News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Shaft COUPLER

Started by ThmsFlesh, September 05, 2007, 09:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThmsFlesh

I found this part for 1973-1974 Dodge Chargers.  It may be a little pricey but worth it I think.  Information: 

www.jimsautoparts.com

NEW!!!

SP-868

End of Steering Column Shaft COUPLER (Manual & Power Steering; round solid rubber with steel core) - all 73-4 All B Body   $ 169.95

:2thumbs:  :scratchchin: :2thumbs:

1972Rallye

:o  Holy Crap!  I remember paying something like $13.00 for one of those at the dealer a few years ago... but if you need one, what are you going to do?  I'd check every dealer in the country first, though.

Thanks for the info!

Daytona R/T SE

That looks EXACTLY like the one I bought a couple of years ago for my 72 Imperial. I paid 80 Bucks at the time for an NOS one. Then I got paranoid  :silly: thinking I should have a spare, just in case. After looking around for a cheaper source for a few months, I e-mailed the guy back and bought another one  :yesnod:

Glad I did  :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

pettybird

what's the big difference between these and, say, cordobas or 80's furys?  can they be reworked?

ODZKing

Reserecting an old thread here. 
Decided to dig into the sloppy steering on the 73 and long story short came up with this little item.
I believe this is the problem 3575303
http://stores.atlaschrys.com/-strse-1644/rag-joint-2530541--dsh-/Detail.bok
My question is this: is that is what is inside this I have circled in the pic that has disintegrated?
I also see Jims has them SP868 and a few other places NOS ... WOW!   :o  Prices are rediculous.

moparguy01

for that price you are much better off talking to borgeson about one of their swivel style joints. takes up less room and works better for the same or cheaper.

ODZKing

ODZKing

73-4 Charger (B body) folks - Received the Bouchillon steering coupler yesterday.
For those who wondered what it is like, here are the pictures.
I am not sure what is inside but seems ceramic or even porcelain.  It is heavy, heavier than a hockey puck
It is the same thickness but about 1/8 inch smaller than a puck.  For those who wish to try it, I'd be interested to know if it works.  Me, I don't want to be the guinea pig so I am using this.  BTW, the price went up to $119.

ODZKing

Had the coupler issue taken care of yesterday.  
Here is what was left of mine.  
I am still uncertain how it steered as well as it did.   :shruggy:

resq302

:o  WOW!  Even looks like you are missing a piece!  Glad to hear it is all safe again!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Living on the edge again there Bob?   :lol:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on August 06, 2013, 10:11:23 AM
Living on the edge again there Bob?   :lol:

Yeah, to think I drove it like that for a while.  Only thing holding it was the screws/bolts that were fused in there - and good thing they were.
Obviously knew something was wrong but didn't know what. What a goofy design.
BTW, for those who are interested you can get at this from underneath with out pulling the column out of the car.
From above, no way.

Dino

Very scary my friend, glad nothing bad happened.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.