News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona for sale

Started by 65post, September 16, 2007, 05:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

pettybird

ouch.  I remember the car at the pigeon forge TN winged warriors meet, where the guy who restored it said he wasn't wanting to sell for a long time.  it was for sale within a year...

does it have a rear defroster?  i'm pissed i got caught up in handing out bogus "everyone knows" information and now i want the truth. 

Rolling_Thunder

Dave Nicholson owned that car previously correct?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

UFO

Dash alone pic is 414635.No rear defogger switch.Next pic is another Canadian car also no switch.

moparstuart

i know this car well.     Jim cordell here in kc my buddy owned and restrored it.   It was the last of the three famous basket cases out of canada .  Worst of the three and took alot to get it to that condition.  Their statements about the vins in that add scare me .     
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Yummy.........

That interior looks like my Dana, saddle tan 4-speed console............ Sweet !!!!
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

I got some interior shots that might show a rear defroster switch . And more pictures of this daytona that was in Canada when the guy Gilles was selling it for $10K.And car is now in Ohio

http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/carsinbarns25.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

that's ours!

414641, and yes it has a defroster.  f8/black, 440 console auto, ps/pdb, and not much else is known.  no fender tag, no bcast sheet.  options listed are the pretty obvious ones.  it has tinted glass in it, but the doors don't belong to the car.  also has a plain non-8 track dash, no tach.  after green, it was painted eb5, fc7 then fm3.  the quarters shown were the second set (by welding marks.)  the story goes that the car's sheetmetal went on a T5 hemi car, which fits as most of the sheetmetal on the car now is that color.  car has a '71 warranty non-hp short block, but has all date correct stuff on top (heads, intake, carb, dist, etc) so it was a warranty issue.  trans is a '71 used trans out of a st louis plant car.  8 3/4 rear has an open diff, so lord knows whether or not it had anything exciting in it.  i didn't bother to check ratio, but i'm assuming something dull like 2.76 or 3.23 with someone stealing the pumpkin.  the car would take a tremendous amount of work to put back on the street, so we're nonchalantly looking for a b-body shell and parts.  truthfully, a restoration of the body looked hopeless until recently with the emergence of repro sheetmetal--we own the marty robbins clone as well, and the two would become one.  now we're not so sure.  the floors and t-bar mount area are ok, the framerails are shot.  it's a real project, but i'd really like to see what could be done with it.

i would LOVE to know where to look for more information on this car!

i'm also looking for delivery/order # information on the car--who has the sheets for CDN cars?

hemigeno

414641 was listed as shipping to Trans Island Motors in Montreal, Quebec.  The SO number is 926315 according to the shipment list, and the build date is 610 for all but one of the Canadian-built cars...

That is one car I did not have on my list, so any information you can give me about what options would have been on the fender tag would be of immense help.  If we can get enough details, I'll bet we can create exactly what your fender tag would have read...

:cheers:

FJMG

610BX926315, Trans Island motors ltd. Montreal, Que. Hope this helps.  T5 hemi car??? wow!!
Make sure you join the two aero clubs.

hemigeno

Oh, and it's #165 on the Shipment list too...

A couple of questions:

If you think the car had an 8-3/4" rear axle and the original transmission is gone (so we can't check the speedometer gear), perhaps the only indicator of what gear ratio the car had in it (3.23 or 3.55) would be whether the Power Steering pump had an external cooler.  If it had the cooler, then it would have had a 3.55 cog set.  I am still hoping to find a 3.23 Daytona one of these days, as I am curious to see if it would have had a 22" radiator yoke.  I can't find anything that says for certain that one couldn't have been made with a 3.23 & 22" radiator, and there are C500s that were equipped in that manner (right, PT?)

Did it have a manual mirror or remote?

2-speed or 3-speed wipers?

Black stripe, black interior?

