News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(Contra Virus) Anyone have the cure??

Started by Steve P., October 04, 2007, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

I am having a problem with a FAKE virus called CONTRA VIRUS. I Googled it and found out this has been going around since 2005.  I expected to find a quick Anti-virus but instead have spent the better part of 6 hours trying to get rid of it.. I have downloaded 4 different anti-virus programs and nothing is working.. Does anyone have the fix for this?? If so please post it up. This is driving me nuts...... :eek2:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

71ChallengeHer

I'm sick but the doc gave me some antibiotics. :shruggy:

Steve P.

Sorry to hear your sick. :puke: Hope you feel better soon..  You just have to find someone to pass it on to.....

Running McAfee right now and it is not finding a damn thing.. :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charger_boy

71ChallengeHer

Thanks, Shelby gave it to me. Now I have to share. :D

Forza

Have you tried AVG yet? Thats the program I use, they seem to be able to get rid of anything.

last426

Steve P.

I did the SPY SWEEPER and after downloading it and it scanning for 1 hour and 4 minutes it wanted $30.00...

This damn FAKE virus was made so that the same assholes could SELL everyone infected with it the REMOVAL /fix for $30.00...  I don't think any of them should win.. Many hackers out there find and post fixes for this kind of crap for free.   

$30.00 is a set of gaskets!!!!    :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charger_boy

Charger74

Hey STeve,

Check out this site and give it a try:  http://www.spyware-removal-guideline.com/contravirus-removal .  It looks like the tool is free.  Hopefully you can understand it's instructions.   I figure the only other way to remove it is to (scary thought) go through the registry and manually remove it. 

If this doesnt work, then do a google search on it and there are a lot of ways to remove, some free, some cost....   Good luck

*Edit*  Hey I found this site that has a another removal tool but also list everything contra installs and registers.   Also what registry keys it installs:  http://www.contra-virus-removal.com.removal-instructions.com/removeContra_Virus.html

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Steve P.

OK, here's the skinny.  I started out with GOOGLing the so called virus. I found very many pages of SO CALLED (FREE) removal links. For all of them I tried I could not find ONE that was free.. Many hours spent looking, downloading, searching, scanning and all of them want from $29.95 up to $60.00... 

What this (VIRUS) is truly is nothing more than an enormous pain in the aZZ.. This is some program that some son of a bitch made and found a way to make it attach itself to SOMETHING and it pops up often telling you your computer has a virus. Of course everyone is going to do a Google search to find out how to get rid of it and the first thing that pops up is a $30.00 fix. Well, this fix comes to you from the same son of a bitch that made it to begin with...

Yes, I want to get rid of it. NO, I don't want to pay for it. If I pay, HE WINS..............  :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_blackeye:

I am asking here as I know we have some very computer savvy people here and I figure someone else may have had this problem also. It has been around since 2005'....   

Quote from: Ponch ®

and for goodnes's sake....switch to another browser other than IE.
quote]

What do you suggest??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger74

Quote from: Steve P. on October 05, 2007, 01:31:55 PM
OK, here's the skinny.  I started out with GOOGLing the so called virus. I found very many pages of SO CALLED (FREE) removal links. For all of them I tried I could not find ONE that was free.. Many hours spent looking, downloading, searching, scanning and all of them want from $29.95 up to $60.00... 

What this (VIRUS) is truly is nothing more than an enormous pain in the aZZ.. This is some program that some son of a bitch made and found a way to make it attach itself to SOMETHING and it pops up often telling you your computer has a virus. Of course everyone is going to do a Google search to find out how to get rid of it and the first thing that pops up is a $30.00 fix. Well, this fix comes to you from the same son of a bitch that made it to begin with...

Yes, I want to get rid of it. NO, I don't want to pay for it. If I pay, HE WINS..............  :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_blackeye:

I am asking here as I know we have some very computer savvy people here and I figure someone else may have had this problem also. It has been around since 2005'....   

Quote from: Ponch ®

and for goodnes's sake....switch to another browser other than IE.
quote]

What do you suggest??

