News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 13, 2008, 05:07:15 PM
Is that a manual six-way seat adjuster I see?
Yeah,  when I was a newbie I actually took a picture of it and made a thread asking, "what is this ?"  Ah the good ole naive days.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35320.msg387436.html#msg387436
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69_500

Just an observation here, but as far as the fader switch is concerned, they came on AM radio cars as well. Both the 69 SE sunroof car I had, and the 500 I have now both were AM cars with the rear speaker option. However to 99% of the people who will see the car at shows, most won't care what radio is in the car. Just what is under the hood, and what kind of car it is.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on December 13, 2008, 08:43:29 PM
Just an observation here, but as far as the fader switch is concerned, they came on AM radio cars as well. Both the 69 SE sunroof car I had, and the 500 I have now both were AM cars with the rear speaker option. However to 99% of the people who will see the car at shows, most won't care what radio is in the car. Just what is under the hood, and what kind of car it is.
Yes I've been told Am also could of had the fader switch.  Here's a CA car, RT/SE ,A/C, PW,Power front disk, PS, Full tint glass,and the radio is a dead am radio when I get it and the face plate has junk yard paint on the back that says "68 Charger".  The wood is a total mismatch to the right and left and there is a fader switch below the dash.  Something here tells me if I was to find a fender tag or build sheet, AM/FM would be there ( yet no tach? ). :Twocents:  I agree about the car as a whole and slapped in a working el cheapo am radio for 40.00. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Remember what was discussed in the other thread you posted about the fader switch location....

PS---now you've done it... :slap:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 14, 2008, 06:47:31 AM
Remember what was discussed in the other thread you posted about the fader switch location....

PS---now you've done it... :slap:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34645.msg377681.html#msg377681

Gee, haven't I heard this from you before??  Let me help you.  Oct 8 2007, the time...  7:51:36

"All I can say is "now you've done it"......you have gone & started what I lovingly refer to as the "Snowball effect"  The old "while I'm in there I might as well...."

bsakal

that video on you tube that you posted - does it have your new "stock" Hemi mufflers on it, or are they still the Hi-flow ones you originally bought. Sounds sweet!!! Oh, looks great too. I notice power windows, God I'm jealous.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bsakal on December 14, 2008, 12:10:54 PM
that video on you tube that you posted - does it have your new "stock" Hemi mufflers on it, or are they still the Hi-flow ones you originally bought. Sounds sweet!!! Oh, looks great too. I notice power windows, God I'm jealous.
Those are the high flow ( even though I say stock on the clip :icon_smile_big: )  I decided to keep them, but I must say they are to loud/hummimg for a daily driver... aka, trying to have a normal conversation in the car.  The humm zone is the issue, if you accelerate at all or are going over 45 they are super cool.  The power windows are a cool thing, but as mentioned earlier nothing really matters except just owning such a car and taking a cruise.  I love that it has PW but would love it without them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Rob, that must be because of your cam profile?   I absolutely love them on my car with NO drone whatsoever......  Maybe its the fact that I have a full 2.5" system as well?

Just be thankful you dont have the Flowbastards on there if you are concerned with having a conversation with yourself when you drive :nono:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 14, 2008, 07:46:29 PM
Rob, that must be because of your cam profile?   I absolutely love them on my car with NO drone whatsoever......  Maybe its the fact that I have a full 2.5" system as well?

Just be thankful you dont have the Flowbastards on there if you are concerned with having a conversation with yourself when you drive :nono:
Ah ha ha.  The only conversations I have with myself is me saying " Man this car is cool! "   :coolgleamA: 

:drive:

TUFCAT

I get this feeling whever I read Rob's progress threads ....this car will be "PERFECT" when he's done!  :icon_smile_wink:  Your Charger's lucky with you as its owner!  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 14, 2008, 09:42:33 PM
I get this feeling whever I read Rob's progress threads ....this car will be "PERFECT" when he's done!  :icon_smile_wink:  Your Charger's lucky with you as its owner!  :2thumbs:
Thanks for the compliment. Did you say perfect?   Oh God, no way. Nice, real nice, maybe  even very nice. I'm big into the real nice driver thing. My personality could never handle the full frame off restoration thing. Bottom line is it's a real nice car, and like most 2nd Gen when you see it you go Wow!  But many things needed to be corrected or cleaned up. The dash and 40 year old windshield were next in line. I hated looking out that pitted glass and when the sun or lights came through it was hard to see period. The dash cluster was nice for 40 years old, but the radio panel was incorrect and the panel above the box was torn. I,m just looking to make the inside look as nice ( not perfect ) as the outside which is not perfect. I have no plans of parting with this car and if I still have it by next year my next big winter plans will be a 4 spd  Oh man, a 69 Charger RT SE 4spd car!  Hubba Hubba baby.  I've had many a serious Mopar guy look at my car at shows and cruise's and what I get from them is " This is a really nice car man ".  And that's all I,m looking for , and truely appreciate hearing from them.   I guess like with most things it's all about money. Had I not paid 30k from the start, I probably would do more to make it perfect. Unfortunatly I have to have limits. One thing I would love to do is find a way to remove the painted on straight stripe and put on the correct decal stripe, but I don't know how anyone could blend in the paint and I can't risk that. So it may never be perfect. Oh well, just proud to have what I have. 

