News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Guitar players...I have a question

Started by 69bronzeT5, October 14, 2007, 02:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I just finished watching Bon Jovi's "Crush" Tour on DVD. And now Im really wanting a Fender Strat. The one Richie was playing was beautiful and it seems like it had a sweet sound. It was basically this one (the sunburst one that you see when you open the page). Does anybody have one of these and what do you think of it? :cheers:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ponch ®

Dude, Bon Jovi? I could dig your Randy Rhoads obsession...but Bon Jovi? As O_C would say...I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your Man Card and pick up your rainbow sticker.

If you want to switch to a Strat, at least say that it's because you saw some old Clapton or SRV footage...

Speaking of R.R...check these guys out. I saw them last week at a local club...the guitar player is eerily good

www.myspace.com/rhoads4ever

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

69bronzeT5

Well no, I plan on keeping all my Jackson's. I just wanna add a strat to my collection. And R.R is still my favorite player

70charger_boy

Well, Bronzy you can never go wrong with a strat.  Afterall, it is the greatest guitar ever made.  The pic you posted looks like a Stevie Ray Vaughn model.  If you want a real good one go with a custom.  If you can't afford one, then I would recommend you go with a big apple strat or a Tex Mex.  I wouldn't touch a Squire

Ponch ®

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 15, 2007, 10:46:46 PM
   I wouldn't touch a Squire

I kinda have to half-disagree with that. I've had/played Squires that were total crap, and others that were friggin amazing. But I guess that's why a guitar is something that you try out and play with before you buy it. I'd say check out the Squires...if you don't find any that you like, then yeah, move up to something a little better.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

70charger_boy

I've had my Squire for 13 years and I also get a crackle in the toggle.  It drives me crazy and the sustain isn't there, like on a custom strat

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 15, 2007, 10:46:46 PM
The pic you posted looks like a Stevie Ray Vaughn model.

Nope. That's a deluxe.

This is the SRV: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Stevie-Ray-Vaughan-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510053

I play a Strat copy by Peavey. It played really well until I switched to a heavier guage string. I just need to get it set up properly.
It was actually bought for my daughter but she never, ever played outside of lessons. So, I play it most of the time now. Her guitar teacher absolutely loved it.
It sounds great. It played fantasticly and I'm sure it will once I get it set up again..

Like what was mentioned about the Squires, it's not so much the brand as it is the individual guitar.

Brock Samson

i don't know how you can afford to restore a charger and buy guitars without a job...  :shruggy:
that's why I worked two jobs to afford my band and bring my R/T back... still took what seemed like forever...\
you still getting an allowance?..

70charger_boy

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 16, 2007, 01:44:54 PM
i don't know how you can afford to restore a charger and buy guitars without a job...  :shruggy:
that's why I worked two jobs to afford my band and bring my R/T back... still took what seemed like forever...\

:yesnod:  Back in my day, I had 4 paper routes.

69bronzeT5

I said I wanted a Strat...didnt say Im gonna get one right now :icon_smile_big:. All the money Im getting right now is going towards the Charger

Ponch ®

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 16, 2007, 04:23:53 PM

...and you had to walk in the snow in the middle of the hot summer, uphill both ways....

70charger_boy

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 16, 2007, 06:13:17 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 16, 2007, 04:23:53 PM

...and you had to walk in the snow in the middle of the hot summer, uphill both ways....

Yes, I had no choice.  I'm a minority

69bronzeT5

Ive had 3 paper routes in my life but I quit them after about 4-5 months (cuz I live in the middle of nowhere and they were all far away in town) but Im gonna phone tomorrow about an opening in the Lordco here (Lordco is basically the Canadian Version of.....I dont know, Pep Boys??)

