News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger - I am about to cry

Started by Goodz, October 11, 2007, 02:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodz

So the car I bought was from ebay, but the auction didnt sell.  I bought the car after emailing the person.  They wanted $2600, i paid $2200.  They said the car was running and only needed some body work etc etc etc.  That's what I was told. 

First the bad...  They neglected to mention that it needs a whole new exhaust since the pipes have been cut off.  They also didnt mention all the brake lines were cut and needed to be redone.  The body needs the passenger rear behind the wheel sheetmetaled and maybe a little in front of the wheel on that side, but i knerw about that.  also needs new front 1/4 panels, but i sort of expected that too.  The gas tank was repaired with some type of goo (not bubble gum thank God!  I don't even know if the guages work.  Oh yeah, and the turn signal doesnt click when i try to signal, and its probably missing the wiring for that as well.  The trunk has no sides, so you can see straight through it from left to right.  I cant even figure out how to pop the hood.  I feel kinda retarded right now. 

The good news... My gf's brother does body restoration and custom paint jobs, so that shouldnt be too expensive.  The engine starts right up and runs really strong.  It has a stock carter 2 barrel.  Recently replaced by the seller was the rear shocks, universal joints, bushings (some not installed), new radator, new dash, new carpet, GT steering wheel, new glasspacks, 1 new brake caliper and brake line.  Also has 2 new trunk floorpan extensions (not installed), all glass is good, all other lights work, new head lights, tail light, R14 Crager Rims (which we are replacing anyway), and an accell super coil.  It also has a new headliner and dash was completely restored.  Looks good. 

So did I get ripped off or is this run of the mill stuff?  Also, if you know of any places that have good prices on Exhaust Systems, Brake lines, Turn signal assemblies and gas tanks, please let me know.  Thanks all.  I am scared and excited about all of this at the same time.  It feels so weird.  LOL
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

TeeWJay426

If you've spent anytime here, you know that 2200 bucks doesn't get you much. You didn't get any bargain, but I wouldn't say you got ripped off either. Sounds pretty typical of a starter project to me.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

blackcharger

I'd say you did OK. I take it you didn't see the car in person? This sounds like the typical, "if he doesn't ask, I'm not telling" I have heard total horror stories about buying sight unseen. Love to see some pics!
good luck

TruckDriver

Quote from: blackcharger on October 11, 2007, 02:25:46 PM
I'd say you did OK. I take it you didn't see the car in person? This sounds like the typical, "if he doesn't ask, I'm not telling" I have heard total horror stories about buying sight unseen. Love to see some pics!
good luck
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

NHCharger

If there's no serious frame rot I think you got a decent deal and a solid starting point.
But this thread is worthless with out pics.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

twilt

I`d say you did pretty decent. You cant expect much for $2200. The items that "surprised" you are relatively trivial. When I buy a 35 year old car,I fully expect to completely rebuild the front end, replace all the brake system components and lines, replace gas tank, as well as repair a few electrical gremlins.   

41husk

I bought my 73 site unseen and was real disapointed, I had 8k in it after shipping and couldnt sell it at Monster Mopar for 8k ( I diddn't even get an offer) I have put about 6k in it, (actually more went into making the air grabber functional than paint and body) and this year I showed it at Monster Mopar.  It would take 20k now for me to even consider selling and I actually drive it more than the 68.  Just last week it won it's 3rd car show and has been managers choice at two cruizes.  What you make of your purchase is up to you!  I am sure the guy who sold it to me, thought he screwed me.  I wish he could see it now, he just might be thinking he got the short end of the deal :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Goodz

Thanks for the reassuring thoughts guys.  I am relatively new here.  I pretty much joined when I buckled down to buy the car in the first place.  I figured I would get some good advice from people who have done this before and meet some new friends at the same time.  LOL

Here are some pics.  I only took a few outside shots since I had to run to work.  Here they are...

http://imageevent.com/thegoodz/71charger  URL FIXED

As far as the underbody goes, I hardly saw any rust, so its not a total loss I guess.  So what do you guys think?
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Forza

Actually bud I'd say you did pretty good. It looks pretty straight & complete. Only cars I'd buy off of ebay are the ones in driving distance. I was in a simular situation a couple years ago and luckily I got my money back. The douche bag said he had a 68 in driving condition, listed phoney pics and when I went to see it, it looked more like a parts car with no motor.

