News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wont start....

Started by cowboy90, September 22, 2007, 11:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy90

Ok im havin a hellofa time gettin my 73 se to start, everybody is tellin me somethin different. Most of the time when i try and start it, it will start then die. i would try for a few times, then every time all of the sudden it will just make a clicking noise, it is like the battery is dead but we will jump it and the same thing will keep happenin, but the next day or two it will go back to phase 1. the guy i bought it from says that it has a new starter in it. any ideas on what is wrong?

ChargerSG

First one can be carb problem, what carb is on it? Nr2 Sounds like a battery or a starter problem, could be a bad connection on a wire to. Hope you get it going, good luck :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

aifilaw

ChargerSG is correct.

You have two seperate problems... the clicking noise can be caused by a dead battery, or a poor connection. If you have it jumped properly ( and it is very easy to have rusty cables, or not perfect contact to the battery through the jumper cables) and it still does the clicking thing you  have a cable problem... a cable that is not tightened down, and corrosion and rust free connection from the battery to the starter will have this happen. a bad starter relay will cause this problem as well. I'm assuming the starter is ok, and the other wire to the starter has been checked and is not partially grounded and is on there properly.

check all your connections, make sure they are firm and tight.

if its dying again, after you get it cranked... are you removing the cables.... its entirely possible your battery and your alternator are bad... which would cause it to die just as soon as it runs out of juice.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads