50/50 paint and clear for the first shot, and then clear after that.  Sounds like a neat idea.

1969chargerrtse

Well it's done.  I think it came out real nice. I think the color is blended well, but I won't know until it's out in the sun, looks great.  :shruggy:  We cooked it for 30 min at 140* in his powder coat oven and it's dry / cured,  so I bolted it on.  I do have to sand it down, there are pimples here and there as expected, and I know the stripe will show anything at all on the surface,  So I have to sand it 1,000  2,000 grit and then buff it out.  So far so good.  I plan on working on it over the weekend and starting on the sides next. 
If your wondering why I didn't cover all the black stripe it's because I want to keep as much original paint color on there as possible.  So If I covered the stripe on the lower section it would effect the original paint near the V'd center area.  O.K?  Good.  :icon_smile_big:

Update:  Went out this am before work to see it in the sun and I must say I am very happy with the blend.  Last 2 pictures are update pictures.

69*F5*SE