Best of luck to you in the resto. We all love progress pics  :2thumbs:

2Gunz

Ghoste

If you had bought from the Hellpigs, you would have to add one more zero on that price and they would have deliberately misled you on the cars warts.  You did okay all considered. 

blackcharger

yeah, she needs some work,but you did OK.

Goodz

Thanks guys.  GF originally wanted to get rid of the car when I told her how much it needed, but she looked at it this past weekend and decided she wants to fix it up.  So now I am working on getting everything I need.  It needed new Rims and Tires.  I won a bid on eBay (local pickup only with cash on delivery) for $600 for Cragers w/ BF Goodrich Tires.  They look great in the pics.  I am picking them up tomorrow.  Here are the pics of the rims and tires, as well as pics of the car...

http://imageevent.com/thegoodz/71charger

anyone know what the drum size is for front and back brakes on this car?  no one at the stores seem to know.  it is a regular Charger.  i cant order new drums until i know the size.  :(

JR

The drums are easy, just pull one wheel of of each side, and the drum will slide right off. Measure from one end to another straight accross. Piece of cake. :cheers:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69charger2002

yep i also agree. $2200 was no rip off for that car. a running driving 66-74 mopar these days is almost always worth $2200, even in pretty bad shape. yours is very decent
just get to work!
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Brock Samson

sounds pretty typical for the price you paid.
sounds like your lookin up at a pretty steep learning curve though..
Glad your G/F came around, good luck.

68chrgrwife

Car looks good to me...like everyone else said....a running mopar these days goes for more than that....continue to check e-bay if you don't believe us.  You aren't going to find on in good condition/running for that cheap......Good luck with your restore!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

blackcharger

took a look at the pics. yeah, she's ruff, but not too ruff. looks like a good project. she'll look sweet with the new Cragars. wish I still had mine. and don't let the GF buffalo you, those women are a lot more work then our old mopars! keep the pics coming.
must be something with Michigan, I brought mine from Sterlng Hts in july.

dukeboy_318

take a picture of the drums and post it, theres a slight difference in the looks of it.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: blackcharger on October 16, 2007, 01:43:27 PM
took a look at the pics. yeah, she's ruff, but not too ruff. looks like a good project. she'll look sweet with the new Cragars. wish I still had mine. and don't let the GF buffalo you, those women are a lot more work then our old mopars! keep the pics coming.
must be something with Michigan, I brought mine from Sterlng Hts in july.

Not me..but then again I am a wife not a GF!!  I know we put a heck of a lot more into our charger than into me!!  LOL  Well, except for the one operation.....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

blackcharger

Not me..but then again I am a wife not a GF!!  I know we put a heck of a lot more into our charger than into me!!  LOL  Well, except for the one operation.....

well, I was speaking of my Wife actually. she has tacacarda (heart rate races sometimes, one ambulance trip on our first Christmas, many ER trips), triple heart by pass,and other not so serious things. but, like the basketcase road runner I drug home, she's well worth it. and most of you Girls understand our sickness with our mopars.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: blackcharger on October 16, 2007, 03:32:00 PM

well, I was speaking of my Wife actually. she has tacacarda (heart rate races sometimes, one ambulance trip on our first Christmas, many ER trips), triple heart by pass,and other not so serious things. but, like the basketcase road runner I drug home, she's well worth it. and most of you Girls understand our sickness with our mopars.

I am sorry to hear about the wifey's health..I know how that is...I have MS and have has multiple mini strokes so I understand completely......(although that was not the operation I was talking about...)....Good luck with everything!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Goodz

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 16, 2007, 09:40:25 PM

Quote(although that was not the operation I was talking about...)

Well, I would guess at it, but I'm still new here and dont want to offend your hubby if I am wrong.  The least incriminating way I can ask is... "Is your arm covering your surgery in your sig pic?"  :)

If so, my gf is getting that done early next year.  :)

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Goodz on October 17, 2007, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 16, 2007, 09:40:25 PM

Quote(although that was not the operation I was talking about...)

Well, I would guess at it, but I'm still new here and dont want to offend your hubby if I am wrong.  The least incriminating way I can ask is... "Is your arm covering your surgery in your sig pic?"  :)

If so, my gf is getting that done early next year.  :)

yup the surgery is being covered.  LOL   If she needs someone to talk to about the operation or recovery tell her to pm me.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER