News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

some questions about my 440

Started by charger2fast4u, September 03, 2007, 06:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i have a 440 in my 68 charger i was told that it was orig a 318 and someone put a 440 in it down the line i don't know what year 440 it is and would like to find out another forum member told me that it was a 1972 440 because i gave him the numbers on the holley carb thats on it i tried finding the numbers on the block but i cant see them plus theres very little room to look on the side of the block since its in the car can i see the number on the block when it's in the car plus i'm not sure where exactly to look for the number can someone post a pic of where it is

0X01B8

looking from the front to rear, there's a pad just to the right of the distributor.  look for the dist clamp - it buts right up to the id pad.  it should read something like E440.  E is 69, F would be 70 and so on.  73s and later have the year stamped, like T73 440, I think.

charger2fast4u

on the one by the distributor it says H440 + x 10 12 2 what can you all tell by that and what all info will the number on the passenger side of the block tell me that the one by the distributor left out

Mick70RR

1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

charger2fast4u

so by looking at my stamping by the distributor H 440 + x 10 12 2 does that mean H is for 1972 440 engine + x means .010'' undersize crank and what is the 10 12 2 stand for is this information correct so far

charger2fast4u

my 440 is giving me a hard time to get running it starts up when i dump fuel down in the carb but will shut off after all that is burned off i'm getting fuel up to the carb but i guess it aint spraying down into the intake could my fuel pump be going out and not putting out the right psi to get it to run or what could be causing it not to run

Purple440

If you're timing is too low your car won't run so check that.  Can you see fuel in the bowls?  Insert a fuel pressure gauge between your pump and the carb and see if you have at least 5 or 6 psi.  You said it's a Holley - check out the Holley manual and it will tell you how to setup your carb to default settings and go from there.

Good luck,

- Doug

firefighter3931

Quote from: charger2fast4u on September 08, 2007, 11:55:56 PM
my 440 is giving me a hard time to get running it starts up when i dump fuel down in the carb but will shut off after all that is burned off i'm getting fuel up to the carb but i guess it aint spraying down into the intake could my fuel pump be going out and not putting out the right psi to get it to run or what could be causing it not to run

Fuel filter is bad or fuel pump is bad. Try disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and turn the engine over....if no fuel comes out you have a blockage somewhere or the pump is not working. work your way back from the carb and you will find the problem.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger2fast4u

i put on both carbs and get the same problem runs until the fuel burns off i dumped in the  carb i am getting fuel to the carb i can see it go through the filter which is about 1 and a half foot away from the carb and gas does come out where it hooks up to the carb what could cause this i can't check my timing until i get it to atleast stay running instead of shutting off after 10 seconds maybe