News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 ci runs hot.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, September 27, 2007, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Howdy, just picked up 69 Charger w/ 440.  It runs hot :yesnod:  I put a 160* thermostat in it today and changed the antifreeze.  It will run normal for about 10 to 15 mins then slowly creeps up in temp.  If it's at idle it slowly heats up, but as I drive it, it cools somewhat, but not to a normal warm temp.  Any Ideas?  I'm thinking headgasket, and a little compression is going in the water port? Yes?  Basically it runs past the 1/2 way point on the gauge and sometimes 3/4 past.  This car also has 4:10's but I don't feel the higher revs is the cause, especially that it heats up on idle.  There is no radiator support but a clutch fan that is new and pulls strong.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Tom_440

Does it have a fan shroud? Radiator tubes clear?

myk

Are you going off of the original gauge?  It might be off, so I'd recommend hooking up an aftermarket gauge to verify the temperature before you dig any deeper.  You're not boiling over or anything, right?  Also, I can't seem to recall "normal" running 'temps, however my 440 runs anywhere from 180 to 210 depending on conditions...

Rolling_Thunder

put a fan shroud on it...    and usually your fan should be within 1" of the radiator...    if it is not use a spacer...     if you're using an aftermarket flex fan...   toss it...    start with the easiest things first man...    :2thumbs: 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69chargeryeehaa

before you suspect the head gasket, i think you have to do a little more testing.  Do a compression test, examine the results.  Then pressure test the cooling system, and perhaps do a leak-down test.  Those tests will pinpoint any issues.   Check all the usual issues, like hoses for collapse, timing, mixture, RAD CAP, ect.....every 440 i've had did the same thing, and ususally going back to all stock fixed fan, pulleys, shroud, 180* stat, and perfect tune fixes it.  Flush and fill the cooling system, and have the proper mixture of antifreeze.  Also confirm the guage is reading accurate, buy a cheep modern temp guage and temp install it, most overheating issues are false readings of the guages. 

good luck. :cheers: :popcrn:

slim

I have a 440 in my 66 charger ( not numbers matching ). I had a problem just like that I put in a new thermostat, radiator, and shroud. None of it helped very much. I found a from a friend that it was because my heater hoses were switched. Fixed the problem.

Joshua

Have the radiator flushed and tested.....I did on mine and it was discovered that the tubes were very thin and losing effiency....rather than worry about a thin rad, I went with an aluminum one.....best thing I ever did! :2thumbs:

myk

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on September 28, 2007, 09:01:08 AM
Also confirm the guage is reading accurate, buy a cheep modern temp guage and temp install it, most overheating issues are false readings of the guages. 

I'm telling you man, it's the easiest, cheapest route that you can take right now.  My money's on the gauge...

Needa68

High volume water pump did the trick. Our 440 was running very hot (had an aftermarket gauge telling us so) and the new water pump worked wonders. She nevers goes in the red now.
Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

chargerman68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 28, 2007, 12:48:54 AM
put a fan shroud on it...    and usually your fan should be within 1" of the radiator...    if it is not use a spacer...     if you're using an aftermarket flex fan...   toss it...    start with the easiest things first man...    :2thumbs: 

have aflex fan on mine the temp on break in wasnt too high..i think :Twocents:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

440fan

I flushed 5 times and refilled with coolant and replaced my old thermostat with a Mr Gasket High Flow  180 degree thermostat. The R/T runs much cooler and is in the 180 degree range...