News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifting an 727 auto Trans?

Started by G Force, September 01, 2007, 01:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Force

May sound like a silly question... :lol: But
Will it hurt,, or damage a stock 727 auto transmission with a basic shift kit, if you constantly shift throught the gears?
You know.. 1st...2nd...3rd... then down shift to second and first to slow the car down.
Secondly,, Will it hurt or damage a 727 trans. if every now and then while driving in third gear,,you let off the acelerator,  slip it into nuetral and rev the engine? you know.. Vroom,, Vroom..   
I kind of miss driving a 4 speed.

Ghoste

It'll speed up normal wear and tear processes but I doubt there is a way to tell you by how much.  As far as outright breakage, well, it all depends on how deep into the throttle you are when you are pretending it's a four gear.  :D
Overall, the 727 is a pretty rugged and reliable transmission.

John_Kunkel

When manually shifting into and out of 1st gear the rear band is applied/released, the rear band was never designed for continous use that's why it isn't applied in Drive. Continued use will wear it out prematurely.

Some shift kits (particularly "shift improver" kits) will increase the rear band wear even more when manually shifting.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.