News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did the four speed have the tailshaft weight like the automatic in 73......

Started by bandit67, September 17, 2007, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Race fans,  i acquired a 73 that was originally a four speed car but somewhere during its past , someone put in an automatic.  I have been gathering parts to return it  back to a four speed  big block car.  Today I was in my local Pick a Part stripping a 73 of parts  I wanted.   The factory 727 tranny had a weight bolted on the end of the tail shaft. My 72 auto car also had a weight bolted    on the tailshaft but was the round type.  I assume this was the factory's way  of smoothing vibrations from the drivetrain.  Did they do anything like this for the four speed cars.  I have a A 833 with the tailshaft for both E body and B body.  I believe this is correct for a 73. But I did not see any place where a weight could be mounted.   thanks.........

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bandit67

Once again, John K, what we do without you.  Why is that , JK, don't ya think if the auto needed it the four speed would too?  Have ya ever come across in info as to the factory engineering behind this.  thanks again .

John_Kunkel

The weight was installed on some cars to dampen vibration caused by "resonant frequencies". I guess the frequencies only occured with the automatics possibly due to the difference in tailhousing length/material. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bandit67

Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone who  has driven the weighted car ever removed it, and could feel a difference in the drive/ride?   I will play with my 72 like that when its streetable.