Can you tell if it had the light group (turn signals, trunk light wire harness, map light, etc.)?  For whatever reason, it seems a whole lot of Daytonas - especially Canadian cars - came with the light group.

From what you are saying, the car had G11 all tinted glass rather than just the G15 tinted windshield, correct?  Your rear seat roll-down windows might be your best clue if the doors aren't original to the car.

No M25 sill mouldings evident, were they? 

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

nascarxx29

More pictures of the former Canada daytona 414641

pettybird

Quote from: FJMG on September 18, 2007, 03:54:42 PM
    610BX926315, Trans Island motors ltd. Montreal, Que. Hope this helps.  T5 hemi car??? wow!!
Make sure you join the two aero clubs.

T5 hemi car isn't ours--that is a neat combo.  at least three exist to my knowledge IF the sheetmetal on my car was truly from a hemi car...

mom and dad joined both clubs before my first birthday  :coolgleamA:

pettybird

WOW list! 

If you think the car had an 8-3/4" rear axle and the original transmission is gone (so we can't check the speedometer gear), perhaps the only indicator of what gear ratio the car had in it (3.23 or 3.55) would be whether the Power Steering pump had an external cooler.  If it had the cooler, then it would have had a 3.55 cog set.
It does.  could have also been a super track pack car, too, right?  it has disc brakes.  how can i rule that out?

I am still hoping to find a 3.23 Daytona one of these days, as I am curious to see if it would have had a 22" radiator yoke. 

wasn't max cool standard on daytonas?  i know birds a LOT better...

doors have been changed...don't know.  currently has remote, will again.  i don't like manual mirrors.

two, motor and switch in the dash match

interior is black.  haven't pulled the pass. side marker housing, but i'm assuming there's no evidence left of the stripe through three full repaints.  it'll be white, though.  black stripe on F8 looks too dark.

Can you tell if it had the light group (turn signals, trunk light wire harness, map light, etc.)?  For whatever reason, it seems a whole lot of Daytonas - especially Canadian cars - came with the light group.

light group yes.  i thought it was odd that it didn't have 3 speed wipers, so it didn't get the charger preferred pack 1

From what you are saying, the car had G11 all tinted glass rather than just the G15 tinted windshield, correct?  Your rear seat roll-down windows might be your best clue if the doors aren't original to the car.

i'll check again tomorrow.

No M25 sill moldings evident, were they? 

what do they look like???

thanks a LOT for the questions!  it helps me to have others lay eyes on it, too!

pettybird

Quote from: hemigeno on September 18, 2007, 03:24:41 PM
414641 was listed as shipping to Trans Island Motors in Montreal, Quebec.  The SO number is 926315 according to the shipment list, and the build date is 610 for all but one of the Canadian-built cars...

That is one car I did not have on my list, so any information you can give me about what options would have been on the fender tag would be of immense help.  If we can get enough details, I'll bet we can create exactly what your fender tag would have read...

:cheers:

do you have the same list that joe machado has, or do you have the one sue and ed george have?  ed told me the info I got from machado is wrong...  what's with that?

