News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3RD GEN hideaway headlamps

Started by chgr500, September 08, 2007, 12:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

I have had this concern twice now over the last month.....intermittently when I turn on my headlights my relay starts going crazy....I can hear it buzzing and clicking away like it's not cycling properly....lights and headlamp doors are functioning properly when this occurs....if I turn the lamps on / off a couple times everything straightens out and seems to fuction as they should....I am wondering if the problem may be within the relay itself or the headlamp motor???...I'm thinking the limiter switch in the headlamp motor may be at fault ....everything is stock with 30+ year old parts.......anyone have any similar concerns like this with a remedy or a direction to diagnose this ...I know I'll never be stuck without headlamps as I could unplug the motor and manually activate the headlamp doors...but that sucks!!!

71charger_fan

Are you sure there is no debris in the mechanism? I had the same thing happen recently which led me to finding a screwdriver I had lost.

chgr500

Quote from: 71charger_fan on September 08, 2007, 02:01:32 PM
Are you sure there is no debris in the mechanism? I had the same thing happen recently which led me to finding a screwdriver I had lost.

:smilielol: ...sorry to laugh...certainly no debris stuck in there....very intermittent concern  :scratchchin:

Plumcrazy

The next time that happens, unplug the headlight door motor.    If the relay stops buzzing then the limit switches inside the motor are not opening when the doors get to the end of their travel.  If it keeps buzzing then I would upgrade the relay to a modern unit.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Nacho-RT74

There is already new repacements relays
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71charger_fan

Laugh all you want. Once I found the problem, I had a good laugh at myself.

chgr500

Quote from: Plumcrazy on September 09, 2007, 09:13:19 AM
The next time that happens, unplug the headlight door motor.    If the relay stops buzzing then the limit switches inside the motor are not opening when the doors get to the end of their travel.  If it keeps buzzing then I would upgrade the relay to a modern unit.

Great idea...that will isolate the concern to each of the components..I guess it could always be the headlamp switch or wiring at fault as well but......anyway guess what happened tonight....ya buzzing relay...unplugged the motor and everything was quiet...plugged it back in and buzzing...cycled the headlamps a couple times and all's well......looks like I need to look for yet another motor....limiter switch problem....I have never taken one of these apart...lookin like it's time...I have a manual which shows some service procedures....but what about part availability????  Canada bites for gettin' stuff for cars like ours..$$$$$ ...I have a couple of other inoperative motors I will fiddle with first or parts...only a month insurance left anyway 'till Charger goes into hibernation...... but I notice the problem is of course now becoming more frequent....put it on THE LIST  :brickwall:\

Quote from: 71charger_fan on September 09, 2007, 01:43:46 PM
Laugh all you want. Once I found the problem, I had a good laugh at myself.

At least it didn't cost you anything but time... :2thumbs:

Thanks for the input Plumcrazy....sometimes I forget to think  :cheers:
....or maybe I should do a search on the forums for motor rebuilding.....see I'm starting to think again already  :icon_smile_big:

Plumcrazy

You may be able to fix the motor yourself.  The switches are attached to the plastic gearbox cover.  When you remove or reinstall the cover always make sure the motor is in the middle of it's travel.  You'll see  small notches on the cover and gear, just line them up.

What you need to do is adjust the switches so the contacts are a little closer together.  That way they will open sooner.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.