1968 Charger B5

Just remember the guitar is only half the sound the amp he uses is the other half of the battle.  Fenders do have a unique sound to them, i would suggest going to a local store and trying some out to see what you like the best, everyone is different I know i myself prefer Jackson, which is owned by fender now anyway, lol.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

69bronzeT5

Brock Samson

How can you "prefer" a Jackson i'f you've never had a Fender,.. Or a Gibson, or a Rickenbacker or a PRS or a Fly or a Martin?..
  Fenders are very cool looking, they to me,  :Twocents: are like swiss army knives, they do alot of stuff pretty well, and are pretty comfortable, both in where the contures are and how they're weighted,... They have a Chunky rythem sound (as in steppenwolf's magic carpet ride) and are suited to having a trem. though the aftermarket Floyd Rose type is the real ticket (the german steel ones preferably). I also prefer the longer scale. But for pure lead cut through and funk rythem a Telecaster can't be beat. but again the bottom pickup on a stratocaster gets pretty close to a tele.
  Gibsons have a different quality of sound and a les paul is as different from a ES335 as a strat is from a tele. i'm not too fond of a SG's though i wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers...   they have a flat wide neck and come closer to a fender's balance and comfort.
they also come with trems. but trems are problematic for tuning issues no mater what guitar they are on, but today of course there are pedals that detune the pitch, and alot of other stuff too...
personally I HATE flying Vs cause they are weighted really poorly, but then again RR ain't even in my top 30 Guitar players.
So i'm not trying to emulate him.  :shruggy:
  I'm often reminded of Jimi's Equipment guy saying how Hendrix would go through all these wha wha/cry babys complaining "they all sounded like shit",.. then they guy would slip in the first wha Jimi tried again, And Jimi would say "That's the ONE!!"
  By the way Fenders have a higher action then Gibsons and also because of this Gibsons can get some really neat sounds easily from the right hand if your right handed up above the 12th fret. with little incidental hammers and such...
I didn't think i liked Gibsons till i finally bought a les Paul BTW.

70charger_boy

I love the fender telecasters.  i had the great oppurtunity 4 years ago to play John Cafferty's baby blue '59 tele and it just blew me away.

On a side note, if anyone is in Providence, Rhode Island on the 21st of October Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox and Buddy Guy will perform at the Providence Performing Arts Center.  They will play a bunch of Hendrix Tunes.  The group is called "Experience Hendrix"  Check to see if it will be in your area. This is a once in a lifetime experience.

BTW this was Jimi's set-up for most of his career.  I believe the tech guy that Brock was talking about was Jim Marshall
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/354/

bill440rt

I am admittedly not a big fan of Fender products. I just find Strats a little awkward for me to play (I've used them both live & in recording), & I just can't get used to that "twang." I had & played thru Fender amps, they're just suited to my musical tastes. Everyone's got their personal tastes, that's just mine.

I've had my '82 LP Custom since new, & also own a Custom Shop LP as well. A few PRS' also round out the mix. I like fat sounding, thick guitars that make your shoulder go numb halfway thru a set.  :D

I also own an Ernie Ball Axis Super Sport. These guitars, IMHO, are extremely underrated & often overlooked. The thing just screams, & plays like butter. It's got a standard trem, similar to a Strat (Floyd's just flat out SUCK, I'll never own another one), & a 5-way selector in case I need that single coil "twang." But, it's got a nice fat neck similar to a LP. It is my predominant "gigging" guitar, it's a very versitile instrument.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1968 Charger B5

Well you know what happens when you assume stupid....
I have owned lots of guitars.   I had a Gibson Explorer, the pickups from gibson are nice but too dry dont give great wet sound that i find emg has.  Also had a fender strat, which i myself was not happy with at aqll, i find their necks cumbersome and bulky.  I find Jackson and Ibanex have the best necks, they are thin and wide, with the xjumbo frets, again it comes down to personal preference.  Owned several other guitars as well, again personal prefernce.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

1968 Charger B5

Again the everyone has their own prefernce, the best way I found to find a gujitar right fo ryou is to go to a local guitar shop, preferably one with many kinds of guitars, and see what fits you best.  Of course if you prefer playing bon jovi material a fende rprobably would be best for you.  But dont let others tell you what is best, try them out for yourself.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

Ghoste

At the risk of speaking for someone else, I think Brock was taking a good natured jab at Cody.