Steve, this one is free:  http://www.spyware-removal-guideline.com/contravirus-removal .  I checked it.  Also the other one I listed shows you exactly what files this pos uses, which dll's to un-register and what registry entries to delete.    If you're not comfortable doing this things, then I would try to removal tool I listed first. 

472 R/T SE

Just like radar and laser detectors, the same people who make them build the actual laser and radar device.

I know it's besides the point but I use the Firefox browser and the free AVG virus detector.  I pay for Spyware Doctor & Registry Mechanic.  The computer stays clean when my evil twin wants to surf "those" nasty sites.  :D

Steve P.

Ok, this may be retarded, but I do use Mozilla Firefox. I have been for a year or so. Only I double click on IE on my desk top and it opens Firefox when I go to any web sites. When I sign on to the CB I am going through firefox.. Is this the same? Should I do something to remove IE??

I can fix a car or a watch, but that is because I can SEE what the hell happens when (I DO THIS).. I have no idea what the hell is going on inside a computer...  When was the last time you pushed a few buttons to fix your refrigerator?? Or your A/C unit??  :shruggy:  I'm sure I could be schooled in computer geekism, but I just don't look at my computer the way I do my cars....   :shruggy:  Ya know what I mean??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger74

Quote from: Steve P. on October 05, 2007, 03:25:35 PM
Ok, this may be retarded, but I do use Mozilla Firefox. I have been for a year or so. Only I double click on IE on my desk top and it opens Firefox when I go to any web sites. When I sign on to the CB I am going through firefox.. Is this the same? Should I do something to remove IE??

I can fix a car or a watch, but that is because I can SEE what the hell happens when (I DO THIS).. I have no idea what the hell is going on inside a computer...  When was the last time you pushed a few buttons to fix your refrigerator?? Or your A/C unit??  :shruggy:  I'm sure I could be schooled in computer geekism, but I just don't look at my computer the way I do my cars....   :shruggy:  Ya know what I mean??

Yeah, I understand.  If you want to try to use the one I suggested above, I can tell you how to get into safe mode to run the cleaner.  It's really simple...

70charger_boy

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charger_boy

Quote from: Steve P. on October 05, 2007, 04:40:56 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 05, 2007, 03:33:14 PM
This virus lives in Cardomain

I was just there a few days ago...  :smash:

If you click on a cardomain link.  There will be a pop up that comes up.  It looks similar to a windows message.  If you click ok then you're screwed.  I subscribed to mcafee virus and it's gone now.  I think Mcafee does a free sweep, too

Troy

Some of the newer "drive by" installers do work in Firefox so it isn't bulletproof either. You need scripting and/or Java enabled for any of these installers to work though (and they're much simpler to turn off in Firefox if you think you'll be surfing an "untrustworthy" site). The new IE (version 7) isn't too bad but I'm so used to Firefox now that it's difficult to switch back. My sister had a similar virus/adware and I was amazed at how many places it managed to wiggle into. It took probably 4-5 hours to clean it out and then she got it again a week later. I found a removal tool from somewhere and fixed it in a few minutes.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Steve P.

Quote from: Troy on October 05, 2007, 06:57:17 PM
Some of the newer "drive by" installers do work in Firefox so it isn't bulletproof either. You need scripting and/or Java enabled for any of these installers to work though (and they're much simpler to turn off in Firefox if you think you'll be surfing an "untrustworthy" site). The new IE (version 7) isn't too bad but I'm so used to Firefox now that it's difficult to switch back. My sister had a similar virus/adware and I was amazed at how many places it managed to wiggle into. It took probably 4-5 hours to clean it out and then she got it again a week later. I found a removal tool from somewhere and fixed it in a few minutes.

Troy

You didn't happen to hold onto that fix, did ya??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Silver R/T

You can get Ad Aware and Spybot Search and destroy for free. Run those both and then run Registry fix, I found it for free. And also using Mozilla Firefox as its less prone to virus attacks.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

70charger_boy

I just noticed when you use the Mozilla browser the animated smileys are faster :scratchchin: