News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REMOVING STEERING COLUMN - NEED HELP!

Started by TripleBlackGator, September 21, 2007, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleBlackGator

I am pulling the steering column and I'm at a point where I don't want to get heavy handed and break something. So...Look at the pictures. The arrows point to the fasteners I have already removed with the exception of the transmission linkage and pin at the end of shaft. Speaking of which does the linkage need to be removed to pull the column? I am guessing the pin at the end of the shaft can be left in place as well. If the linkage does need to be removed where the arrow is pointing what is the best way to remove that curly pin? I have never had any luck with those dumb fasteners. Thanks!
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

OttawaCharger

You'll want to unhook the shift linkage for sure.
Also, I removed the 4 bolts holding the plate to the firewall, not the two holding the column to the plate.  It give you room to take the shift arm out with the shaft.
Other than that, I removed the same bolts holding the column to the dash and I had to wiggle mine just a bit then it dropped down and out.
One thing that I didn't do and I wished that I had of is to remove the steering wheel before I took the column out of the car.  :brickwall:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

OttawaCharger

here's a pic that might help
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

squeakfinder

Also, be careful with the turn signal lever if its still attached when you pull out the column. There easy to break.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ottawa has the right way.....remove the 4 bolts from the firewall, not the t on the bracket.

Also the lower plate, you are forgetting a bolt towards the firewall.  (2nd pic)  taking the 4 bolts out of the column, the 2 nuts off the studs and the one bolt further down the column will make that whole bracket come off
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TripleBlackGator

Thanks guys. I wish you had replied sooner Just_6T9. I had already removed the column but was getting mucho aggravated  :brickwall:  when I couldn't lower the column due to that 3rd nut closest to the firewall. After I found it (it kinda hides up there) It dropped right down.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

MTPOCKET

Take out the seat gives you more working room.