nascarxx29

The first daytona shipment list that Greg K turned up only to had #385 daytonas listed where you sent in your vin tracing.It was later that Anthony Young writer of mighty mopars.Which way back mentioned where the first and last daytona were shipped to.Supplied winged warriors with a siimilar list listing # 501 daytonas.I couldnt say where Joe got his info from.Your car is #165 on the list of near 50 daytonas shipped to Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did a while ago was daytona per state totals from info on the daytona ship list
69 Daytona list per state totals going from the current standing list number to date #501 cars from pages supplied in my club newsletter that shows the new car shipments for 69 daytonas and locations shipped to Including serial numbers and dealer number and dealer location. Also shows what states did and did not recieve a 69 daytona .Starting with the 440s AL-11 AZ-5 AR-2 CANADA 45 CA-38 CO-12 CON-2 DE-1 FL-16 GA-16 HAWAII-2 ID-1 IL-22 IN-21 IA-3 KAN-7 KEN-5 LOU-7 ME-1 MD-2 MASS-5 MI-26 MINN-3 MISS-1 MO-21 MONT-1 NEB-4 NV-2 NH-2 NJ-6 NY-26 NC-13 NDKT-1 SDKT-4.OH-25 OK-9 ORE-7 PA-23 RI-3 SC-4 TN-5 TX-20 UT-1 VT-1 VA-13 WA ST-7 WA-DC-2 W VA-1 WI-9-The 426 states AZ-1 CANADA-5 CA-7 CO-3 GA-1 IL-1 IN-1 KAN-1 MD-1 MI-2 MO-1 NY-1 NC-1 OH-3 PA-1 SC-1 TX-3 WVA-1 WI-1 .Total #501 465- 440 Hemi-36 for the 47 states 1 line was unreadable unknown state. 2 cars were 440 dodge exec cars with no dealer location in house cars and figured in with the MI total.Only #3 states didnt recieve 69 Daytona on this current list Alaska-New Mexico-Wyoming .

FJMG

Supposedly all Dana-equiped cars had the larger half-round axle bumper and the 8.75 cars recieved the pointed one. Having said that, I have seen an original one owner dana-equiped car that has the pointed bumper so I do not know how accurate this is.
    When you pull the side marker, remnants of the original stripe may still be stuck to the inside of the 1/4 panel and if you carefully sand the bezel the layers of previous paints may be revealed. The first layer should be primer, the second body color (due to stripe delete) and the third stripe color, unless of course your bezel came from a car whose body matched the stripe, in which case the second layer is the stripe color.
    Factory disk cars came with 10" drums in the rear.
    If you carefully remove the undercoating(assuming your car has it?)  from the firewall directly behind the pass. front wheel, do notice any markings?

hemigeno

Quote from: pettybird on September 19, 2007, 12:40:31 AM
WOW list! 

:2thumbs:

If you think the car had an 8-3/4" rear axle and the original transmission is gone (so we can't check the speedometer gear), perhaps the only indicator of what gear ratio the car had in it (3.23 or 3.55) would be whether the Power Steering pump had an external cooler.  If it had the cooler, then it would have had a 3.55 cog set.
It does.  could have also been a super track pack car, too, right?  it has disc brakes.  how can i rule that out?

Yep, STPak was an option, and you're absolutely right that it would have had PDB's if that was the case.  There are quite a few A36 Daytonas with PDB's too, so that isn't an ironclad indicator.  If you can measure the brake line leading to the rear axle, that would probably be your best indicator since the flex hose for an 8-3/4" is different than for a Dana.  It's doubtful that someone changing out the axle would have also changed out that supply line.  The tee up by the brake booster is supposedly different on a Dana car than any other, but I don't know for certain if there is a part number stamped on it (never looked).  The P/N for that Dana-only tee is 1940622. 

There's still a possibility that the driveshaft length could tell you what was in the car.  A Dana car's driveshaft is about 1" shorter than a car with an 8-3/4" axle.  AFAIK they would bolt up with one another, with the difference in shaft length being taken up by how much the slipyoke went onto the transmission output shaft.  If the driveshaft from your car is about 51" center-to-center of the U-joint, that's a Dana axle propshaft - might mean the car had a Dana at one time.

Someone else might also have an idea of other clues to look for on that subject.

I am still hoping to find a 3.23 Daytona one of these days, as I am curious to see if it would have had a 22" radiator yoke. 

wasn't max cool standard on daytonas?  i know birds a LOT better...