ChargerSG

My 69 RT/SE dont have a wood anywhere on dash and consol(just bad black ones) i think yours look great cant wait to get hold of the right stuff(without get ruined). Keep up the good work. :2thumbs:
By the way mine is a 69 RT/SE 4speed Track pack Charger, but sadly stripped on allot of parts(like all SE and track pack parts :'().

Just love those 1969 RT/SE :icon_smile_big:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Finn

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 15, 2008, 10:01:18 AM
[ One thing I would love to do is find a way to remove the painted on straight stripe and put on the correct decal stripe, but I don't know how anyone could blend in the paint and I can't risk that. So it may never be perfect. Oh well, just proud to have what I have. 

The painted stripe looks good imo, but if it bugs you could just put the decal right over the painted one. :Twocents:
Love the car, keep up the good work!  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Finn on December 18, 2008, 01:32:32 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 15, 2008, 10:01:18 AM
[ One thing I would love to do is find a way to remove the painted on straight stripe and put on the correct decal stripe, but I don't know how anyone could blend in the paint and I can't risk that. So it may never be perfect. Oh well, just proud to have what I have. 

The painted stripe looks good imo, but if it bugs you could just put the decal right over the painted one. :Twocents:
Love the car, keep up the good work!  :cheers:
Thanks, but.......   The stripe is straight whereas the correct tape stripe follows the trunk curve. 

TUFCAT

Rob, couldn't you just have the decklid repainted - or no? I hear there's new technology to tint existing paint codes - a spectrograph or something...... (paint guys, help me out if I'm wrong here).

Depending on the alignment of the painted stripe on the quarter panel of course, which is the critical issue, a repro decklid stripe could match. This is unless the quarter stripes are so off kilter that it doesn't matter. If that's the case, keep it alone.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 18, 2008, 11:21:50 PM
Rob, couldn't you just have the decklid repainted - or no? I hear there's new technology to tint existing paint codes - a spectrograph or something...... (paint guys, help me out if I'm wrong here).

Depending on the alignment of the painted stripe on the quarter panel of course, which is the critical issue, a repro decklid stripe could match. This is unless the quarter stripes are so off kilter that it doesn't matter. If that's the case, keep it alone.

My thing is I'm a big paint nut, I can easily find repaints or shade differences and It's not something I want to see on my car.  It all needs to be 100% the same shade for me.  The stripe is painted on and cleared over. Most people have no clue it's technically incorrect.  Few people know about the V88 emblem thing, so it's not a biggie.  I would like it to be correct though, but I still sleep nights the way it is.  It's probably not the correct exact width and I know the outer thin stripes are a hair thinner.  The only thing I could think is a repaint of the whole rear and blend in.  If I could be guaranteed you couldn't tell the difference I would do it, but who's gonna guarantee that?  I need to find someone who would say If I can't blend it, I'll paint the whole car for free.  Now that would be nice. :icon_smile_big:

hemi-hampton

I could blend it but might have to do both 1/4's & roof to get it right. That Spectramaster or Camera as we call it here in Detroit body shops is some times right on & sometimes way off, Like playing Russian roulette, you never know what your going to get until you pull the trigger. Best to do a spray out first (on spray out card) to be sure of match. Even if color matches & you sometimes have to worry about a clear blend line if the entire panel is not painted. Usually this can be rubbed off to look invisible but after awhile of drying it will sometimes leave a foggy white line or shore line some call it. rerubbing will reduce this. LEON.

1969chargerrtse

I was asked today what windshield I'm using?  With all the research I did asking pro restorers I was told " Piklington glass " was the best glass to use.  PPG is thinner and can cause leaks.  You can ask most suppliers and installers and they should have no problem getting it. 

1969chargerrtse

Well, due to the crappy weather up here and an empty house ( that never happens, the empty house part. ) I've been busy again.   I decided that I'm going to keep the car an automatic car after all.  I have to much in the thing as it is, and everytime I tell people I'm thinking about converting it to a 4spd car, they say why, I like automatics better.  :eek2:  So with that in mind knowing the whole dash is apart for a winter restoration, why not pull out the rugs and do them?  The headliner, seats, and panels are done.  The windshield and dash are being done.  After this it's pretty much done outside and in except those little things that need to be redone like the back up lamps, shifter kick down linkage etc...  I learned 2 things today. 1) it sure is a Y2 yellow car, and 2)  still no paper work. :'(

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 18, 2009, 03:21:47 PM
Nice floors Rob! I wish mine looked that good :rotz:
Thanks, not 100% perfect, but after 40 years close enough.  I don't know how you do it up there?  I hate this winter and most winters.  I just told my 12 and 14 year olds if they let us move to Arizona or North Carolina they can get a cat or dog.  The son bit, but not looking good with the cheerleading daughter. :P

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 18, 2009, 03:26:36 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 18, 2009, 03:21:47 PM
Nice floors Rob! I wish mine looked that good :rotz:
Thanks, not 100% perfect, but after 40 years close enough.  I don't know how you do it up there?  I hate this winter and most winters.  I just told my 12 and 14 year olds if they let us move to Arizona or North Carolina they can get a cat or dog.  The son bit, but not looking good with the cheerleading daughter. :P

:smilielol: I'm starting to get cabin fever...I can't stand the snow anymore and I'm the kind that sits there going "IT'S SNOWING!!". I want summer :'(
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

500hp_440

that blows, about your engine blowing, but it wont be too hard to find a new block :2thumbs:
Let it alone^.