News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I need a MSD unit with rev limiter?--update

Started by AKcharger, September 29, 2007, 11:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Summit has one for $160, thought it might be a good idea for my 470 stroker (since it's getting expensive) but on the other hand it's going to be mostly a street car...your opinions?

Thanks guys!

Rolling_Thunder

I tend to not run rev limiters on automatic cars...    not saying you couldn't use it, just that stick shift cars i think it is almost a necessity...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

I like having them on there, it's cheaper than bent stuff.

AKcharger

Does the MSD box simple take the place of the ECU or is it wired in series to the distributor?

jg68

Quote from: AKcharger on September 30, 2007, 07:58:16 AM
Does the MSD box simple take the place of the ECU or is it wired in series to the distributor?

Yeah its fairly simple & will work with the MP dist., just FOLLOW the instructions & don't get in a hurry, it never hurts to run a limiter, even with an auto, if your driveshaft lets go on the line :shruggy:, hello 8000+ rpm, not good on the bearings, so for the extra $$$$ get one with the limiter.

Steve P.

Quote from: jg68 on September 30, 2007, 09:34:40 AM
Quote from: AKcharger on September 30, 2007, 07:58:16 AM

Yeah its fairly simple & will work with the MP dist., just FOLLOW the instructions & don't get in a hurry, it never hurts to run a limiter, even with an auto, if your driveshaft lets go on the line :shruggy:, hello 8000+ rpm, not good on the bearings, so for the extra $$$$ get one with the limiter.

:iagree:  Better to be safe than sorry..... 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Silver R/T

doesnt make sense on auto car because your trans will shift sooner before you overrev it, unless you stuck it into one gear and trying to overrev. I have mallory on my Charger w/o one. It's up to you if you want one go ahead.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Steve P.

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 30, 2007, 04:08:58 PM
doesnt make sense on auto car because your trans will shift sooner before you overrev it, unless you stuck it into one gear and trying to overrev. I have mallory on my Charger w/o one. It's up to you if you want one go ahead.

Silver,,, anything can go wrong when you least expect it.  Bust a U-joint. Strip a ring gear. Tranny lets go. Rip the center out of a Cragar. (That happened to me).. Any of these can sent your RPM's through the roof..

Also, not everyone just puts the stick in the "D" position. Matter of fact, most of us don't when racing. I have a forward MANUAL shift valve body in my 727 TF. If you don't have a lock-out shifter or a ratcheting shifter it is easy to get overzealous and shift right into neutral. Without the chip it is easy to send the RPM's higher than the motor is built for... 

Also had a return spring fly off in a Camero once. Of course I didn't know it until I removed my foot from the GO pedal and it kept right on climbing..  Had that happened along with breaking a U-joint that 355 would have met it's GOD... 

Yes, I think you should go with the chip.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Runner

id get one with a rev limiter espiecally on a street car. i dont have an issue at the track hitting the rev limiter becasue im on slicks and tend to hook up good but there have been the times when track prep was bad,  but on street tires i bang the rev limiter all the time it spins the tires hard  and your on the limiter beofre you know it.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

471_Magnum

Here's another "yes" vote.

I'll be putting one on the GTX. I'll probably hide it under the dash somewhere. I'm not about to risk zinging this new motor on a missed shift.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Charger-Bodie

msd 6al will make youre car run better and with the rev limiter you will have insurance angainst overrevving the gine i think its a no brainer i will never have one without it. so yes msd that thing!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

OttawaCharger

or if you want a black one, check out the Mopar Performance Ignition Box a MSD 6AL with Mopar's name on it.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Silver R/T

Mallory makes same units for the 3/4 price of a MSD. Ive picked mine up on ebay a while ago.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

supserdave

MSD will clean up the idle and help the throttle response. Dang good customer service to. We blew out a 6al on the race car, they took it back and exchanged it for a new one no questions asked. They said anything under 14 months and they will warranty it. Hard to find somebody that will guarantee a race part.

Did I mention the rev limiter is good to!

AKcharger

Thanks guys

Next question: Is the stock Electronic Distributor good enough or is it important to "upgrade"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: AKcharger on October 03, 2007, 08:57:00 PM
Thanks guys

Next question: Is the stock Electronic Distributor good enough or is it important to "upgrade"
i run a mopar perf elec , works good for me.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rolling_Thunder

street car ?  i say a MP dizzy would be fine...      but some people swear by MSD

firefighter3931

The MP distributor is fine.....but the MSD dizzy looks really cool.  :drool5:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

OK guys, I have the ignition part taken car of now the cam

I called COMP and they suggested this, what do you think?
216-228 @50 degrees
112 Cam lob seperation
454 intake and 480 exhaust

Oh, I dropped all the internals off at the shop yesterday, they're just waiting on the cam to do the bearings and heads

Thanks

400/470 Cast Iron heads and exhaust with 6 pack

Chryco Psycho

a friend got stranded 250 miles from home with the MSD Stand alone dist system ... Yes MSD Will warranty it but not the tow bill  :RantExplode:

Ghoste

Then again, Mopar Performance may not even warranty the part.  :icon_smile_wink:

firefighter3931

Quote from: AKcharger on October 05, 2007, 01:10:58 AM
OK guys, I have the ignition part taken car of now the cam

I called COMP and they suggested this, what do you think?
216-228 @50 degrees
112 Cam lob seperation
454 intake and 480 exhaust

Oh, I dropped all the internals off at the shop yesterday, they're just waiting on the cam to do the bearings and heads

Thanks

400/470 Cast Iron heads and exhaust with 6 pack

That's a pretty mild cam for 470 cubes..... would make a good tow motor !  :P

The Lunati 268* cam or an engle k56/k58 custom ground on a 112* lsa would be my choice. Either will make more power and lots of manifold vacuum for power brakes and easy tuning with the 6-pack.  :2thumbs:

Either of these would work fine with a stock converter and 3.23/3.55 gears.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

Cam on order! here's the 470 kit before I dropped it off at the shop  :icon_smile_cool:

471_Magnum

I seem to recall a very similar looking pile of parts on my floor not so long ago.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Rolling_Thunder