News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whooshing sound from brake pedal

Started by 73Charger, September 26, 2007, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73Charger

I just noticed that as I press my brake pedal down for about the first say inch of movement, a whooshing sound comes from the front like its near the pedal. What could this be?  There seems to be a inch or so of play in the pedal where it is going down and making this noise but not braking the car.  The fluid seemed ok in the MC. Is this normal or should I fix something?  I don't recall it making this noise before.
Jeff
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

Nacho-RT74

there is already a thread about that around. I have had always the same and no prob by now.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

OttawaCharger

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

70charger_boy

That my friend, sounds like a bad master cylinder.  Open the cap of the master cylinder and stick your finger in the bottom.  There probably is alot of sludge in it.  That is what happened to my T/A.

Also, if you step on the pedal with the car running does the pedal go down another 1/2 inch or so?

73Charger

Yeah, after I shut off the car, if I keep on pressing on the pedal a couple times, the sound goes away and the pedal doesn't move but I thought that would make sense without it running
I checked out that other thread thanks.  It seems that most people would say it is a leak in the booster.
Question, they also say that if this is the case, the pedal will "gradually go to the floor" 
- Does this mean if you keep your foot on it - it will gradually go to the floor?  or does it mean gradually over time? like days weeks months, years?
Basically - how worried should I be ?
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

70charger_boy

Quote from: 73Charger on September 27, 2007, 08:50:33 PM
Yeah, after I shut off the car, if I keep on pressing on the pedal a couple times, the sound goes away and the pedal doesn't move but I thought that would make sense without it running
I checked out that other thread thanks.  It seems that most people would say it is a leak in the booster.
Question, they also say that if this is the case, the pedal will "gradually go to the floor" 
- Does this mean if you keep your foot on it - it will gradually go to the floor?  or does it mean gradually over time? like days weeks months, years?
Basically - how worried should I be ?

When you put your foot on the brake with the car and apply the pedal it will stay in that position for a few seconds and then drop down and stay in that position.  If you continue to drive like that one day the brake pedal will just drop down and you will have no brakes at all.  It happened to me.
If you get a motive power bleeder and attach it to the master cylinder apply the brakes and if air bubbles shoot out of the MC into the motive air hose than you know it's the MC.
Make sure if you buy a reman MC you bench bleed it before install