News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cant get spark to the plugs on my 440 with MP ignition....

Started by Blakcharger440, September 29, 2007, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I have a 70 Charger RT with a 440 that has the the MP electronic ignition kit but I cant get spark to the plugs! The car will crank over but I am not getting any spark.

I am getting power at the ballast resistor and coil but no spark at the plugs!
I pulled the MP orange box and tested it on my Roadrunner that also has the kit and it works just fine.

Anybody have any ideas on what it could be or possibly guide me through this???

tecmopar

Is this a new, untried set up that was just installed. If it is, double check all of your wiring, check the reluctor air gap inside the distributor, make sure the is a rotor in it etc etc, things like that sometimes get overlooked on a new install, good luck.

no318

The module has to be grounded through the mounting bolts.  I have seen that happen before.  (No body ground strap, thick paint under the module, etc).  Since you know the module works, the prob. has to be a wiring prob, pickup coil, or coil.  I agree with tecmopar.

Blakcharger440

Blakcharger440

It still will not start.

This 70 Charger RT is in the process of being put back on the street and so I reinstalled all the wiring back into it and then installed the MP ignition kit.

I have checked the distributor,coil and orange box on my Roadrunner which also has the MP electronic ignition kit and all these parts are functioning good. Why am I not getting spark from the coil???

I am getting 11 volts of power from both positive and negative sides of the coil...should that be happening?

Could it be the regulator that is causing my problem of getting no spark???

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Steve P. on September 30, 2007, 12:22:38 PM
Did you check your ballast resistor??

I have not checked my ballast resistor or regulator. Could either of those be the problem?? I am still getting power to the coil but both sides positive and negative are reading around 11 volts.

1BAD68

I'm not familar with the MP Ignition but I just had the same problem with my car and Pertronix Ignitor.
everything had power but no spark from the coil, turns out I had a bad ground on the distributor pickup coil. The pickup coil completes the ground for the coil causing it to fire to the distributor cap.
Never underestimate the power of a ground.

John_Kunkel

You say you are getting power to the ballast and coil but have you checked for power at the ballast with the ign. switch in the Start position? The power supplied to the ballast with the switch in Run is shut off and overridden in the Start position.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.