Boy, you'd think so, but I have not found anything in writing yet that states such.  There was a Medium Cooling package that was definitely used on Daytonas, since that's what my 440 4-speed car has (055 2-core radiator).  We've kicked around which axle/transmission options required which cooling package in general on this thread.  Since there doesn't seem to be a mandated cooling package for the Daytonas like there was for the 'Birds, I have been wondering if a 440/727/3.23 Daytona would have come with a 22" radiator.  There are a few '69 Charger500s equipped this way, so my curiosity has been piqued to see if there are Daytonas as well.  With the "recommended" use of only 3.55 or 4.10 axle packages on automatic cars, I am wondering if very many (any?) 3.23 examples were built.

doors have been changed...don't know.  currently has remote, will again.  i don't like manual mirrors.

D'Oh!  You had said the doors were changed, should have known that'd change the mirror too...

two, motor and switch in the dash match

:icon_smile_cool:

interior is black.  haven't pulled the pass. side marker housing, but i'm assuming there's no evidence left of the stripe through three full repaints.  it'll be white, though.  black stripe on F8 looks too dark.

Still might be worth a look just in case.  Then again, since the Fender Tags don't spell out the stripe color, you have more freedom to do what you want.  My wife is lobbying for a white stripe/wing on my Daytona in lieu of the black it came with, but I'm too stubborn I guess. 

F8/Black/Black was the factory color combo on my R/T, and it is definitely dark.

light group yes.  i thought it was odd that it didn't have 3 speed wipers, so it didn't get the charger preferred pack 1

I've wondered if Chrysler was responsible for adding a few option packages to these cars, since there seems to be an awful lot of Daytonas with A01, G15 or G11, and things like that. 

i'll check again tomorrow.

:icon_smile_cool:

No M25 sill moldings evident, were they? 

what do they look like???

Those were the long anodized mouldings that ran along the rocker panels below the door.  Not too many cars had them, but you can usually see the holes where the anchors were if the mouldings used to be there.

thanks a LOT for the questions!  it helps me to have others lay eyes on it, too!

:cheers:  :2thumbs:

hemigeno

Quote from: FJMG on September 19, 2007, 09:01:00 AM
    Supposedly all Dana-equiped cars had the larger half-round axle bumper and the 8.75 cars recieved the pointed one. Having said that, I have seen an original one owner dana-equiped car that has the pointed bumper so I do not know how accurate this is.

Forgot about that one!  :slap:

I asked Vance Cummins if he had ever seen the larger axle bumpers on a non-Dana car, and he said he had NEVER seen them on anything but a Dana car and that includes his years of scouring junkyards since the mid '70s looking for details just like that.  Vance obviously has not seen every car Chrysler ever made, and as we know almost anything is possible with MaMopar.  FJMG is right though, that is probably one of the best indicators to look for.

pettybird

i also forgot there's a single point distributor in the motor--i'll look to see if it's the right one, but that would kill super track pack right there...

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on September 18, 2007, 05:32:51 PM  I can't find anything that says for certain that one couldn't have been made with a 3.23 & 22" radiator, and there are C500s that were equipped in that manner (right, PT?)

:yesnod: :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

Quote from: pettybird on September 19, 2007, 12:04:44 PM
i also forgot there's a single point distributor in the motor--i'll look to see if it's the right one, but that would kill super track pack right there...

Your comment on that point got me to thinking, so I dug out the '69 Data Book, and here's the description they gave:

Super Performance Axle Package
Code A32
(Available with 440 or Hemi w/ TorqueFlite.  N.A. w/AC)
4.10 w/H.D. 9-3/4" Dana Axle
Sure-Grip Differential
7-Blade Torque Drive Fan (Std. Hemi)
26" High Perf. Radiator w/Fan Shroud (Std. Hemi)
Power Disc Brakes

I know on the A33 and A34 options (Manual Transmission Only) they both mention having the dual-point distributor, so it is my assumption that they would have listed any option change in the distributor selection for Sales Code A32 also.  The parts book lists the distributor for a 440HP w/727 as 2875758 which is a single point.  It was always my assumption that all 440-4/auto cars had the single pointers but I could definitely be wrong on that.

:scratchchin: